Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
The Farm Ship Class Agricultural Platform is probably the second most essential part of the entire New Macross Class Emigrant Fleet. Where the Ocean and Resort vessels provide water, fish and recreational facilities, the Farm vessels provides the food for the fleet's 1 million inhabitants. Without this essential platform, the entire fleet would starve to death within a few short weeks. The interior of the Farm Ship resembles a giant greenhouse, with various fruits and vegetables growing under the light filtering through the semi-transparent Dome. Animals are also kept within the confines of the ship for manure and fresh meat purposes.
To protect this essential part of the fleet, the Farm vessel has two forms of defence. Its first being the Guantanamo Stealth Carrier that controls all of the functions of the platform while attached. In the event of the carrier disconnecting itself from the Farm Ship, control is passed over to the emergency bridge of the Farm Ship. The second line of defence are the 14 Shield sections that give the Agricultural Platform its name. In shell-down mode, the 14 shield sections are down and cause the platform to resemble a Sunnyflower which the ship is named after. In the event of an attack, these sections immediately and swiftly come up to cover the semi-transparent dome of the vessel to shelter the dome and protect it from a breach.
In the event that an emigrant fleet encounters a habitable world, the Farm Ship would work with both the Ocean and Resort and
Research and Experiment vessels to determine if the prospective emigrant world is capable of supporting life.
Unified Government (Earth)
Super Long Range Emigrant Agricultural Platform
OTEC Company/UN Spacy
Crew (not including Guantanamo Carrier):
Ships Crew: 1,000
Police/Civil Defense: 200
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body 125,000
Agricultural Dome 25,000
(2) Agricultural Dome (per 40ft area) 200
Projectile Shield (closed) 70,000
Projectile Shield fins (14) 5,000 each
Small Airlocks/Access Hatches (125) 250 each
Main Airlock 1,000
Small Hydroponics pods (18) 2,000 each
Outer Hull (per 40ft area) 120
Interior walls (per 20ft) 40
Lower Sensor Spoke 1,500
Connection Joint/Engineering Section 7,000
(3) Main Engines/Power Plant (2) 30,000 each
(3) Auxiliary Engines (4) 5,000 each
(4) Pin Point Barriers (4) 5,000 each
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will essentially destroy the vessel. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The colony ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck, and any surviving colonists must be rescued quickly or will die from asphyxiation as the remaining atmosphere drains into space.
- In "Shell Up" mode, the semi-transparent Agricultural dome is completely covered by the projectile shield. Therefore in order to attack the dome in this mode the projectile shield must be penetrated or destroyed first. If the dome is destroyed while in space, 1D6x10% of the emigrants inside will be instantly killed due to explosive decompression.
- Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its auxiliary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND auxiliary engines will leave the emigrant ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the colony ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the antigravity system useless due to loss of power).
- The Pinpoint Barriers regenerate at a rate of 1,250 MD per second (2,500 MD per melee round). If destroyed, a barrier will completely regenerate within four seconds (2 melee rounds). See the Pinpoint Barrier System entry for details.
Speed(sublight): 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second)
Speed(Auxiliary Drives): Mach 3
Space Fold: Range Unlimited (1 light year every 6 minutes)
Planet bound: Designed to land in a planetary ocean when necessary but not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere. The Farm Ship is NOT designed to land on the ground. If it does so the landing will inflict 3D6x1000 MD damage to the main body of the spacecraft (the lower sensor spoke will be automatically destroyed).
Maximum Range: Unlimited (estimated 30 year life span)
Length (main body): 2,750 m
Height (main body): 2,750 m
Length (connector/engineering section): 130 m
Length (overall, including Guantanamo): 3,280 m
Power System: OTEC/General Galaxy Main Reactor
Fold System: OTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold System Cluster
Sublight Drive: OTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: Internal
Auxiliary Engine: Shinnakasu/Shinsei Industries/Agar Nuclear Pulse Rocket Motor Cluster
Sensors: Standard plus Subspace Mass Detector
1. PINPOINT BARRIER DEFENSE SYSTEM:
developed by researchers onboard the SDF-01 Macross during Space War One, the Pinpoint Barrier System is a standard defense system on board all UN Spacy starships and emigrant vessels, including the Farm Ships. The system generates four small disc-shaped force fields that can be positioned anywhere along the ship to deflect missiles, energy beams or projectiles. Each pinpoint barrier is about 61 m in length and can absorb up to 5,000 MD in damage, which then regenerates within four seconds (2 melee rounds). The barriers can also be layered on top of each other to generate a field which provides 20,000 MDC and can even deflect heavy particle beams (usually).
