Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Assault Submersible Mothership "VCV-551 Valhalla III"|
The Sentinel Class Carrier is the newest and smallest addition to the UN Spacy Fleet, having only begun to be produced recently. Although
this 114 metre Carrier is designated as a Stealth Attack Carrier is certainly not a front line combat vessel and is designed for Special Forces and Reconnaisance missions where its speed and stealth are paramount to the completion of its mission. The Sentinel Carrier carries only a small complement of Variable Fighters for reconnaisance purposes, or Special Forces missions. These Fighters are always stealth capable Fighters, usually VF-19 Excaliber's or VF-22 Sturmvogel's, for Special Forces assignments, or VF-17 Nightmares for Fleet reconnaisance. Only a handful of these vessels have been manufactured and assigned to specialist units, however the UN Spacy plans to put more into production in the near future.
Unified Government (Earth)
Stealth Submsersible Carrier
OTEC Company/Unified Space Forces
Crew: 30 total
Main Ship: 20
VF Pilots: 6
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body 5,000
(2) Bridge 750
(2) Sensor Array (on top of Bridge) 200
Main Sensor Array (Foldout) 1,000
(3) Main Engines/Power Plants (2) 1,500 each
(3) Secondary Engines (4) 600 each
(3) Small Guidance thrusters (10) 50 each
Triple-barreled Laser Cannon 500
Anti-Aircraft Missile Launchers (6) 250 each
Clam Shell Section 2,000
Catapult Arm 800
Small Airlocks/Access Hatches (14) 250 each
Outer Hull (per 40ft area) 120
Interior walls (per 20ft) 20
(4) Pin Point Barriers (4) 2,500 each
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the Carrier out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internalgravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
- Destroying the Bridge will instantly kill the command staff and deprive the ship of all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The range and targeting capabilities of the secondary systems are equal to that of a VF-11 Thunderbolt. The ship can still operate, but is at -3 on initiative, -3 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by half. Destroying the main sensory array atop the Bridge will have the same effect, but the command staff will not be killed instantly
- Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its secondary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND secondary engines will leave the ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the antigravity system useless due to loss of power).
- The Pinpoint Barriers regenerate at a rate of 1,250 MD per second (2,500 MD per melee round). If destroyed, a barrier will completely regenerate within 2 seconds (1 melee rounds). See the Pinpoint Barrier System entry for details.
0.20 speed of light (32,000 miles per second)
Speed (Auxiliary Drives):
Range Unlimited (1 light year every 6 minutes)
Planet bound: Can land if necessary but not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere. Can
only land in a body of water (does not have landing gear).
Maximum Range: Unlimited (estimated 20 year life span, which can be extended with regular maintenance and overhauls)
Length: 120-150 m
650,000 tons (empty)
Power System: OTEC/General Galaxy Main reactor
Fold System: OTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold Cluster
Sublight Drive: OTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: Internal
Auxiliary Engine: Shinnakasu/Shinsei Industries/Agar Nuclear Pulse Rocket Motor Cluster
Sensor System: Standard & Subspace Mass Detector
1. TRI-BARRELED BEAM GUN (1):
This triple barreled Beam Gun is capable of delivering sizable amounts of firepower to any fire fight the Carrier may find itself in. The gun turret can swivel a total of 240° to the left and right.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defence
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- RANGE: 1,600 km
- DAMAGE: 3D6x100 M.D. (1D6x100 per barrel)
- RATE OF FIRE: 4 times per melee.
2. ANTI-AIRCRAFT MISSILE LAUNCHERS (6):
For anti-aircraft defense the Carriers are armed with medium-range missile launchers set towards the front of the ships hull. Each launcher contains 6 missile tubes allowing volleys of up to 6 missiles to be fired at a single target per launcher. Once depleted, the missile launchers are reloaded by
3. PINPOINT BARRIER DEFENSE SYSTEM:
Originally developed by researchers onboard the SDF-01 Macross during Space War One, the Pinpoint Barrier System is a standard defense system on board all UN Spacy starships, including the Sentinel
Carriers. The system generates four small disc-shaped force fields that can be positioned anywhere along the ship to deflect missiles, energy beams or projectiles. Each pinpoint barrier is about 200 ft (61 m) in length and can absorb up to 2,500 MD in damage, which then regenerates within four seconds (1 melee round). The barriers can also be layered on top of each other to generate a field which provides 10,000 MDC and can even deflect heavy particle beams (sometimes).
The four barriers are controlled by operators in the command tower of the carrier. These operators are instructed to defend (1) the command tower, bridge, and sensor array, (2) main engines, (3) hangar bays, and (4) weapon systems, in that order. The operators primarily concentrate on defending the ship against larger spacecraft and leave defense against mecha attacking the carrier to the VF pilots.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense (the pinpoint barrier system cannot be used as a weapon)
- RANGE: Up to 91.5 m from the surface of the vessel.
