Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
A large factory ship that combines various industrial complexes around a large reactor, a factory group, and an apartment-housing complex block and so on for the factory staff. As it was planned to be persistently utilized, from the start it's reactor, manufacturing block, tank, propulsion system and so on have been bared; and with frequent restructuring and additions, it's external appearance has become more and more disordered. It is the ship that produces the various products that the emigrant fleet needs, it refines the resources collected from cosmic dust, planetoids and so on, as well as star systems in the vicinity of the route through space; and it has the ability to produces from small things like miscellaneous daily goods, to big things like variable fighters and space battleships.
The hull has a large unique reaction furnace in the central top part, and an extra-large tank in the lower part, as the core with facilities around them. It also has the characteristic appearance of a fortress.
An escort frigate adjoins and stands by, on the prow of the factory ship. The harbour on the right side when facing the ship is a large entrance for bringing in materials, and on the left side is a large exit for taking out finished products.
For the disposal of the strengthened reactor's expelled heat when operating, towed from the rear of the ship, despite being only several millimetres thick, is a 15 Km long heat radiation film.
Facilities: Special reactor, supplementary reactor for other factory power, hold for resource reserves as well as product storage, super large-size tank, etc..
Unified Government (Earth)
Super Long Range Factory Ship
OTEC Company/Three Star Heavy Industries/UN Spacy
Crew: about 150,000
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body 100,000
Rear Boom/Drydock Section 60,000
(2) Command Tower/Communications Center (middle) 5,000
Connection Joint/Engineering Section 4,000
Forward Refining Scoops (2) 6,000 each
(3) Main Engines/Power Plant (2) 30,000 each
(3) Auxiliary Engines (4) 7,500 each
Small Airlocks/Access Hatches (150) 250 each
Main Airlocks (4) 800
Outer Hull (per 40ft area) 120
Interior walls (per 20ft) 20
(4) Pin Point Barriers (4) 5,000 each
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will essentially destroy the facility. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The Factory Ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck, and any surviving emigrants must be rescued quickly or will die from asphyxiation as the remaining atmosphere drains into space. In addition, there is a 60% chance that the entire Factory Ship will explode due to the volatile chemicals and materials within, doing 1D6x1000 MD to everything in a 4.8 km radius from the ship.
- Depleting the MDC of the command tower will kill the bridge crew of the vessel and deprive it of long range/hyperspace communications, radar and subspace sensors. The vessel can be commanded either from an auxiliary bridge near the center of the ship or from the Bolognese stealth frigate attached to the platform.
- Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its auxiliary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND auxiliary engines will leave the Factory Ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the emigrant ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the antigravity system useless due to loss of power).
- The Pinpoint Barriers regenerate at a rate of 1,250 MD per second (2,500 MD per melee round). If destroyed, a barrier will completely regenerate within four seconds (2 melee rounds). See the Pinpoint Barrier System entry for details.
0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second)
Maximum Instantaneous Acceleration: 0.45 G
Range Unlimited (1 light year every 6 minutes)
Designed to land in a planetary ocean when necessary but not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere. Factory vessels are NOT designed to land on the ground. If they do so the landing will inflict 3D6x1000 MD damage to the main body of the spacecraft (the Bolognese docked to the ship will also suffer 3D6x1000 MD damage unless it detatches prior to landing).
Unlimited (estimated 30 year life span)
Length: about 5,500 m (not including the heat radiation film)
Operating Mass: about 5.95 billion t
Engine: OTEC / Sentinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Fold Engine: OTEC / Shinakasu / General Galaxy Super Large Mass use Fold System Cluster (Auxiliary [attached to the] Gravitational Field Control System)
Sublight Drive: ORTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: Internal
Auxiliary Engines: Shinnakasu/Shinsei Industries/Agar Nuclear Pulse Rocket Motor Clusters
Sensors: Standard plus Subspace Mass Detector
1. PINPOINT BARRIER DEFENSE SYSTEM:
Originally developed by researchers onboard the SDF-01 Macross during Space War One, the Pinpoint Barrier System is a standard defense system on board all UN Spacy starships and emigrant vessels, including the Factory Ships. The system generates four small disc-shaped force fields that can be positioned anywhere along the ship to deflect missiles, energy beams or projectiles. Each pinpoint barrier is about 61 m in length and can absorb up to 5,000 MD in damage, which then regenerates within four seconds (2 melee rounds). The barriers can also be layered on top of each other to generate a field which provides 20,000 MDC and can even deflect heavy particle beams (usually).
The four barriers are controlled by operators in the command tower of the carrier. These operators are instructed to defend (1) any breaks or weaknesses in the main hull, (2) the main and auxiliary engines, (3) the engineering section/stealth frigate docking section and (4) any starships under construction, in that order. The operators primarily concentrate on defending the ship against larger spacecraft and leave defense against attacking mecha to the VF pilots from the stealth frigate.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense (the pinpoint barrier system cannot be used as a weapon).
- RANGE: Up to 91.5 m from the surface of the vessel.
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: Can sustain up to 5,000 MD per round. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- RADIUS: 61 m
- DEFENSIVE MOVEMENT: Can move from one end of the vessel to the other in less than a single round. Trained operators can attempt to block attacks up to 8 times per melee (counts as a parry) and are at +7 to block. Untrained characters can parry up to their number of hand-to-hand attacks with their normal parry bonuses only.
