Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
A biomechanical weapon developed by the Sultan to assist in her efforts to destroy all Spiritia in the galaxy. Externally, the unit is an armoured variable vehicle that can transform between battroid and fighter forms. Internally is a Zentraadi-sized life that is mostly meshed with the outer armour's support equipment. In addition to serving as the pilot, the bio-form powers the weapons and shields of the Black Samba and can restore the external armour, akin to the Vajra. Indicatations are that the Black Samba continue to grow their outer armour over time - like the shell of a snail - becoming more ornate with horns and so forth.
The Black Samba were few in number, with less than 10 being seen deployed together at any one time. Tactically, they rely on brute strength and armour. They have a tendency to grow over confident and careless.
After the defeat of the Sultan, Sheik Yer-bootii used the Black Samba. It's unclear if any survived his destruction.
Vehicle Type: Special Biological Variable Weapon Platform
Class: Aerospace Fighter
Manufacturer: the Sultan
Attached To: Sector Seven Space Pirates
MDC BY LOCATION:
Head Mega Baster 150
Shoulders & Thrusters (2) 200 each
Shoulder Cannons (2) 120 each
Arms (2) 125 each
Hands (2) 50 each
Legs & Thrusters (2) 225 each
Main Body 450*
Rear hip thruster 150 each
Spiritia Barrier Shield 200**
* Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the Black Samba.
** Can only be reduced by Spiritia Attacks, Anti-Spiritia Weapons, or Fold Waves. Large kinetic impacts will damage the internal body of the Black Samba, sometimes rendering it unconcious, but never destroying the creature.
, BATTROID MODE: 192 Kmph
, BATTROID MODE: 15 m high or 21 m long without thrusters.
FLYING, GERWALK/BATTROID MODES: 0 Kmph to Mach One (1,072 Kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere.
FLYING, FIGHTER MODE: Cruising speed, at 10,000 m, is usually Mach 5.07. The maximum cruising speed at 30,000+ m is Mach 22+. The Black Samba is VTOL capable in all modes.
The Black Samba is capable of launching into satellite orbit over a Earth-class planet without additional rocket assistance. Maximum rate of ascent is 61,900 meters/minute. The structural G limits are +60 to -45.
MAX ENGINE THRUST: 65,200 kg of thrust, x 2 maximum instantaneous thrust.
- HEIGHT: pending
- WEIGHT: pending
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH: pending
- POWER PLANT: pending
- AUXILLARY POWER PLANT: pending
- CARGO: pending
1. Meltorator Cannon
Fired from a 'gapping maw' in the nose section.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Heavy Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 3,330 m
- DAMAGE: 1D10x10+100 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: the cannon can fire once per melee
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited. However, firing more than a few times will deplete the Black Samba's energy supplies.
2. Arm pulse beam cannons
Cannons with high rates of fire that are akin to a VF's gun pod.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 3,000 m
- DAMAGE: 1D10 per round. 1D10X10 MD per 10 r burst.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks. Note that firing of the GU-11 isn't limited to only 10 or 20 rounds. Any variation can be fired (it is recommended to stick to multiples of 10 for ease of damage resolution.)
- PAYLOAD: unlimited
3. Shoulder Cannons
The Black Samba has two semi-fixed converging energy cannons mounted at the front of the shoulder assemblies. In fighter mode the lasers can only be aimed along the direction of travel. In GERWALK and battroid modes they can be aimed in any direction by moving the vehicle’s shoulders. They are mostly used in fighter mode.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Air-to-ground strafing runs
- RANGE: 50,000 m
- DAMAGE: 2D10x10+10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots only. The cannons can be fire-linked so that firing both cannons at the same time counts as one attack (does double damage).
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
4. Dog-fight Missiles
The Black Samba is equipped with four internal missile launchers, two in each shoulder thruster assembly. The missiles are akin to BMM-24 High Maneuverability Micro Missiles are standard. The missiles may be fired in any mode. There are rumours that the Black Samba generate the missiles, like the Vajra. However, it only appears that way due to the large payload they carry.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- MISSILE TYPES: BMM-24 High Maneuverability Micro Missiles, though any type of Micro Missile can be used.
