Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Sourcebook: FCS and Weapons Rules|
FAST Packs, Super Packs and Super Parts
FAST packs, Super Packs and Super Parts are generally written per single unit. Therefore, two packs or parts of the same kind can be fire linked. For example, a pair of NP-BP-01 FAST packs have a combined total of 32 missiles and a rate of fire (ROF) of 1 to 8 missiles.
In this arrangement, if one pack or part is destroyed, malfunctions, is rendered useless from battle damage or is purged, the details revert to a single unit. In addition, the flight characteristics of the vehicle may be sufficiently disrupted, forcing either a great reduction in speed or the purging of the remaining pack or part.
Regarding missile loads, GM should endeavor to list the stats reflecting their individual loads, so that there is no argument when a pack or part is lost.
Firing Missiles at Multiple Targets AKA Itano Missile Circus
- Firing up to all remaining missiles in 1 volley.
- Volleys larger than 50 missiles count as 2 actions.
- The Rate of Fire (ROF) determines the maximum number of targets that can be attacked simultaneously.
- Fire-linking is possible only between Super Packs and internal launchers aimed in the same direction, firing the same class of missile. The ROF can be combined.
Gun Pods and Beam Machine Gun Burst and Spray Rules
Gun pods and beam machine guns can be set to fire single shots or bursts. The bursts can be directed at a single target or sprayed at a number of targets close to each other.
Burst and spray rules:
- stats list the damage per shot (E.g.: 1D12 MD) and damage per burst (either 5 or 10 rounds; E.g.: 1D12x10 MD per 10 rounds)
- stick to multiples of the burst value for longer duration bursts (E.g.: 2D12x10 MD per 20 rounds, 4D12x10 MD per 40 rounds, etc.)
- Sprays - short burst (E.g: 10 rounds), effects 1D4 targets, and does the single shot damage per target (E.g.: 1D12 MD).
- Sprays - medium burst (E.g: 20 rounds), effects 2D4 targets, and does the single shot damage per target (E.g.: 1D12 MD) with a 50% chance of hitting bystanders.
- Sprays - long burst (E.g: 40 rounds), effects 4D4 targets, and does double shot damage per target (E.g.: 2D12 MD) with a 70% chance of hitting bystanders.
- beam machine guns have a limited number of shots per melee round. Once all the shots are used, the weapon cannot be fired again until the next melee round, when the capacitor has fully recharged.
- Single shot precision shooting is extremely difficult with multiple rotating barrel equipped weapons. It is possible, but with only the normal bonus to strike.
As gun pods fire at rates of 1,800 rounds per minute or faster, they can expend all of their rounds in 3 melee rounds (or 600 rounds per melee round). Due to the act of shooting a gun pod requiries aiming, leading the target, checking what's being the target, depressing the trigger and so on, 100 rounds is the recommended maximum per single attack. Bursts of more than 100 rounds will require additional actions to fire.
is possible, but the effects vary with the type of weapon used and the amount of shots fired. In almost all cases, if a missile is hit, it's destroyed. Roll a D100. If the result is less than the fratricide %, then ALL the missiles in the volley are destroyed.
- Gun pod - single shot: 15% chance of fratricide.
- Gun pod - 10 round burst or Laser - singe shot at 1 missile: 50% chance of fratricide.
- Gun pod - 10 round spray: hits 1D6 missiles: 50%+5% per hit chance of fratricide.
- Gun pod - 20 round burst or greater at 1 missile: waste of ammunition.
- Gun pod - 20 round spray or greater: hits 1D6 missiles per 10 rounds fired. 50%+5% per hit chance of fratricide.
- Lasers - spray: hits 2D6 missiles: 50%+5% per hit chance of fratricide.
- Missiles: ineffective against other missiles.
Weapons in Variable Craft
In addition to paying attention to ranges, speeds, weapon performance, keep in mind that if you cannot directly see or detect a target, you can't hit it if you shoot at it.
- Gun pod is more powerful then the lasers, ALWAYS.
- Battroid is the best mode to be in for combat.
- Fighter mode is great for flying fast, but poor at hitting anything with accuracy; unless if the are travelling at similar rates of acceleration along similar vectors.
- GERWALK offers the best of both worlds, however it is the master of none.
- Beam weapons are considered to always be charged and/or charging.
- All weapons are considered to be hot (armed/active) as the process of making them hot is negligible in terms of actions required.
- Similar weapons with their business ends pointed in the same direction, such as the VF-19's wing-root mounted REB-23, are fire-link-able.
© Aaron Sketchley