The four barriers are controlled by operators in the command tower of the carrier. These operators are instructed to defend (1) any breaks or weaknesses in the projectile sheild or Agricultural Dome, (2) the engineering section/battle carrier docking section, and (3) the main and auxiliary engines, in that order. The operators primarily concentrate on defending the ship against larger spacecraft and leave defense against attacking mecha to the VF pilots from the ship.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense (the pinpoint barrier system cannot be used as a weapon)
- RANGE: Up to 91.5 m from the surface of the vessel.
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: Can sustain up to 5,000 MD per round. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- RADIUS: 61 m
- DEFENSIVE MOVEMENT: Can move from one end of the vessel to the other in less than a single round. Trained operators can attempt to block attacks up to 8 times per melee (counts as a parry) and are at 7 to block. Untrained characters can parry up to their number of hand-to-hand attacks with their normal parry bonuses only.
- PAYLOAD: Nearly inexhaustible. Will work as long as system is functional (see below) and engines are intact. If main engines are destroyed, the barrier will loose power and not function.
- NOTE: If all four barriers are grouped in a single spot they can deflect a heavy particle beam attack, such as the one generated by the Macross Cannon, Zentraadi/Varohta command warships, and some Protodeviln. However, the beam will completely destroy all four barriers and put incredible strain on the pinpoint barrier system, to the point where it may short out. After deflecting an energy beam, roll percentile dice on the table below to determine additional effects/damage.
- 01-15: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 16-30: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 31-45: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair (yes, DAYS of work).
- 46-60: Completely destroyed! System can be rebuilt, but will require new parts and 2D6 DAYS of work to replace.
- 61-75: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair.
- 76-90: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 91-95: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 96-00: It's a miracle! Trivial damage only, system will be operational again in only 4D6 melee rounds!
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The Farm Ships are equipped with an anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs. The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at speeds of up to 400 m per minute. The system will function so long as the main engines can supply energy to it.
- HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTION SYSTEM: The interior of the vessel contains a sophisticated holographic projection system which are used to generate images of terran skies. These images help to calm colonists and make them feel like they are living in a city on Earth and not on a ship voyaging through space. The holographic system is often used to divide time on the vessel into day and night segments. During the day the holographic system displays a view of a normal outside view and projects artificial sunlight over the interior, and at night the system displays a view of the passing stars.
- HYPERSPACE COMMUNICATIONS: Based on the same technology as the space fold system, the hyperspace communications relay allows faster-than-light communication between the Farm Ships and other vessels or planetary bases. Hyperspace communications are still not instantaneous, however. Audio/video communication travels through hyperspace at a rate of about 1 second per 4,000 light years, so messages communicated over vast distances can still take seconds or minutes to arrive.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The Farm Ships have sufficient life support to provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for 15,000 people, for up to 30 years. In an emergency the life support system can support up to 35,000 people for a short time.
- LONG-RANGE LASER/SATELLITE RELAY COMMUNICATIONS: The Farm Ship has modest communications facilities that can communicate with up to 250 craft simultaneously at ranges of up to 1,440 km. This range can be boosted indefinitely by using satellites or other spacecraft as to relay communications.
- LONG-RANGE RADAR: The radar array of the Sunnyflower is also modest compared to that of the docked Guantanamo carrier. The system can track and identify up to 500 craft simultaneously and has a 320 km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the vessel is equipped with an OTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold System Cluster, capable of propelling the vessel through hyperspace at speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes. The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life expectancy of the spacecraft. The fold drive is powerful enough to propel both the Uraga Carrier and the Farm Ship blocks through hyperspace when they are connected.
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the colony vessel is equipped with OTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster engines that can propel the craft at speeds up to 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines are mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the vessel is limited to speeds of Mach 1 maximum due to hull stress. As with the fold drives, the engines are powerful enough to propel the craft when the battle carrier is attached.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: Like the Escort carriers, the Farm Ships are equipped with subspace sensors for early warning of approaching objects and navigation at sublight speeds. These sensors can almost instantly detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles) distant from the carrier which are above 60,000 kg in mass (which means that the sensors usually cannot detect objects as small as variable Fighters). Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and are usually used for tracking purposes only.
Ship-borne Vehicles (STANDARD):
- Variable Fighters: NONE! However, the landing bays in Ocean and Resort Ship have enough room and resources to adequately support up to 2 squadrons (24 fighters) of VFs if necessary.
- Numerous Liason and Shuttle craft
© Aaron Sketchley