Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Battle Suit (Renegade Power Armour)|
The Unified Government would like people to believe that Earth and all of its Emigrant Planets that are spread across the galaxy are one big happy family. Unfortunately this is far from the truth. Many Emigrant Planets resent the fact that the Unified Government retains tight control over all human territories, and uses the power of the Unified Space Forces to enforce its tariffs and rules. While outright rebellion against the Unified Government and its forces are rare, there are many pirates and terrorist groups in space who aren't above attacking a lone outpost or patrol ship if they feel they can get away with it. In such conflicts the Unified Forces's Variable Fighters usually prove to be more powerful and versatile than any weapons or vehicles the privateers can muster, thus the Unified Forces almost always won these battles. However, it was only a matter of time before ambitious arms dealers started selling weapons for countering variable fighters to criminals and rebels.
Initially the sale of actual mecha on the black market was extremely rare. Few people outside of the Unified Forces possessed the technical knowledge to repair and maintain mecha, let alone build one. What few mecha that did show up were usually Rigaado Battle Pods salvaged from a wrecked Zentraadi cruiser, or older VF-1 and VF-4 Lightning IIIs stolen from militias and reserve forces. The Battle Suit was one of the first original black market mecha designs ever encountered. Unified Forces Intelligence still doesn't know where the power armor was first developed or where it is currently being manufactured, only that over the past few years the mecha has been appearing in greater numbers along the distant human Emigrant Planets, causing many Unified Government officials to worry about military buildups and possible rebellions.
The Battle Suit appears to be based on the Zentraedi Nousjadeul-Ger. However, the design has been overhauled and augmented with human technology that was originally thought to rest only in the hands of the Unified Forces. The armor is still intended to be piloted by a full-sized Zentraadi pilot, which seems counter-productive since there are very few non-micronized Zentraadi left outside of a handful of frontier worlds. Most of the weaponry of the armour seems to have been salvaged from Zentraadi Mobile Weapons, while the majority of the electronics and computer systems are human in origin. In combat the speed and maneuverability of the power armor is approximately equal to a VF-11 Thunderbolt, but the Battle Suit far outclasses the VF-11 in terms of raw firepower. This inadequacy prompted the Unified Space Forces to start searching for a new Variable Fighter design to replace the VF-11 as the military's main fighter, eventually leading to the Project Super Nova design contest on the planet Eden.
Despite several years of searching the Unified Space Forces has yet to determine who is building and selling the Battle Suit. Most of what is currently known about the armor has been learned from examinations of wreckage recovered after battles involving the armour and Unified Space Forces. No pilots of the Battle Suit have ever been captured alive, as the Zentraadi usually commit suicide by detonating explosive charges inside the armour if they are disabled or captured. A Unified Space Forces fleet is currently on assignment in the frontier systems attempting to learn the origin of the Battle Suits, and make sure that the operation is shut down before the design becomes mass-produced.
Zentraedi Nousjadeul-Ger (Modified)
Tactical Powered Armor
Various non-United Earth Government Emigrant Planets
Crew: One full-sized Zentraedi pilot
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Head/Helmet 80
(2) Main Body 200
Arms (2) 50 each
Hands (2) 10 each
Legs (2) 70 each
Forearm P-Beams (2) 30 each
Auto Cannon 20
Laser Cannon 20
Pulse Laser 25
Communications Antenna 1
Missile Launchers (3) 50 each
(3) Rear Engine Section 100
(4) Main Thrusters (3, rear) 40 each
(4) Maneuvering Thrusters (4, legs) 20 each
- Destroying the head/helmet of the power armor will instantly kill the pilot. -5 to hit due to size and shielding.
- Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha and kill the pilot.
- Destroying the rear engine section of the armor will knock out all thrusters and weapons. In space, the armor will become adrift while in an atmosphere it will crash.
- Each main thruster destroyed reduces the speed of the armor by 30%. If all three main thrusters are destroyed while the armor is in a planetary atmosphere it will crash. The maneuvering thrusters are not powerful enough to keep the armor aloft in gravity. Each manuvering thruster destroyed will reduce speed by 2.5% and impose a -1 penalty to dodge while flying.
60 mph (96 kmph)
15.2 m high or 30.5 m long without thrusters. 71 m high or 143 m long with thruster assistance. Thrusters can also be used to stop a fall from any height.
Mach One (1,072 kmph) with a 9,144 m ceiling in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely.
5.2 m at shoulders
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Equal to a P.S. of 60
POWER PLANT: Modified 2.4 GGV class Flemenmik thermonuclear converter.
1. FOREARM PARTICLE BEAMS (2):
The main weapon used by the Zentraedi Renegade Power Armor are a pair of high-intensity particle beam cannons, with one mounted on each arm of the armor. The firing mechanism is basically identical to the ones used by the Regult tactical battle pod, though the power mechanisms have been augmented with human technology to make them more compact.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: 4D10 M.D. per blast
- RATE OF FIRE: Individual blasts, or volleys of two fired from both cannons simultaneously (remember: one volley counts as one attack). Total number of blasts is equal to the pilot's number of attacks.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
2. HIGH-SPEED TRIPLE BARREL PULSE LASER:
This weapon is mounted on the right side of the armor's chest. It has a limited range of motion and can be rotated 15 degrees in any direction from the front of the mecha. The mechanism of the lasers are based on UN Spacy technology.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Defense
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile
- RANGE: 600 m
- DAMAGE: 6D6 M.D. per burst of 9 laser shots.
