Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
The VF-5000B Star Mirage was the first venture of the new aerospace conglomerate Shinsei Industry. Designed as a low cost general-purpose lightweight support and air superiority fighter that would be affordable to a wide range of customers, the VF-5000B was turned out in great numbers to the Unified Forces and Emigrant planets. Making its first flight in 2018 and entering mass production in 2020, the VF-5000B assumed the Unified Forces's main fighter designation from the VF-4 (due to its lower costs) beginning in the later half of the 2020's, until the VF-11 Thunderbolt's introduction, with mass production ending in 2029. After production ended, the VF-5000B took over as the main aggressor and training fighter of the Unified Forces
The VF-5000G, along with the 2-seater VF-5000T-G (used primarily for training purposes), are variants of the VF-5000B Star Mirage. As the Unified Forces began converting to the VF-11, Shinsei began working on an inexpensive upgrade for Emigrant planets that were interested in buying an atmospheric fighter. Enhancing the engines of the VF-5000B and providing a 2-seater version known as the VF-5000T-G, which could be used to have a passenger accompany the pilot of simply to have an instructor oversee a trainee pilot, seemed to work, as many Emigrant planets saw the fighter as an attractive alternative to the rapidly aging VF-1 and VF-4 Valkyries that many of them had.
Some of the VF-5000's of planet Zola had the Laurence Speak System added to them. The system was created by the Zolan Galactic Patrol Corps' Laurence. Laurence had a theory that the Galactic whales that migrated on regular intervals to the planet Zola could communicate using sound energy. He developed the speaker system based on Dr. Chiba's Sound Energy System (SES) used by Sound Force. It took Basara's singing to prove his theory right. Unlike Sound Force's SES system, the Laurence Speaker System is permanently attached to the Valkyrie.
NOTE: This is a standard speaker system, not a Sound Energy System (SES) and does not have the effect of the SES System of Sound Force.
Variable Atmospheric Interdiction Fighter
one pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System, (VF-5000T-G can carry pilot plus one passenger)
MDC BY LOCATION:
Head Laser 30
(1) Head 75
Arms (2) 100 each
(2) Main Body 300
Legs/Thrusters (2) 200 each
Main Wings (2) 125 each
Tails (2) 50 each
GU-13 Gunpod 100
Reinforced Pilot Compartment 175
- Destroying the head of the fighter will knock out the mecha's major sensor systems, including all of the optics systems (infrared, nightvision, thermal). Radar and communications will be unaffected.
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the Valkyrie. The pilot and cockpit section/escape pod will be automatically ejected from the doomed Valkyrie before it explodes by the Valkyrie's main computer.
LEAPING, BATTLOID CONFIGURATION:
17 m high or 24.5 m long without thrusters.
mach 1 (1,072 kmph) in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely.
FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION:
mach 3.35 at 10,000 m. Mach 8 at 30,000 m. Max altitude of 42,000 m without rocket booster assistance.
14.03 m in Fighter
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: equal to a P.S. of 50
CARGO: small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
POWER PLANT: two Shinsei Industries/Pratt & Whitney/Rolls Royce FF-2016RB thermonuclear turbine engines, each rated at 25,000 kg, plus 10,000 x 1 from rocket booster. Several additional Pratt & Whitney HMM-3B high-maneuverability vernier thrusters for additional mobility are mounted at key positions along the mecha's hull.
VF-5000 FAST Packs
Due to the design of the VF-5000 Variable Fighter, only a single FAST Packs can be mounted, however the FAST Pack has been designed to be longer than a regular FAST Pack so as to provide the same quality of use as two regular FAST Packs. These FAST Packs feature a larger engine and longer front section to carry more ammunition. The streamlined Unified Forces VF-5000B FAST Pack can be fitted to the VF-5000G & T-G variants. However the VF-5000B FAST Pack is usually restricted to Unified Space Force units only.
- MDC VALUE: 130
- WEAPONRY: HMMM-Mk 5 MICRO-MISSILE LAUNCHERS
- MISSILE TYPES: any type of Short Range Missile can be used
- RANGE: varies with missile type, typically 4 km
- DAMAGE: varies with missile type, typically 2D6X10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: volleys of 1 or 2 missiles.
- PAYLOAD: 24 missiles
1. ANTI-AIRCRAFT PULSE LASER:
The VF-5000G mounts a single pulse laser for use in air combat skirmishes and for defensive purposes, (the VF-5000T-G mounts two head lasers). The laser is mounted on the head of the Variable Fighter in Battloid, and is located in the central dorsal section of the main body pointed rearward in Fighter and GERWALmodes. The laser can only fire to the REAR of the fighter in these modes; it cannot be turned to fire along another arc.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: 2D6 M.D. per laser
- RATE OF FIRE: the laser can be fired in rapid pulses up to 4 blasts per round. A rapid fire blast counts as a burst of up to 4 shots.
- PAYLOAD: unlimited
2. GU-13 MULTIPURPOSE GUN POD:
The GU-13 hand-held gunpod unit is a smaller version of the GU-11. The GU-13 fires armor piercing 55mm shells and is the direct predecessor of the the GU-15.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: 4D6 M.D. for a short burst, 1D6x10 M.D. for a long burst, or 2D6X10 M.D. for a full melee burst.
- RATE OF FIRE: equal to the number of combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 400 rounds per clip equals 40 short bursts, 20 long bursts, or 10 full melee bursts. Additional ammo clips can be inserted, but exchanging clips requires 2 melee actions.
