Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Micron Power Armour Mk 309|
The UN Micron Power Armour Mk 3.09 is the Special Forces upgrade to the Mk III. The base Mk III is light, agile, form fitting, capable of limit in space and offers protection against low powered mecha scale weapons. The Mk 3.09 has taken those levels of performance to the next level.
The Mk 3.09, though retaining some of the basic design features of the Mk III, is better thought of as a completely separate vehicle. Where the Mk III is strikingly similar to the Zentraedi Nousjadel-Ger, the Mk 3.09 is not. For starters, the Mk 3.09 is roughly 30% larger then the Mk III. In order to incorporate all the features demanded by the UN, the designers opted to create an enlarged unit with a cockpit/control interface more akin with that of the Zentraedi power armour; with the chest cavity doubling as a cockpit with only the pilot's legs extending out of the torso section and into the upper legs of the vehicle. The effect is a more crouched appearance, due to the way that the pilot is saddled in the power armour and how the pilot's legs are used to actuate the legs. In addition, the backpack has been significantly enlarged and expanded upon. Part of this is for the inclusion of a thermonuclear turbine engine and its fuel reserves that provides a much more effective flight capability. The other reason is the inclusion of missile launchers with the power to damage, if not destroy mecha sized opponents. The artificial arms
contain powerful auto cannons capable of attacks against micron and mecha scale opponents.
The Mk 3.09 is capable of limited flight in an atmosphere. However, due to the nature of the vehicle's missions this capability is mostly used for skating at high speeds close to the ground and making leaps over large distances or up great heights. In general, personnel equipped with the Mk 3.09 use other vehicles for insertion and removal from an operation.
The Mk 3.09 offers the pilot full environmental protection, and is able to operate in all environments, from water to space. However, it is recommended that the suits exposure to highly acidic environs be limited at best - as the resultant corrosion may erode the suits seals and the interior may become compromised. Additionally the vehicle has seen a substantial increase in armour. Though, it certainly is not able to withstand direct hits from mecha scale weapons. It will offer protection against nearby explosions and glancing blows. The Mk 3.09 does offer excellent protection against micron scale weapons - though that protection shouldn't be considered absolute.
The Mk 3.09 has a camouflage system built in. In essence, it is an active stealth generator that is basically only effective in space flight - if the pilot is taking measures to ensure the vehicles stealthy characteristics.
Learning to use the Mk III does take time, which is why the UN Armed Forces reserve the suit for specialist PA troops. However, via its unique (for micron power suits) design, pilots skilled in operating VFs will find striking similarities that make the Mk 3.09, overall, easier to master then the Mk III and other UN micron power armour.
At present, the Mk 3.09 is highly classified and its existence is denied by UNG Officials. The officials cite that the Mk 3.09 is merely a flyboy's wet dream, considering how expensive it is to build and maintain the Mark III. To this end, there are no ensignia or emblems to indicate that the vehicle is UN and pilots are to do there utmost to not allow the vehicle to be captured, either in whole, part or on film, by the UNG's enemies, allies or civilian
Vehicle Type: UN Micron Power Armour Mk 3.09
Class: Micron Power Armour
Manufacturer: Unified Government
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support and cushioning System.
Customer: Unified Army and Unified Marines.
Design Features: fully humanoid form for enhanced hand to hand combat. Large backpack with 3 dimensional moveable thrusters and internal missile launchers. Enclosed cockpit in the torso with only the pilots legs extending out of the torso and into the upper legs of the vehicle.
SDC BY LOCATION:
The entire Mk 3.09 has an AR of 19. Meaning that any unmodified roll to strike of 19 or higher will penetrate the armour and hit the pilot inside. Any unmodified roll to strike below 19 will only hit the armour. AR does not apply to MDC weapons.
Upper Legs ²
Knee Thruster ³
Main Body ¹
Back Pack º
Engine Thrusters ³
¹ Depleting the SDC of the main body will destroy the Mk 3.09. If in a vacuum the suit will decompress.
² Destroying the upper legs will reveal the pilots leg within. There is a good chance that the pilot's leg will be highly injured in the process. In a vacuum, the unit will decompress.
³ Destroying a knee thruster reduces flying speeds by 25% and prevents skating. Destroying both reduces the top speed by 30%. Destroying a backpack thruster will reduce the top flying speed by 35%. Destroying both will reduce the speed by 70%.
º Destroying the backpack will destroy the turbine engine and the fuel supply of the Mk 3.09. In space, the vehicle will be able to move by veneer thrusters alone. There is also a chance that the reactant fuel load will explode (GM's discretion) causing 1D3x10 MD.
