Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
Target Drone is a common sight at Unified Space Forces's bases both as a target drone for live fire exercises and as an additional support vehicle for the Unified Forces. The Target Drpne is light, manouverable and cheap to manufacture. Its is also expendable as it does not require a live pilot to be behind the control stick. Everything is controlled by the AI, (Artificial Intelligence.) stored with the armoured cockpit at the front of the Drone. When the Target Drone is not being directly controlled by a Unified Forces technician on a ship or base, the AI controls the fighter following a strict set of orders.
The Target Drones are designed primarily for space combat use hence the reason why they do not have any form of landing gear. What they do however have is a top mounted arrestor hook that allows them to be secured to holding pallets onboard space bound vessels and stations. They can also be affixed to the underside of SB-10 StarWings Space Bombers in an atmosphere for atmospheric use. They would not however be able to land under their own power however and would need to re-hook up to the SB-10, ship or space station.
Advanced Unmanned Fighter Drone
UN Spacy/Macross Consortium
Can be controlled remotely by a pilot or operated autonomously via AI.
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) AI Cockpit 80
(2) Engine Nacelles 75
(3) Main Body 150
Wings (3) 50 each
- Destroying the front of the Drone Fighter will disable or destroy the Artificial Intelligence brain that controls the fighter which will immediately disable the craft. If in an atmosphere it will automatically cut all power and crash to the ground. If in space it will simply drift where it is.
- Depleting the MDC of the engine nacelle will destroy the Drone Fighters ability to fly. If in an atmosphere it will automatically crash to the ground, although the AI brain will attempt to glide the fighter to a soft landing so that it can be recovered by UN Spacy Forces at a later time.
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will disable the Drone Fighter. If controlled by the onboard AI the Drone will self-destruct to avoid capture by an enemy.
ATMOSPHERIC FLIGHT SPEED:
Mach 4.0+ (2680 mph/4082 kmph) max speed at 10,000 meters or less above sea level. Mach 5.8+ (3886 mph/5916 kmph) max speed at 10,000-30,000 meters above sea level. Cruising speed is usually Mach 2 (1340 mph/2040 kmph). The Drone Fighter is NOT capable of achieving orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet without additional assistance. Maximum rate of ascent is 68,000 meters/minute. Structural G limits are +40.0 to -25.0 Earth gravities.
The Drone Fighter cannot hover in place like a VF and must maintain a minimum speed of 100 mph (152 kmph) to remain airborne.
WEIGHT: 3,940 kg empty. Maximum takeoff weight in an atmosphere without booster assistance is 13,800 kg.
- LASER CANNON:
The main weapon of the Drone Fighter is a single powerful laser cannon. The laser cannon is normally recessed within the nose of the fighter until used when it slides forward into a firing position. The laser is semi-fixed forward, and can fire within a 40 degree arc from the front of the aircraft.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault, Anti-mecha
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Air-to-ground strafing runs
- RANGE: 8000 feet (2400 m)
- DAMAGE: 1D6x10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: The lasers can fire up to 4 blasts per round
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
- HIGH MANOUVERABILITY MISSILES:
For additional offensive capability, and especially during the SuperNova Trials at New Edwards Test Flight Centre on Eden the Drone Fighter is capable of carrying the new High Manouverability Missiles on its wings.
- Primary Purpose: Anti-mecha
- Secondary Purpose: Assault
- Range: 80 miles (128.7 km)
- Damage: 5D6 x 10 M.D.
- Rate of Fire: Can be fired individually or in volleys. If necessary, all missiles can be fired in a single volley.
- Payload: 6 missiles total.
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE DRONE FIGHTER:
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) COMBAT COMPUTER: The Drone Fighter is equipped with a highly advanced AI combat computer, which allows the drone to operate autonomously during missions without input from human controllers. The AI computer is smart enough to devise new strategies and use subterfuge to win battles if unexpected events happen or of the odds turn against the drone. In addition, the computer learns to anticipate and counter enemy maneuvers during combat. For every 5 rounds the Fighter is engaged in combat against a foe, the Drone Fighter gets a +1 to initiative (cumulative) for the remainder of combat. This bonus is only valid when the Drone is solely piloted by the AI; if a technician takes over remote control of the craft the bonus is lost.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the Drone's strike bonus.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the Drone's sensors. The system allows the drone to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the drone to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus if the drone is trying to track a ground-based target.
- RADAR: 200 mile (321 km) range.
- SCRAMBLER RADIO COMMUNICATION: The Drone Fighter is equipped with a long range, omni-directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities that allows it to stay in contact with a controlling UN Spacy base. The signal is encrypted so that it cannot be intercepted by an enemy (and then used to take control of the Drone), but it can be jammed by ECM systems. If the Fighter loses contact with its controllers the drone's AI system will automatically engage. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of the drone by the enemy, the Fighter is equipped with a self-destruct system. When detonated, the craft will generate an explosion that will do 3D6x10 M.D. to everything within a 40 foot (12 m) area. The Fighter will be completely obliterated by the explosion and will not be salvageable. If the Main Body MDC of the Drone reaches 0 the AI will automatically activate the self-destruct system.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR DRONE FIGHTER TRAINING:
as mentioned above, the Drone Fighter can operate autonomously or can be directed via remote control from a UN Spacy base or starship. The stats below represent bonuses for operators trained in remote control operation of the Drone Fighter. In order to have Drone Fighter combat training the controller must also have the following skills: Computer Operation
, Radio: Scrambler
, Read Sensory Instruments
, Pilot: Jet Fighter
(or Pilot: Variable Fighter
), and Weapon Systems
Untrained operators attempting to control a Drone Fighter only get bonuses equivalent to VF-11 Thunderbolt Basic Training.
ADVANCED DRONE FIGHTER COMBAT TRAINING
- Advanced training for controllers of the Drone Fighter.
- 2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels three, six, nine and twelve.
- +1 to strike
- +5 to dodge.
- +3 to roll with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Full-speed Ram - Does 1D6x100 M.D. to BOTH the Drone Fighter and the target. Used as a suicide attack only.
If the Drone Fighter is put in autonomous operation mode (fully controlled by the AI computer) then the Drone has the following skills, abilities, and bonuses (treat as a 3rd level Variable Fighter pilot):
DRONE FIGHTER AI COMBAT STATS
- Nine (!) Attacks per Melee
- +1 on initiative, plus learning bonuses (see AI Computer entry).
- +2 to strike
- +5 to dodge
- +3 to roll with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike on an unmodified roll of 20.
- Full-speed Ram - Does 1D3x100 M.D. to BOTH the Drone Fighter and the target. Used as a suicide attack only.
- Skills of note:
- Optic Systems (70%)
- Detect Ambush (70%)
- Detect Concealment (65%)
- Tracking (65%)
- Navigation (80%)
© Aaron Sketchley