Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Research and Experiment Ship Einstein|
This is a multipurpose scientific research vessel from the United Science Foundation. Although primarily focused on gravitational engineering, astrophysics and space biology, all scientific areas are studied as well as performing prototype development. The extensive scientific equipment provides excellent analysis capabilities; an indispensable resource for the emigration fleet traveling through unknown space.
The Research and Experiment Ship is an integral part of any New Macross class Super Long Range Emigration Fleet, as it is here aboard these giant vessels that the research and development needs of the Fleet are met. These hotbeds of invention, alteration and reverse engineering are where the
Albert Einstein's and Stephen Hawking's of the 22nd Century work. All manner of things that the Fleet might need are developed here, and in the event of the Fleet locating unknown mecha or Protoculture artifacts it is here that they would be brought for investigation.
In the event that an emigration fleet encounters a habitable world, the Research and Experiment Ship would work closely with the Ocean Resort Ship and the Farm Ship vessels of the fleet to determine if the prospective emigrant planet is capable of supporting life. Many area's of the Research and Experiment Ship have extremely dangerous chemicals and equipment, which is why these vessels are highly compartmentalized, and in the event of a hull breach or other damage the immediate sections of the ship surrounding the hazard can be completely sealed off to prevent the spread of damage or loss of environmental control. The crew of the Research and Experiment Ships are well trained in crowd control and can quickly evacuate guests to shelters or escape pods in the event of a serious emergency. Research and Experiment Ships are linked to an Uraga class Escort Battle Carrier in much the same way that the New Macross Battle class and City class sections combine to form one larger ship. The Research and Experiment Ships are controlled from the bridge of the attached Uraga carrier and the carrier's VF squadrons provide protection for the emigrant vessel in case of attack. The carrier can disconnect from the Research and Experiment Ships if so required, and the Research and Experiment Ships can control itself via an emergency bridge.
The Research and Experiment Ships , like the other ships of the New Macross class emigration Fleets were developed at the same time as the New Macross emigrant ship. Since 2030 at least one Research and Experiment Ship has been assigned to every New Macross class Fleet.
RPG STATSGovernment: Unified Government (Earth)
Super Long Range Emigrant Research and Experiment Ship
OTEC Company/UN Spacy
Crew (not including Uraga Carrier):
Military Crew: 1,800
Civilian Crew/Scientists: 25,500
Police/Civil Defense: 200
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body 60,000
Small Airlocks/Access Hatches (200) 250 each
Main Airlock 1,000
Outer Hull (per 40ft area) 120
Interior walls (per 20ft) 40
External Engineering/Sensor Spokes (8) 2,000 each
Lower Sensor Spoke 1,200
Exterior Central Line Pods (2) 6,750 each
Exterior Rear Pods (2) 10,000 each
Connection Joint/Engineering Section 8,500
(2) Main Engines/Power Plant (2) 12,500 each
(2) Auxiliary Engines (4) 6,000 each
(3) Pin Point Barriers (4) 5,000 each
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will essentially destroy the vessel. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The emigrant ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck, and any surviving colonists must be rescued quickly or will die from asphyxiation as the remaining atmosphere drains into space.
- Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its auxiliary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND auxiliary engines will leave the emigrant ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the emigrant ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the antigravity system useless due to loss of power).
- The Pinpoint Barriers regenerate at a rate of 1,250 MD per second (2,500 MD per melee round). If destroyed, a barrier will completely regenerate within four seconds (2 melee rounds). See the Pinpoint Barrier System entry for details.
Speed(sublight): 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second)
Speed(Auxiliary Drives): Mach 3
Space Fold: Range Unlimited (1 light year every 6 minutes)
Planet bound: Designed to land in a planetary ocean when necessary but not designed to maneuver in an atmosphere. The Einstein is NOT designed to land on the ground. If it does so the landing will inflict 3D6x1000 MD damage to the main body of the spacecraft (the lower sensor spoke will be automatically destroyed).
Maximum Range: Unlimited (estimated 30 year life span)
Length: approx. 3,000 m (without cooling fins or carrier)
Operating Displacement: approx. 225,000,000 t
Main Engine: OTEC-Sentinel impulse drive cluster
Fold System: OTEC-Shinnakasu-General Galaxy fold system cluster for very large masses
Gravity Control System: Internal
Auxiliary Engine: Experimental large-scale reactor
Main Machinery: Experimental plants of every type
Sensors: Standard plus Subspace Mass Detector
1. PINPOINT BARRIER DEFENSE SYSTEM:
Originally developed by researchers onboard the SDF-01 Macross during Space War One, the Pinpoint Barrier System is a standard defense system on board all UN Spacy starships and colony vessels, including the Einstein colony ships. The system generates four small disc-shaped force fields that can be positioned anywhere along the ship to deflect missiles, energy beams or projectiles. Each pinpoint barrier is about 61 m in length and can absorb up to 5,000 MD in damage, which then regenerates within four seconds (2 melee rounds). The barriers can also be layered on top of each other to generate a field which provides 20,000 MDC and can even deflect heavy particle beams (usually).