The Mk 3.09 has extremely efficient and powerful moveable thruster arrays above the shoulders on the backpack and on the outside of the knees. The vehicle also has a few strategically place veneer jets for maneuverability in space.
RUNNING: speed is roughly the same as the user's SPD. Fatigues at 1/3 the normal rate.
SKATING: in effect, hovering 1 to 10 cm off of the ground. 250 Kmph.
LEAPING: Capable of rocket assisted jumps.
FLYING: 300 Kmph in an atmosphere. Roughly Mach 1 in space.
- HEIGHT: 2.75 m
- WIDTH: 2.0 m
- LENGTH: 1.5
- WEIGHT: 150 kg + pilot.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH: equal to a PS of 25.
- POWER PLANT: Kranss-Maffai MT1708 micro-thermonuclear turbine engine. Used to recharge the battery during extended missions. Turbine engine is considered to be noisy. Space flight and extended atmospheric flight will deplete the fuel reserves quickly. Fuel load: 7 days normal operations. 6 hours if constantly flying.
- AUXILLARY POWER PLANT: Longlife Battery. Used during segments of the mission where maximum stealth is required.
- CARGO: Small compartment behind the pilot's seat for personal belongings. Additional equipment can be carried via backpack or military belts, though they may inhibit the Mk 3.09's capabilities.
1. MICRO-MISSILE LAUNCHER POD
The backpack of the Mk 3.09 contains four separate dogfight missile launchers. Each is loaded with a single all-purpose Raytheon Erlikon GH-30B I/IR-guided micro-missiles. Until use a retractable hatch covers the launcher.
- RANGE: 4.9 Km
- DAMAGE: 1D6x10 MD per missile.
- RATE OF FIRE: Individually or in volleys of 2-4 equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks.
- PAYLOAD: 1 micro missiles per launcher for a total of 4.
Note: the 4 missile launchers can be replaced with SES spiritia amplifier speaker units.
2. 10 mm PALM AUTO CANNONS
The main armament of the Mk 3.09. The weapon port is concealed in the center of the palm of the hands and doesn't interfere with regular activity. The ammunition, firing mechanism and barrel of the weapons are mounted inside the forearms of the power armour. The weapons are mechanically preset to fire in burst of either 10 or 25 rounds, or until the pilot releases the trigger or the magazine is emptied. This weapon system can be used against micron (SDC) and mecha (MDC) targets.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense
- RANGE: 750 m
- DAMAGE: 1D6X10 SDC per round. 10 round burst, single target = 1D6X100 SDC. 25 round burst, single target = 2D6X100 SDC. Note, for bursts using greater then 25 rounds, increase the damage by a scale of 1D6X100 SDC per 10 rounds OR refer to the modern weapons rules for machineguns.
- The Auto Cannons can be used for sprays: 10 round spray = 1D6X10 SDC, affects 1D4 targets. 25 round burst spray = 1D6x10 SDC, affects 2d4 targets with a 50% chance of hitting bystanders. Longer duration sprays (up to limits of the magazine): 2D4x10 SDC, affects 4d4 targets. Chance of hitting bystanders is 70%.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks. Note that firing of the Auto Cannon isn't limited to only 10, 25 or 200 rounds. Any variation can be fired (it is recommended to stick to multiples of 10 for ease of damage resolution.)
- PAYLOAD: 200 rounds per arm. Note: The Auto Cannons CANNOT be reloaded in the field.
3. HAND HELD WEAPONS
Any handheld weapon can be used by the Mk 3.09. If used, the weapon is either easily placed into a holster or is used only during the first few phases of combat and discarded. One of the design features of the Mk 3.09 is its "free-hands" combat abilities. Oddly enough, the most commonly used hand weapons to date are clubs! They are usually quickly grabbed out of materials within reach. The second most commonly used weapon is the UN hand held rocket launcher followed by high power machineguns.
4. HAND TO HAND COMBAT
The Mk 3.09 does give some bonuses in hand to hand combat, unlike its predecessor, the Mk III. The Mk 3.09 does not impede the agility of the wearer and the artificial servos in the arms and legs do increase the hand to hand damage of the wearer.
- Pulled Punch: 1D8 SDC
- Swat: 2D6+10 SDC
- Full Strength Punch: 1D4x10+10 SDC
- Booster Punch (2 attacks): 1D8x10+15 SDC or 1D2 MD.
- Snap Kick: 4D6 SDC
- Kick: 1D6x10+10 SDC
- Leap Kick (2 actions): 2D6x10+15 SDC or 1D3 MD.