- RATE OF FIRE: Each laser fires a burst of 3 shots and all three lasers fire at the same time, so each attack consists of 9 separate laser shots fired in a volley (counts as one attack). The lasers combined rate of fire is equal to the pilot's total number of attacks.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
The left side of the armor's chest contains a single autocannon, which can also be rotated 15 degrees from the front of the mecha. The autocannon is similar to the one used by the Regult battle pods.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-personnel
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defense
- RANGE: 2000 feet (600 m)
- DAMAGE: 1D6 M.D. short burst, 2D6 M.D. long burst, or 4D6 M.D. for a full melee burst.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to pilot's number of attacks. One burst counts as one attack.
- PAYLOAD: 480 rounds, which equals 20 short bursts (24 bullets each), 10 long bursts (48 bullets each), or 5 full-melee bursts (96 bullets each).
4. LASER CANNON:
A single laser cannon is mounted above the autocannon on the left side of the armor's chest. It is linked to the autocannon and can only move and point in the same direction as the cannon. The laser is based on UN Spacy technology.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-aircraft
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Cutting Tool
- RANGE: 2000 feet (600 m)
- DAMAGE: 1D6 M.D. per shot. If fired in a continuous beam for a full melee round, does 2D6x10 M.D. The laser can not be fired in a continuous beam at a moving target.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to pilot's number of attacks, or can be fired in a single full-melee blast.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
5. MISSILE LAUNCHERS (3):
The armor is equipped with three missile
launchers, one on each side of the waist and one directly in front of the chest. The front launcher contains 15 missiles that can be fired individually or all at once in a single volley, while the side launchers each contain 16 missiles that can be fired in volleys of up to 4 at a time. The launchers are compatible with both UN Spacy and Zentraedi short-range missiles.
- Primary Purpose: Assault
- Secondary Purpose: Anti-Mecha
- Missile Types: Any type of standard UN Spacy or Zentraedi Short Range Missile can be used, EXCEPT for the new high-maneuverability short range (SRHM) missles.
- Range: Varies with missile type, typically 1.6-1.8 km.
- Damage: Varies with missile type, typically 1D6x10 M.D.
- Rate of Fire: The side launchers can fire missiles individually or in volleys of up to 4 missiles each. The front launcher can fire individually or in a volley of up to 15 missiles. All three launchers can be fired in a combined single volley of up to 23 missiles.
- Payload: 15 missiles in the front launcher, 16 missiles in each side launcher. Total payload: 47 missiles.
6. HAND TO HAND COMBAT:
If necessary, the zentraedi pilot of the renegade power armor can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. The armor is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc. Note that zentraedi tend to prefer hand-to-hand combat...
- Restrained Punch: 1D6 M.D.
- Full Strength Punch: 3D6 M.D.
- "Booster" Punch: 5D6 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
- Tear or Pry with Hands: 2D6 M.D.
- Kick: 2D6 M.D.
- Leap Kick: 3D6 M.D.
- Body Flip/Throw: 2D4 M.D.
- Body Block/Tackle: 3D4 M.D.
- Stomp: 1D6 M.D. (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE RENEGADE POWER ARMOR:
- COMBAT COMPUTER: The renegade power armor is equipped with a moderately powerful combat computer, much more complex than anything found in traditional Zentraedi combat mecha. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 800 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 75 targets simultaneously.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 91.5 m. A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to 91.5 m away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels of radiation are.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 160 km. Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 610 m. This optical system projects a beam of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 610 m. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- RADAR: 240 km range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 480 km or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture by the UN Spacy, the Renegade armor is equipped with a series of explosive charges intended to destroy the mecha in case of capture or loss of power. The explosive is chemical-based and can be detonated with a touch of a button, even if the engines and power systems of the armor have been destroyed. The explosion will instantly kill the pilot, destroy the mecha, and inflict 2D6x10 M.D. to everything within a 15 m radius around the armor.
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The power armor is pressurized and provides enough air and water to support a full-sized Zentraedi for up to 1 week. The armor can automatically seal small holes and punctures to prevent the air from escaping, and if an arm or leg is severly damaged it can be ealed off and jettisoned from the mecha (note that this does cut off the Zentraedi pilot's arm or leg, doing an additional 1D4 M.D. to the pilot).
COMBAT BONUSES FOR RENEGADE ARMOR COMBAT TRAINING:
This training is available only to full-sized
ADVANCED RENEGADE POWER ARMOR COMBAT TRAINING
- Advanced training for Zentraedi pilots specializing in the Renegade Power Armor.
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels three, six, nine, and twelve.
- +2 to strike.
- +3 to parry.
- +1 to dodge on the ground, +3 to dodge when flying.
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
© Aaron Sketchley