- PAYLOAD: Nearly inexhaustible. Will work as long as system is functional (see below) and engines are intact. If main engines are destroyed, the barrier will loose power and not function.
- NOTE: If all four barriers are grouped in a single spot they can deflect a heavy particle beam attack, such as the one generated by the Macross Cannon, Zentraadi/Varohta command warships, and some Protodeviln. However, the beam will completely destroy all four barriers and put incredible strain on the pinpoint barrier system, to the point where it may short out. After deflecting an energy beam, roll percentile dice on the table below to determine additional effects/damage.
- 01-15: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 16-30: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 31-45: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair (yes, DAYS of work).
- 46-60: Completely destroyed! System can be rebuilt, but will require new parts and 2D6 DAYS of work to replace.
- 61-75: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair.
- 76-90: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 91-95: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 96-00: It's a miracle! Trivial damage only, system will be operational again in only 4D6 melee rounds!
As stated above, the main purpose of the Factory Ship manufacturing platforms is to produce all parts, supplies, and materials the emigrant fleet needs to operate. In general it can be assumed that Factory Ships are constantly busy around the clock producing a wide range of standard products. However, there are times when the GM will need to know approximately how long it takes a Factory Ship to manufacture critical pieces of equipment (usually military in nature, such as mecha and starships).
The numbers below are intended to give the GM a rough estimate of how fast construction takes place aboard the Factory Ship. For each entry two values are listed. The first is the amount of time it takes the automated factories aboard the vessel to produce the item from scratch, and the second lists how many can be produced in a given period of time. The factory aboard the Factory Ship operates in an assembly line fashion so that multiple items can be constructed at the same time. This data assumes that the Factory Ship has an ample supply of asteroids and space debris available to it for raw materials. These figures should be used for approximation only; GMs, feel free to change these values as you see fit.
|Standard UN Spacy Combat Gear (Flight Suit plus Sidearm)
||2,500 per week
|Standard Variable Fighter (E.g. VF-11 Thunderbolt)
||36 per week
|Custom Variable Fighter (E.g. VF-17T Kai Custom)
||5 per week
|Advanced Variable Fighter (E.g. VF-22 Sturmvogel)
||2 per week
|Small Starship (E.g. Bolognese Stealth Frigate)
||10 per year
|Large Starship (E.g. Uraga Escort Carrier)
||2 per year
|Transformable Starship (E.g. New Macross Battle class)
||1 per year
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The Factory vessels are equipped with an anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs. The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at speeds of up to 400 m per minute. The system will function so long as the main engines can supply energy to it.
- HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTION SYSTEM: The civilian habitat levels within the construction platform are equipped with a sophisticated holographic projection system which is used to generate images of terran skies. These images help to calm the emigrants and make them feel like they are living in a city on Earth and not on a ship voyaging through space. The holographic system is often used to divide time on the vessel into day and night segments. Note that the hull of the Factory vessels is NOT transparent, so during night periods the holographic system projects a fake starry sky rather than a real view of the passing galaxy.
- HYPERSPACE COMMUNICATIONS: Based on the same technology as the space fold system, the hyperspace communications relay allows faster-than-light communication between the Factory Ships and other vessels or planetary bases. Hyperspace communications are still not instantaneous, however. Audio/video communication travels through hyperspace at a rate of about 1 second per 4,000 light years, so messages communicated over vast distances can still take seconds or minutes to arrive.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The Factory vessel has sufficient life support to provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for 25,000 people for up to 30 years. In an emergency the life support system can support up to 35,000 people for a short time.
- LONG-RANGE LASER/SATELLITE RELAY COMMUNICATIONS: The Factory Ship has modest communications facilities that can communicate with up to 250 craft simultaneously at ranges of up to 1,440 km. This range can be boosted indefinitely by using satellites or other spacecraft as to relay communications.
- LONG-RANGE RADAR: The radar array of the Factory Ship is also modest compared to that of the most military vessels. The system can track and identify up to 500 craft simultaneously and has a 320 km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the vessel is equipped with an OTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold System Cluster, capable of propelling the carrier through hyperspace at speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes. The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life expectancy of the spacecraft. The fold drive is powerful enough to propel both the Stealth Frigate and manufacturing platform through hyperspace when they are connected.
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the vessel is equipped with OTEC/Sentinel Impulse Drive Cluster engines that can propel the craft at speeds up to 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines are mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the carrier is limited to speeds of Mach 1 maximum due to hull stress. As with the fold drives, the engines are powerful enough to propel the craft when the Stealth Frigate is attached.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: Like the most emigrant vessels, Factory Ships are equipped with subspace sensors for early warning of approaching objects and navigation at sublight speeds. These sensors can almost instantly detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles) distant from the carrier which are above 60,000 kg in mass (which means that the sensors usually cannot detect objects as small as Variable Fighters). Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and are usually used for tracking purposes only.
Ship-borne Vehicles (STANDARD):
- The landing bays in Factory Vessels have enough room and resources to adequately support up to 4 squadrons (48 fighters) of VFs if necessary.
- Numerous Liason and Shuttle craft
© Aaron Sketchley