- Body Flip/Throw: 4D6+10 SDC (difficult, but well trained pilots can do it.)
- Body Block/Tackle: 2D6+10 SDC
- Stomp: 1D6+10 SDC. (only effective against small objects).
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE UN POWER ARMOUR Mk 3.09
- ACTIVE STEALTH SYSTEM: The Active Stealth in the Mk 3.09 is somewhat similar to that included in Variable Fighters. The prime difference is that it is no where near as effective and a lot more experimental in nature - a lot of sacrifices were made to micronize the system and fit it into a micron sized power armour. Unlike passive stealth systems, like those used by the VF-17 Nightmare or the old USAF F-117, the Mk 3.09's stealth system actually absorbs radar waves in an energy field projected around the mecha rather than reflecting them. Active Stealth, like all stealth systems on aerospace craft, is only truly effective at a distance. At short range, 500 m or less, the effect of the active stealth field is negated and the vehicle is detected almost like normal. At medium ranges, between 500 m and 7.5 Km, the active stealth field is effective but easily overcome by skilled radio operators. The active stealth field is most effective at ranges over 7.5 Km, making the Mk 3.09 virtually invisible on radar screens. Note that there are other means of detecting a vehicle and active stealth only counters radar directed at the Mk 3.09.
NOTE: The Active Stealth System can be damaged or destroyed. Once the mecha has lost half of its main body MDC, there is a 50% chance that the stealth system will fail every time the main body or backpack of the craft is hit. Direct hits to the backpack have a 35% chance of disabling the system. Once the stealth system has failed, it will not work again until repaired at a UN Spacy base.
- AUTOPILOT: The vehicle is equipped with a computerized autopilot, allowing the pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The autopilot can be programmed with a single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near the mecha.
The autopilot is only useable in flight mode - usually used during long distance travel between way points, if used at all.
- COMBAT COMPUTER W/HUD DISPLAYS: The Mk 3.09 Power Armour is equipped with a combat computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. The helmet`s visor displays the information to the wearer of the suit in a HUD display format, which allows the computer to display large amounts of data to the pilot and even highlight enemies overlaid graphics. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 1,000 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 25 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to approximately 100 m away.
- HEADLIGHTS: mounted at the knee joint. 61 m.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special coating on the armour prevents the penetration of life threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the combat computer and will sound an alarm if there is a breach in the protective shielding and what the levels of radiation are. The same goes for breaches of the suit whilst in a vacuum.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The Micron Power Armour is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled Destroid or ejected pilot. The range of the signal is 160 Km. Most UN Spacy ships, Variable Fighters and Destroids can locate and track homing signals, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 32 km. Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and provides the +1 bonus to hit.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the suit, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by IR sensors. The system allows the suit wearer to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 750 m. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 750 m. A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR - 25 Km range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 320 km or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent the capture of the vehicle by the enemy, the pilot can activate a self-destruct system, which will cause the vehicle to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (the time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage is contained within a 6 m area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated.
Note: GM's may wish to reduce the damage to an SDC level.
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: The Mk 3.09 Power Armoure comes equipped with backpack mounted equipment pouches which, amongst other things contain, a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket flare, an universal direction finder, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife, dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.) There is ample room for more items such as extra food and water, ammunition, and other equipment.
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Mk 3.09 Power Armour suit is pressurized, and provides air feeds to the suits helmet that provides them with pressurized breathing.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR MICRON POWER ARMOUR Mk 3.09 COMBAT TRAINING:
BASIC POWER ARMOUR COMBAT TRAINING
Basic training for non-pilot military personnel.
- +1 action/attack per melee.
- Add one additional action/attack at levels seven and twelve.
- +0 initiative
- +1 strike (weapons only, not hand to hand.)
- +1 parry.
- +2 dodge.
- No tilt-dodge.
- +1 roll with punch, fall or impact.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Body block/tackle/ram - 1D10+10 S.D.C. plus a 30% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round.
ADVANCED POWER ARMOUR COMBAT TRAINING
Advanced training for pilots specializing in the UN Micron Power Armour Mk 3.09.
- +2 action/attacks per melee.
- Add one additional action/attack at levels three, six, eleven, and fifteen.
- +1 initiative
- +3 to strike (weapons only, not hand to hand)
- +4 parry
- +3 dodge
- -5 Tilt-dodge (available only while flying)
- +3 roll with punch, fall or impact
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand
- Body block/tackle/ram - 2D6+10 S.D.C. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round
© Aaron Sketchley