Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|OCTOS Variable Amphibious Destroid|
OTM information was obtained by the military businesses that belonged to the nations in the Anti Unification Alliance sphere of influence. Moreover, the OCTOS is one of the weapons that were developed in the midst of the flow of information that was seized on the Destroid series, a new style land warfare weapon that the Unified Forces side was in the midst of developing. This craft has a complicated, large-scale variable system and is said to have transformed from a submarine into an assault-landing tank and carried out land warfare. The OCTOS was born as a practical weapon after having a progression of development that was unexpectedly smooth. Even though production was limited to a small number because such things as the high production cost, the OCTOS has a toughness were even if there were a few breakdowns, it was still alright in combat. The OCTOS was said to have accumulated the trust of many soldiers in battle.
The OCTOS was jointly developed by the Daimler Hyperspace Company and the Rubin Central Bureau for Marine Engineering. It is the same generation of weapons as the Unified Forces Destroids, Cheyenne, and so on. After the No.1 craft rolled out in 2006, 92 were produced until by the time that the Unification War ended. The later models, which were produced from the development of the small-sized reaction engine, had an improvement in movement performance by exchanging the engines for the reaction engine. In addition, the surplus engine power made it possible for the OCTOS to operate energy conversion armour and its defensive capabilities greatly improved.
The main battlefield of the OCTOS was the coastline. The appearance of the OCTOS approaching the coastline, commencing with the Mayan Island landing operation, frequently confirmed each front of the Unification War. Even in combat, it demonstrated great fighting strength. Furthermore, after the end of the Unification War, the Unified Forces restarted production of the OCTOS, and until the destruction of the production line in the First Interstellar War, an additional 28 units were produced.
Anti Unification Alliance
One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body 240
Legs (4) 80
Chain Gun (1) 150
Missile Launcher (1) 50 each
Searchlight 25 each
Reinforced Pilots Cockpit 100
Reinforced Passenger Compartment 150
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha. The pilot will be automatically ejected from the doomed mecha before it explodes by the Destroid's main computer.
maximum of 40 knots (74 kmph); later models are 45 knots (83 kmph)
250 m (design pressure resistance depth is 375 m)
GROUND MOVEMENT - ON FOOT:
maximum 45 kmph
GROUND MOVEMENT - WALKING ON WHEELS:
maximum 95 kmph
11.2 m (land warfare four legged form)
18.2 m (submersible cruising form)
Equal to a P.S. of 60
CARGO: Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
POWER PLANT: Underwater use High Capacity Fuel Cell Cluster / Land use Diesel Turbo Engine x1 (exchanged for a reaction turbine in later models).
1. Bifors 57 mm Multi-Purpose Rapid-Fire Cannon (1):
Identical in design to the gunpod carried by the SV-51,
In land warfare, the OCTOS was operated as a four legged style multi-legged gun battery. It is not usable while in Submarine Cruise mode.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: Does 3D6 M.D. per short burst, 6D6 M.D. per long burst, or 1D6x10 M.D. for a full melee burst.
- RATE OF FIRE: equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks.
- PAYLOAD: 600 rounds in an internal ammo drum.
2. EIGHT-TUBE MISSILE LAUNCHER:
For fire support during beach landings the OCTOS features a single missile launcher pod on the top left dorsal section of the craft. Not usable in submarine cruise mode.
- RANGE: 3.2 km
- SPEED: 804 kmph
- DAMAGE: 1D6x10 MD per missile
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 or 2 per per attack.
- PAYLOAD: 6 missiles
3. Bifors 57 mm Multi-Purpose Rapid-Fire Cannon: (2)
Top dorsal mounted laser guns provide additional punch to the OCTOS. The lasers resemble the head lasers found on the Variable Fighters of the Unified Forces.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: 2D4 M.D. per laser for a single shot, 2D4x10 M.D. for a burst (counts as one attack).
- RATE OF FIRE: Single shots or bursts only. The cannons can be fire-linked so that firing both cannons at the same time counts as one
attack (does double damage).
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
4. ANTI-PERSONNEL MACHINE GUN (1):
Positioned on the ventral side of the main body, the machine gun is positioned for attacking infantry at close range and providing supporting suppresive fire of its own troops during beach heads.
- RANGE: 1,000 m
- DAMAGE: 5D6 S.D.C.
- RATE OF FIRE: 20 rounds per burst. Rate of fire equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks
- PAYLOAD: 2,000 rounds
5. ADDITIONAL ANTI-PERSONNEL MACHINE GUN (1):
The cockpit is positioned below the 12.7 mm twin beam machine gun turret. The hatch consists of double doors for getting on and off the OCTOS. Furthermore, an additional machine gun can be set next to the cockpit.
6. HAND TO HAND COMBAT:
If necessary, the pilot of the OCTOS can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. The Destroid is quite agile, and can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches and kicks, rolling with impacts, etc..
- Punch: 1D4 M.D.
- Kick: 1D6 M.D.
- Body Block/Tackle: 1D4 M.D.
- Stomp: 1D4 M.D. (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE OCTOS:
- AUTO-PILOT: The OCTOS is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot. Although not as complex as those equipped in Variable Fighters, it can be reasonably trusted to get the Destroid from point A to point B safely. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the Robot is near its destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near the Destroid.
- COMBAT COMPUTER W/HUD DISPLAYS: The Destroid is equipped with a combat computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. The entire cockpit canopy of the Destroid is a large HUD display, which allows the computer to display large amounts of data to the pilot and even highlight enemies and missile attacks with overlaid graphics. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 15,000 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 500 targets simultaneously.
- EJECTOR SEAT: The reinforced cockpit of the Destroid contains an ejector seat which can be fired when the mecha is destroyed. The ejecter seat contain thrusters firing it high into the air before the parachute attached opens. The ejector seat also contains a powerful locator beacon. The combat computer is programmed to automatically eject the pilor if the mecha is destroyed (main body MDC reduced to 0), but this can be overridden if the pilot is feeling suicidal for some reason.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 91.5 m. A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to 91.5 m away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The ejector seat of the Destroid is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled Destroid or ejected pilot. The range of the signal is 640 km. Most Unified Forces's ships, Variable Fighters and Destroids can locate and track homing signals, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 160 km. Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 610 m. This optical system projects a beam of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 610 m. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 610 m. A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 321 km range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 960 km or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of a Destroid by the enemy, the pilot can activate the self-destruct system, which will cause the Destroid to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The pilot will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the ejection sequence.
- STANDARD SURVIVAL GEAR: The OCTOS comes equipped with a portable survival kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight,two hand flares, one rocket flare, a compass, a small mirror, a pocket knife,dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply forone person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.). Also included amongst the survival gear are short use aqualungs, and flippers for escape while underwater.
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The OCTOS's cockpit is pressurized, and also provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized breathing. The pilot's suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that promotes blood circulation during deep dives, and is water proof.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR OCTOS COMBAT TRAINING:
- Advanced training for pilots specializing in the OCTOS
- 2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels three, six, eleven and fifteen.
- +1 on initiative.
- +2 to strike
- +2 to parry
- +2 to dodge
- +2 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Body block/tackle/ram - 1D6 M.D. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round.
© Aaron Sketchley