Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
The Meltrandi Flagship is the largest ship in the Meltrandi Fleet. It is capable of ferrying large numbers of Queadlunn-Rau Powered Suits and troops into combat.
During the final battle of Space War I over Earth, many of these ships were lost. However, the few that remained were integrated into the Unified Space Forces Earth Defence Force, charged with the protection of Earth. The others not allied with Earth fled the battle and still roam the galaxy.
These ships have an interesting feature in that the small command section can detach from the main hull, much like the Queadol Magdomilla Command ship. Unlike the Quadol Magdomilla, the Flagship was designed to go into combat and leave the command section behind to coordinate the fleet attack. Unlike other fleet flagships, this configuration was not equipped with a heavy particle beam cannon. Its most deadly weapon are the incredible numbers of Powered Suits that it carries.
Shebaro-Gar 8744650th Meltrandi Fully-Automated Armory Planet
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Forward 1/3 of Ship (Heavy Particle Cannon, Command Center) 200,000
(2) Middle 1/3 of Ship (Crew Quarters, Landing Bays) 225,000
(2) Rear 1/3 of Ship (Main Engines, Engineering) 300,000
Sensor Array 1,000
(3) Main Thruster(4) 20,000 each
(3) Auxiliary Engine(2) 8,000 each
(3) Maneuvering Thrusters (96) 50 each
Heavy Laser Cannons (4) 2000 each
Retractable Laser Turrets (90) 140 each
Retractable Missile Turrets (200) 100 each
Airlocks/Access Hatches (350) 200 each
Armored outer hull (per 40ft area) 300
Interior walls (per 20ft area) 20
Special Systems 8,000
(4)Detachable Command Section:
Main Hull 5,000
(3) Main Thruster 1,000
(3) Auxiliary Engine 500
(3) Maneuvering Thrusters (12) 50 each
Retractable Laser Turrets (4) 140 each
Retractable Missile Turrets (8) 100 each
Airlocks/Access Hatches (6) 200 each
- Depleting the MDC of the forward 1/3 of the ship will inflict heavy damage on internal systems and will force the ship to use the Sensor Array for all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The ship can still operate, but is at -1 on initiative, -1 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by one fourth. Destroying the main sensory array will have the same effect. Destroying both will deprive the ship of all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The ship can still operate, but is at -3 on initiative, -3 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by one half.
- Depleting the MDC of the middle 1/3 or the rear 1/3 of the ship will destroy the flagship. All power systems, thrusters, weapon systems, and life support will fail, and (2D4x10)% of the crew will be killed instantly by explosions, debris, and loss of atmosphere. There is a 70% chance the ship will violently explode. That's an explosion inflicting 1D10x10,000 MD to any object within 10 miles. If the ship does not explode, then the ship will be an unsalvageable wreck (though the spacewreck may still be valuable because of the technology contained within the remains).
- Depleting the MDC of the main thrusters will force the ship to rely on its secondary thrusters. Depleting the MDC of the main AND secondary thrusters will leave the ship adrift in space. In an atmosphere, the battlecruiser will still be able to land and achieve orbit using antigravity generators. The maneuvering thrusters will propel the ship at 10kph in any direction.
- Depleting the MDC of the detachable command section will likely kill the command staff (90% chance) and will force the ship to use the Sensor Array for all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The ship can still operate, but is at -1 on initiative, -1 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by one fourth.
0.24 speed of light (38,400 miles per second)
Speed (Auxiliary Drives):
Speed (Space Fold):
1 light year every 6 minutes
Can land and take off if necessary but not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere for extended periods of time.
Unlimited (estimated life span unknown)
182,000,000 tons (standard
Fold System: Shebaro-Gar Fold System Cluster
Sublight Drive: Shebaro-Gar Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: Internal
Auxiliary Engine: Shebaro-Gar Rocket Motor Cluster
Sensor System: Shebaro-Gar Standard Tracking Cluster
1. HEAVY LASER CANNONS (4):
The main weapon of the Flagship, aside from its heavy arsenal of fighters, are the four main laser cannons. These weapons are located on the lower half of the leading edge of the port and starboard main engines.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- RANGE: 100,000 miles in an atmosphere. Double in space
- DAMAGE: 1D6x1000 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Once per round
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited
2. RETRACTABLE LASER TURRETS (90):
The primary anti-warship weapons, (not including the Heavy Laser Cannon,) are the retractable laser turrets positionaed across the hull of the ship behind armoured sliding section of the hull. Due to turrets size and lack of agility the laser turrets have great difficulty in attempting to hit variable fighters and other mecha, and have a -12 to hit against mecha, and gain an automatic dodge against blasts from this weapon.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship/Anti-Planet
- RANGE: 160,000 km in an atmosphere. Double in space.
- DAMAGE: 1D4x100 M.D. per turret
- RATE OF FIRE: Twice per melee
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
3. RETRACTABLE MISSAL TURRETS (200):
These are very similar to the Laser Turrets except that they fire missiles instead of laser beams. They can use several types of missiles according to the mission at hand. Each turret is capable of 360 degree rotation with a 180 degree arc.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Aircraft
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defense
- RANGE: Varies with warhead used
- DAMAGE: Varies with warhead used
- RATE OF FIRE: Each turret can fire once per melee, and can be combined in any volley combination of at least 10 or more, up to 30 missiles. Volleys can be directed at different targets.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The Flagship was equipped with an anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs. The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at speeds of up to 400 m per minute. The system will function so long as the main energy system (in the rear 1/3 of the ship) can supply energy to it.
- DETACHABLE COMMAND SECTION:The Detachable Command Section is where the central command and control facilities are located. This section can detach from the rest of the ship and function independently of it. The Command section can attain the same speed as the rest of the ship, and has a small defensive complement of lasers, and missiles. It also has a fighter complement of 100 Powered Suits. Typically, the command section will be left in the rear battle lines in order to allow the fleet commander the ability to coordinate the entire battle instead of worrying about her ship. The rest of the flagship can bring it's awesome battle, and sensor ability to bear in the front lines, and relay all data back to the command section.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The Flagship had sufficient life support to provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for up to 20,000 people for up to 20 years (air was recycled). In an emergency the life support system could support up to 50,000 people at one time. The ship contained enough food and water onboard to support the crew for up to 10 years (with recycling).
- LONG-RANGE TRACKING SENSORS: The Flagship Command Center was equipped with a complex sensor system that could track and identify up to 1,500 craft simultaneously. The system had a 3,200 km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the Flagship was equipped with a fold system capable of propelling the ship through hyperspace at speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes. The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life expectancy of the spacecraft (which is unknown).
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the Flagship was equipped with impulse engines that could propel the craft at speeds up to 0.24 speed of light (38,400 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines were mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the ship is limited to speeds of Mach 2.0 maximum due to hull stress.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: As part of the Flagship's sensor systems, it was equipped with subspace sensors that could essentially instantly detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles) distant from the carrier. Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and cannot detect objects of less than 60,000 kg (this includes most Meltrandi and UN Spacy mecha).
Ship-borne Vehicles (STANDARD):
- Quaedlunn-Rau: 4,000
- Theatre Scout Recon Pods: 12
- Recovery Pod: 10
- Reentry Pods: 20
- Liason Craft/Shuttlecraft: 12
- Hover Platforms: 400
© Aaron Sketchley