3. MICRO-MISSILE LAUNCHERS (4):
Four seperate micro-missile launchers are carried internally by the VF-5000G, one in each limb. While the internal magazine is small, they nevertheless provide additional heavy firepower. The loss of a limb will result in the loss of the respective missile launcher.
- RANGE: 1.6 km
- DAMAGE: 1D4X10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: volleys of 1 to 4 missiles per launcher. One volley counts as one attack.
- PAYLOAD: 6 missiles per launcher, 24 missiles total
4. WING HARD POINTS (6):
Three fixed hard points are mounted on each wing of the VF-5000G for a total of 6 hardpoints on the fighter. These hardpoints can be used to hold a variety of different ordinance types, including long, medium, or short ranged missiles, or even the new intermediate-ranged high-maneuverability (IRHM) missiles (after 2040). One long ranged, one IRHM, 3 medium ranged, or 5 short ranged missiles can be mounted per hardpoint.
- LONG RANGE MISSILES
- Missile Types: any type of Long Range Missile can be used
- Range: varies with missile type
- Damage: varies with missile type
- Rate of Fire: one to six (all) missiles
- Payload: one per hardpoint; 6 maximum
- MEDIUM RANGE MISSILES
- Missile Types: any type of Medium Range Missile can be used
- Range: varies with missile type
- Damage: varies with missile type
- Rate of Fire: 1-3 missiles per hardpoint
- Payload: rhree per hardpoint; up to 18 maximum
5. HAND TO HAND COMBAT:
If necessary, the pilot of the VF-5000G can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. The Variable Fighter is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc..
- Restrained Punch: 1D4 M.D.
- Full Strength Punch: 2D6 M.D.
- "Booster" Punch: 3D6 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
- Tear or Pry with Hands: 1D6 M.D.
- Kick: 1D6 M.D.
- Leap Kick: 2D6 M.D.
- Body Flip/Throw: 1D4 M.D.
- Body Block/Tackle: 1D6 M.D.
- Stomp: 1D6 M.D. (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE VF-5000G:
- AUTO-PILOT: the VF-5000G is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot. Although not as complex as those equipped on some other VFs, it can be reasonably trusted to get the fighter from point A to point B safely. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near the Valkyrie.
- COMBAT COMPUTER W/HUD DISPLAYS: the VF-5000 is equipped with a combat computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. The entire cockpit canopy of the VF-5000 is a large HUD display, which allows the computer to display large amounts of data to the pilot and even highlight enemies and missile attacks with overlaid graphics. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 250 targets simultaneously.
- ESCAPE POD: the entire reinforced cockpit of the VF-5000 is a detachable escape pod that can be jettisoned when the Valkyrie is destroyed. The ejected cockpit does not contain thrusters, but does contain a powerful locator beacon and an integrated life support system that can support the pilot for up to 24 hours after ejection. The pod is also equipped with parachutes in case of ejection in an atmosphere. The combat computer is programmed to automatically eject the escape pod if the Valkyrie is destroyed (main body MDC reduced to 0), but this can be overridden if the pilot is feeling suicidal for some reason.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: range: 91.5 m. A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: special shielding prevents the penetration f life threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: the escape pod of the VF-5000G is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range of the signal is 640 km. Most Unified Space Forces ships and Variable Fighters can locate and track homing signals, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: range: 160 km. Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the Valkyrie's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: a loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- LAURENCE SPEAKER SYSTEM (only on Zolan VF-5000's): two special loudspeakers are mounted on the shoulders of the Valkyrie, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice or sound up to 300 decibels. The loudspeakers are normally used to project music during combat.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: range: 610 m. This optical system projects a beam of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: range: 610 m. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: range: 610 m. A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 200 mile (321 km) range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 960 km or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- SELF-DESTRUCT: to prevent capture of a variable fighter by the enemy, the pilot can activate the VF-5000's self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage is contained within a 6 m area and inflicts 1D6X10 M.D. to everything within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the ejection sequence.
- STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: all Unified Forces Variable Fighters come equipped with a portable survival kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife, dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.).
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: the VF-5000's cockpit is pressurized, and also provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized breathing. The Unified Forces flight suit also contains an upper and lower G-suit that promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of pilot's blacking out in combat.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR VF-5000G COMBAT TRAINING:
BASIC VARIABLE FIGHTER COMBAT TRAINING
ADVANCED VF-5000 COMBAT TRAINING
- 1 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels three, nine and fifteen.
- +1 on initiative.
- +1 to strike.
- +1 to parry
- +1 to dodge in battloid mode, +3 in gerwalk, +5 in fighter mode.
- +1 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- No leap dodge.
- No leap kick.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Body block/tackle/ram - 1D6 M.D. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round.
- Advanced training for pilots specializing in the VF-5000.
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels three, six, eleven and fifteen.
- +2 on initiative.
- +2 to strike
- +2 to parry
- +2 to dodge in battloid mode, +4 in gerwalk, +6 in jet mode. Super Parts add +1 to dodge in all modes when used in an atmosphere (+3 to dodge in battloid mode, +5 in gerwalk, +7 in jet mode).
- +2 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- +2 to leap dodge. A leap dodge is an automatic dodge which causes no loss of attacks per melee. The new generation variable fighters are so maneuverable that the pilot can dodge an attack while moving to counterattack an enemy.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Body block/tackle/ram - 1D6 M.D. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that
© Aaron Sketchley