The four barriers are controlled by operators in the command tower of the carrier. These operators are instructed to defend (1) any breaks or weaknesses in the main hull, (2) the engineering section/battle carrier docking section, and (3) the main and auxiliary engines, in that order. The operators primarily concentrate on defending the ship against larger spacecraft and leave defense against attacking mecha to the VF pilots from the battle carrier.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense (the pinpoint barrier system cannot be used as a weapon)
- RANGE: Up to 300 feet (91.5 m) from the surface of the vessel.
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: Can sustain up to 5,000 MD per round. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- RADIUS: 61 m
- DEFENSIVE MOVEMENT: Can move from one end of the vessel to the other in less than a single round. Trained operators can attempt to block attacks up to 8 times per melee (counts as a parry) and are at +7 to block. Untrained characters can parry up to their number of hand-to-hand attacks with their normal parry bonuses only.
- PAYLOAD: Nearly inexhaustible. Will work as long as system is functional (see below) and engines are intact. If main engines are destroyed, the barrier will loose power and not function.
- NOTE: If all four barriers are grouped in a single spot they can deflect a heavy particle beam attack, such as the one generated by the Macross Cannon, Zentraedi/Varauta command warships, and some Protodeviln. However, the beam will completely destroy all four barriers and put incredible strain on the pinpoint barrier system, to the point where it may short out. After deflecting an energy beam, roll percentile dice on the table below to determine additional effects/damage.
- 01-15: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 16-30: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 31-45: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair (yes, DAYS of work).
- 46-60: Completely destroyed! System can be rebuilt, but will require new parts and 2D6 DAYS of work to replace.
- 61-75: Major damage, system will require 2D6x10 hours to repair.
- 76-90: Minor damage, system will require 4D6 hours to repair.
- 91-95: Lucked out, system will be operational in 1D6 hours.
- 96-00: It's a miracle! Trivial damage only, system will be operational again in only 4D6 melee rounds!
SYSTEMS OF NOTE:
- ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION SYSTEM: The Einstein colony vessels are equipped with an anti-gravity propulsion system used for planetary landings and liftoffs. The system is good for vertical ascent/descent only and can lift the ship at speeds of up to 400 m per minute. The system will function so long as the main engines can supply energy to it.
- HOLOGRAPHIC PROJECTION SYSTEM: The interior of the vessel contains a sophisticated holographic projection system which are used to generate images of terran skies. These images help to calm colonists and make them feel like they are living in a city on Earth and not on a ship voyaging through space. The holographic system is often used to divide time on the vessel into day and night segments. During the day the holographic system displays a view of a normal outside view and projects artificial sunlight over the interior, and at night the system displays a view of the passing stars.
- HYPERSPACE COMMUNICATIONS: Based on the same technology as the space fold system, the hyperspace communications relay allows faster-than-light communication between the Einstein ships and other vessels or planetary bases. Hyperspace communications are still not instantaneous, however. Audio/video communication travels through hyperspace at a rate of about 5 seconds per light year, so messages communicated over vast distances can still take days, weeks, or months to arrive.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS: The Einstein colony ships have sufficient life support to provide breathable air and comfortable temperatures for 50,000 people, for up to 30 years. In an emergency the life support system can support up to 300,000 people for a short time.
- LONG-RANGE LASER/SATELLITE RELAY COMMUNICATIONS: The Einstein has modest communications facilities that can communicate with up to 250 craft simultaneously at ranges of up to 1,440 km. This range can be boosted indefinitely by using satellites or other spacecraft as to relay communications.
- LONG-RANGE RADAR: The radar array of the Einstein is also modest compared to that of the docked escort battle carrier. The system can track and identify up to 500 craft simultaneously and has a 320 km range.
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM: For FTL propulsion, the vessel is equipped with an ORTEC/Shinnakasu/General Galaxy Advanced Fold System Cluster, capable of propelling the vessel through hyperspace at speeds up to 3.28x10^10 mps (5.25x10^10 kmps), or 1 light year per 6 minutes. The range of the fold drive is theoretically unlimited except by the life expectancy of the spacecraft. The fold drive is powerful enough to propel both the battle carrier and Einstein block through hyperspace when they are connected.
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES: As a backup to the Fold System, the colony vessel is equipped with ORTEC/Centinel Impulse Drive Cluster engines that can propel the craft at speeds up to 0.16 speed of light (25,600 miles per second) in space. Note that these engines are mainly intended for rapid movement inside a planetary system and are not suited for long voyages between star systems. In a planetary atmosphere the vessel is limited to speeds of Mach 1 maximum due to hull stress. As with the fold drives, the engines are powerful enough to propel the craft when the battle carrier is attached.
- SUBSPACE MASS SENSORS: Like the battle carriers, the Einstein colony vessels are equipped with subspace sensors for early warning of approaching objects and navigation at sublight speeds. These sensors can almost instantly detect mass readings and movement of objects up to 1 AU (93 million miles) distant from the carrier which are above 60,000 kg in mass (which means that the sensors usually cannot detect objects as small as Variable Fighters). Readings taken with the subspace sensors are not very detailed (-25% penalty when trying to identify a detected object) and are usually used for tracking purposes only.
Ship-borne Vehicles (STANDARD):
- can support up to 36 Variable Fighters
- Numerous Liason and Shuttle craft
© Aaron Sketchley