Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Ocean and Resort Ship Riviera|
It is a large-scale ship that has the unique appearance of a spiral shell, and is filled to the brim with an artificial ocean that reaches 3,600 m in diameter in the center part. In the artificial ocean, in addition to the cultivation and breeding of fresh marine creatures to supplying the emigrant fleet, it is called a "resort ship" because part of the ocean facility is open as high-class leisure facilities. In one part of the more than 10 Km unbroken beach, the upmarket resort "Riviera" extends, and is lined with hotels, casinos, villas and so on, and is crowded with swimmers. Incidentally, the Armed Forces female operators who are assigned there due to their character that says "resort", can also be said to be beautiful.
The upper surface of the dome is covered in a transparent dome. The likes of a countless number of searchlights project, and the hue of the resort facilities is strong in the appearance of the ship.
9 fins project from the circumference of the hull. With the longest fin extending to about 600 m, they are the environmental regulation system of the artificial ocean and heat radiation.
The escort battle carrier CV404 Uraga is docked in the [war]ship's bow. The port next to the docking bay is a star port called "Hoshi no Minato" [Port of the Stars].
The protuberance on the underside of the ship's hull is a high-pressure tower that's for the research of deep sea creatures, stabilizes the ocean when accelerating, controls the current, and controls the water temperature, water pressure, and so on.
Facilities: Resort facilities, Marine Park, aquarium, ocean life research institute, etc..
Unified Government (Earth)
Super Long Range Emigrant Marine Resort/Research Vessel
OTEC Company/UN Spacy
Crew about 100,000
(not including Escort Carrier)
Notable Ships of Class:
Riviera 05: launched 2034 as part of the Macross 05 Emigrant Fleet. Captured and destroyed by the Varohta in 2045.
Riviera 07: launched 2036 as part of the Macross 07 Emigrant Fleet. Captured by Protodeviln in 2046 but rescued by UN Spacy forces during the final battle of the Varohta War)
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body 150,000
Projectile Shield (Closed) 100,000
Projectile Shield (Per 40 ft area) 500
(2) Ocean Dome 30,000
(2) Ocean Dome (Per 40 ft area) 200
Small Airlocks/Access Hatches (300) 250 each
Main Airlock 1,000
Outer Hull (per 40ft area) 120
Interior walls (per 20ft) 40
External Engineering/Sensor Spokes (9) 1,500 each
Lower Sensor Spoke 1,000
Connection Joint/Engineering Section 25,000
(3) Main Engines/Power Plant (2) 50,000 each
(3) Auxiliary Engines (4) 7,000 each
(4) Pin Point Barriers (4) 5,000 each
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will essentially destroy the vessel. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The emigrant ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck, and ny surviving emigrants (and marine life) must be rescued quickly or will die from asphyxiation as the remaining atmosphere drains into space.
- If the semi-transparent ocean dome is destroyed while in space, 1D6x10% of the emigrants inside will be instantly killed due to explosive decompression.
- Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its auxiliary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND auxiliary engines will leave the emigrant ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the emigrant ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the antigravity system useless due to loss of power).
- The Pinpoint Barriers regenerate at a rate of 1,250 MD per second (2,500 MD per melee round). If destroyed, a barrier will completely regenerate within four seconds (2 melee rounds). See the Pinpoint Barrier System entry for details.
Speed(sublight): 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second)
Speed(Auxiliary Drives): Mach 3
Maximum Instantaneous Acceleration: 0.45 G
Space Fold: Range Unlimited (1 light year every 6 minutes)
Planet bound: Designed to land in a planetary ocean when necessary but not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere. The Ocean and Resort Ship is NOT designed to land on the ground. If it does so the landing will inflict 3D6x1000 MD damage to the main body of the spacecraft (the lower protuberance will be automatically destroyed and water will start draining out of the ship).
Maximum Range: Unlimited (estimated 30 year life span)
Length: about 6,300 m (not including the escort carrier)
Operating Mass: about 10.7 billion t
Engine: OTEC / Sentinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Fold Engine: OTEC / Shinakasu / Sentinel / General Galaxy Super Large Mass use Fold System Cluster (Auxiliary Gravitational Field Control System)
Sublight Drive: ORTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: Internal
Auxiliary Engine: Shinnakasu/Shinsei Industries/Agar Nuclear Pulse Rocket Motor Cluster
Sensors: Standard plus Subspace Mass Detector
1. PINPOINT BARRIER DEFENSE SYSTEM:
Originally developed by researchers onboard the SDF-01 Macross during Space War One, the Pinpoint Barrier System is a standard defense system on board all UN Spacy starships and colony vessels, including the Ocean and Resort Ships. The system generates four small disc-shaped force fields that can be positioned anywhere along the ship to deflect missiles, energy beams or projectiles. Each pinpoint barrier is about 61 m in length and can absorb up to 5,000 MD in damage, which then regenerates within four seconds (2 melee rounds). The barriers can also be layered on top of each other to generate a field which provides 20,000 MDC and can even deflect heavy particle beams (usually).