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: Can sustain up to 2,500 MD per round. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- RADIUS: 61 m
- DEFENSIVE MOVEMENT: Can move from one end of the carrier to the other in less than a single round. Trained operators can attempt to block attacks up to 8 times per melee (counts as a parry) and are at +7 to block. Untrained characters can parry up to their number of hand-to-hand attacks with their normal parry bonuses only.
- PAYLOAD: Nearly inexhaustible. Will work as long as system is functional (see below) and engines are intact. If main engines are destroyed, the barrier will loose power and not function.
NOTE: If all four barriers are grouped in a single spot they can deflect a heavy particle beam attack, such as the one generated by the Macross Cannon, Zentraedi/Varuta command warships, and some Protodeviln. However, the beam will completely destroy all four barriers and put incredible strain on the pinpoint barrier system, to the point where it may short out. After deflecting an energy beam, roll percentile dice on the table below to determine additional effects/damage.
- 01-05: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 06-20: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 21-35: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair (yes, DAYS of work).
- 36-64: Completely destroyed! System can be rebuilt, but will require new parts and 2D6 DAYS of work to replace.
- 65-79: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair.
- 80-94: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 95-99: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 00: It's a miracle! Trivial damage only, system will be operational again in only 4D6 melee rounds!
an automated loading system that takes 15 seconds (one melee round) to reload all 8 missiles.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Aircraft
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Medium Range Missile can be used. Smart missiles are commonly used to avoid hitting friendly aircraft.
- RANGE: Varies, typically 80.4 km.
- SPEED: Varies, typically 2,571kmph.
- DAMAGE: Varies, typically 2D4x10 M.D.
- BLAST RADIUS: Varies, typically 15 feet.
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 2, 4 or 6 missiles per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: Each launcher holds 6 missiles. Once the missiles are expended the launcher is reloaded within 1 round via an automated system. The reload system holds 36 missiles per launcher.
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The Sentinel Carriers are equipped with an anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs. The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at speeds of up to 400 m per minute. The system will function so long as the main engines can supply energy to it.
- ELECTRONIC COUNTERMEASURES (ECM) "STEALTH" SYSTEMS: The Sentinel Carriers are equipped with advanced ECM packages commonly referred to as "Stealth Systems". These systems disrupt enemy radar and tracking systems, making it difficult for them to lock onto the Carriers with weapons. The stealth systems give the Sentinel Carrier a +3 to dodge, +2 to strike and +1 on initiative in combat WITH OTHER STARSHIPS ONLY. VFs and other close-range combat mecha are not affected by these systems, nor are Protodeviln. The Carriers Stealth systems will fail if the main engines are destroyed.
- HYPERSPACE COMMUNICATIONS: Based on the same technology as the space fold system, the hyperspace communications relay allows faster-than-light communication between UN Spacy starships and other vessels or planetary bases. Hyperspace communications are still not instantaneous, however. Audio/video communication travels through hyperspace at a rate of about 1 second per 4,000 light years, so messages communicated over vast distances can still take seconds or minutes to arrive.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The Stealth Carriers have sufficient life support to provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for 100 people for up to 1/2 year (air is recycled). In an emergency the life support system can support up to 150 people at one time, though living conditions onboard will get extremely cramped at that point. The carrier also holds sufficient food and water to support 100 people for up to 6 months.
- LONG-RANGE LASER/SATELLITE RELAY COMMUNICATIONS: The impressive communications array of the Stealth Carrier can communicate with up to 1,000 craft simultaneously at ranges of up to 1,440 km. This range can be boosted indefinitely by using satellites or other spacecraft as to relay communications.
- LONG-RANGE RADAR: The radar array of the Stealth Carrier is equallyas impressive as the communication system, and can track and identify up to 2,000 craft simultaneously. The radar system has a 3,200km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the Stealth Carrier is equipped with an OTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold System Cluster, capable of propelling the carrier through hyperspace at speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes. The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life expectancy of the spacecraft.
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the Stealth Carrieris equipped with OTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster engines that canpropel the craft at speeds up to 0.20 speed of light (32,000 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines are mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the Carrier is limited to speeds of Mach 3 maximum due to hull stress.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: The Sentinel Carriers are equipped with subspace sensors, which are based on the same principles as the hyperspace communications array. These sensors can essentially instantly detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles) distant from the Carrier, and the readings are used both for early warning and for navigation when travelling at sublight speeds. Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and cannot detect objects of less than 60,000 kg (this includes most variable fighters).
Ship-borne Vehicles (STANDARD):
- 6 Variable Fighters (on active status) [VF-1, VF-4, VF-11, VF-17, VF-19, VF-22]
- Shuttles and other craft can connect to ship via the airlocks.
© Aaron Sketchley