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1 to 4.
- PAYLOAD: 50 missiles per launcher; 200 total.
5. SPIRITIA BARRIER SYSTEM
Generated by the life form within the Black Samba, the Spiritia Barrier System is akin to a Fold Wave Barrier. Only Spiritia Attacks, Anti-Spiritia Weapons and weapons based on Fold Waves can defeat and penetrate the barrier.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense
- PROTECTION: 200 MDC total
- REGENERATION RATE: 500 MDC per round.
- SIZE: The barrier can be up to 3 m in diameter.
- DURATION: Unlimited. However, numerous attacks with the Meltorator Cannon and/or extended periods of combat that heavily use the Arm Pulse Beam Cannons and Shoulder Cannons will deplete the Black Samba's energy reserves; thereby deactivating the Spiritia Barrier System.
6. COUNTERMEASURE DISPENSERS
Combined chaff, flare and squib dispensers mounted on them that are useable in all modes. When used, it fires a burst of 6 flares, 1 exploding chaff container or one parachute squib per 1 unit listed in the stats. Chaff, flares and squibs are each unique in their means of countering attacking missiles. The following will describe the individual details of each of the the three types of countermeasures. The short and easy benefit is that they add a +3 to dodge the missiles.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: distraction (especially true for the ECM squibs.)
- RANGE: GM's arbitration. Squibs effect a 1 Km³ spherical area.
- BONUSES: +3 to dodge. Roll to dodge after rolling on the following per missile:
01-40 Missile distracted - explodes harmlessly in the countermeasures.
41-80 Missile distracted - it loses track of its target. Depending on the missile type and its remaining fuel, it could reacquire you, or another target in the area.
81-00 No effect.
Note: +5% to the above chart per every additional countermeasure deployed after the first. For example: 3 countermeasures changes the table to 01-50, 51-90, and 91-00.
- RATE OF FIRE: unlimited. (Author's recommendation: maximum of 4 per attack to better reflect their fallibility.)
- PAYLOAD: 8 bursts of flares, 8 chaff pods and 4 parachute squibs per dispenser.
- CHAFF pods explode roughly 2 seconds after being deployed. They fill the area with a plethora of small, highly reflective metal pieces that distract radar-seeking missiles (only!)
- FLARES are fired in bursts of six to eight per unit. They only work against heat-seeking missiles. Flares can also be used as a signal at night or in space or to blind an opponent at close range who is relying on visual type sensors.
- SQUIBS create an ECM field effecting a 1 Km³ spherical area for 1D4 melees. They affect only radar-seeking missiles, but are less effective than the chaff pods. (-15% on the chart.) The ECM field prevents the targeting radar from locking on if either the opponent or the deploying vehicle, or both, and possibly others, are in the area of effect. Also, it is impossible for a radar broadcasting from the outside of the area of effect to detect on the direct opposite side of the area of effect. ECM squibs are effective in covering a retreat.
Note that ECM (and the related ECCM) will broadcast where the deployer is located. (When a big chunk of the radar return gets distorted, one knows roughly where the ECM emitting craft is and the most likely place the enemy forces will be.)
7. HAND TO HAND COMBAT
If necessary, the Black Samba can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. The BS is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc..
- Restrained Punch: 1D6 M.D.
- Full Strength Punch: 4D6 M.D.
- "Booster" Punch: 1D6x10 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
- Tear or Pry with Hands: 2D4 M.D. + additional ripping and frame damages.
- Kick: 4D6 M.D.
- Leap Kick: 2D6x10 M.D.
- Body Flip/Throw: 2D6 M.D.
- Body Block/Tackle: 2D6 M.D.
- Stomp: 1D6x10 M.D. (only effective against small objects) Note that for some objects, they will be instantly destroyed.
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE Black Samba
© Aaron Sketchley