The four barriers are controlled by operators in the command tower of the carrier. These operators are instructed to defend (1) any breaks or weaknesses in the projectile shield and/or ocean dome, (2) the engineering section/escort carrier docking section, and (3) the main and auxiliary engines, in that order. The operators primarily concentrate on defending the ship against larger spacecraft and leave defense against attacking mecha to the VF pilots from the escort carrier.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense (the pinpoint barrier system cannot be used as a weapon).
- RANGE: Up to 91.5 m from the surface of the vessel.
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: Can sustain up to 5,000 MD per round. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- RADIUS: 61 m
- DEFENSIVE MOVEMENT: Can move from one end of the vessel to the other in less than a single round. Trained operators can attempt to block attacks up to 8 times per melee (counts as a parry) and are at +7 to block. Untrained characters can parry up to their number of hand-to-hand attacks with their normal parry bonuses only.
- PAYLOAD: Nearly inexhaustible. Will work as long as system is functional (see below) and engines are intact. If main engines are destroyed, the barrier will loose power and not function.
NOTE: If all four barriers are grouped in a single spot they can deflect a heavy particle beam attack, such as the one generated by the Macross Cannon, Zentraadi/Varohta command warships, and some Protodeviln. However, the beam will completely destroy all four barriers and put incredible strain on the pinpoint barrier system, to the point where it may short out. After deflecting an energy beam, roll percentile dice on the table below to determine additional effects/damage.
- 01-15: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 16-30: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 31-45: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair (yes, DAYS of work).
- 46-60: Completely destroyed! System can be rebuilt, but will require new parts and 2D6 DAYS of work to replace.
- 61-75: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair.
- 76-90: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 91-95: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 96-00: It's a miracle! Trivial damage only, system will beoperational again in only 4D6 melee rounds!
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The Ocean and Resort vessels are equipped with an anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs. The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at speeds of up to 400 m per minute. The system will function so long as the main engines can supply energy to it.
- HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTION SYSTEM: The ocean dome and the interior of the projectile shield both contain sophisticated holographic projection system which are used to generate images of terran skies. These images help to calm colonists and make them feel like they are living in a city on Earth and not on a ship voyaging through space. The holographic system is often used to divide time on the vessel into day and night segments. During the day the holographic system blocks the outside view and projects artificial sunlight over the city, and at night the system is turned off to provide an uninhibited view of the passing stars.
- HYPERSPACE COMMUNICATIONS: Based on the same technology as the space fold system, the hyperspace communications relay allows faster-than-light communication between the Ocean and Resort ships and other vessels or planetary bases. Hyperspace communications are still not instantaneous, however. Audio/video communication travels through hyperspace at a rate of about 1 second per 4000 light years, so messages communicated over vast distances can still take seconds or minutes to arrive.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The resort colony have sufficient life support to provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for 400,000 people, plus the entire marine ecosystem contained within the artificial ocean, for up to 30 years. In an emergency the life support system can support up to 600,000 people for a short time. The ocean's ecosystem can provide food and other necessary supplies indefinitely for up to 1,000,000 people, making it a vital part of the emigrant fleet's support structure.
- LONG-RANGE LASER/SATELLITE RELAY COMMUNICATIONS: The Ocean and Resort Ship has modest communications facilities that can communicate with up to 250 craft simultaneously at ranges of up to 1,440 km. This range can be boosted indefinitely by using satellites or other spacecraft as to relay communications.
- LONG-RANGE RADAR: The radar array of the Riviera is also modest compared to that of the docked escort battle carrier. The system can track and identify up to 500 craft simultaneously and has a 320 km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the vessel is equipped with an OTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold System Cluster, capable of propelling the carrier through hyperspace at speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes. The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life expectancy of the spacecraft. The fold drive is powerful enough to propel both the escort carrier and Ocean and Resort block through hyperspace when they are connected.
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the emigrant vessel is equipped with OTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster engines that can propel the craft at speeds up to 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines are mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the carrier is limited to speeds of Mach 1 maximum due to hull stress. As with the fold drives, the engines are powerful enough to propel the craft when battle carrier is attached.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: Like the escort carriers, the Ocean and Resort vessels are equipped with subspace sensors for early warning of approaching objects and navigation at sublight speeds. These sensors can almost instantly detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles) distant from the carrier which are above 60,000 kg in mass (which means that the sensors usually cannot detect objects as small as Variable Fighters). Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and are usually used for tracking purposes only.
Ship-borne Vehicles (STANDARD):
- Variable Fighters: NONE! However, the landing bays in Ocean and Resort Ship have enough room and resources to adequately support up to 6 squadrons (72 fighters) of VFs if necessary.
- Numerous Liason and Shuttle craft
© Aaron Sketchley