Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
The following material is an adaptation of mecha from MACROSS 7
, a sequel to the original Japanese MACROSS
TV series (which became Robotech here in the U.S.). Please feel free to use, copy, and distribute it as you see fit. All I ask is that you give proper credit to me and do not claim that it is your own work. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
(Version 1.1 - Last Modified: 07/25/98 19:39)
RPG Stats by DAVE DEITRICH)
Background info provided by the MACROSS ONLINE COMPENDIUM
As the war with between the Varohta and the Macross 7 Emigrant Fleet began to escalate, the Varohta began updating their forces to keep pace with improvements made by the Unified Space Forces. One of their more successful new designs was the Az-130A Pantserzorene
, an upgraded heavy fighter version of the Fz-109 Elgerzorene, the standard fighter for the Varohta Forces. Like the Fz-109, the Az-130 design is originally based on the Unified Space Force's VF-14 Hunter Fighter/Bomber, which were designed around 2025. The masters of the Varohta, the Protodevilun, gained this technology when they captured and brainwashed the crew of the Megaroad-13
, which had the misfortune to stumble upon the Protodevilun's icy homeworld in 2043.
The Pantserzorene is basically a much heavier version of the Elgerzorene which sacrifices some speed and agility for increased armor and greater firepower. The Az-130 is a monstrous design with thicker arms and legs, broader shoulders, and a larger and heavier main body and head. The fighter still uses the Varohta-modified versions of the FF-2770 thermonuclear turbine engines however, so the increased mass of the armor leads to lower speeds and performance, especially in a planetary atmosphere. Similarly, the weaponry was changed on the Az-130 to include two 35 mm autocannons, two fixed laser clusters in addition to most of the standard armament used on the Fz-109. The Spiritia Absorption Beam was also kept on the Pantserzorene, and a new Spiritia Defense System was added to try and counter the powers of the Macross 7's Sound Force and Jamming Birds special forces squadrons.
The introduction of the Pantserzorene in the Macross 7/Varohta war was devastating, as the design greatly outclassed the VF-11 Thunderbolts that made up the bulk of the Macross 7's forces. However, the reduced speed and maneuverability hurt it when dealing with faster, more agile opponents such as the upgraded VF-17 Nightmare and the newly-introduced VF-19 Excalibur. The Az-130 was only produced in one variant and in great numbers, and was very common throughout the second half of the war.
- Vehicle Type:
- Az-130A (Standard version)
- Class: Heavy Tactical Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Varauta, based on technology from General Galaxy
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Head 120
Hands (2) 80 each
Arms (2) 180 each
Shoulders/Missile Launchers (2) 200 each
Shoulder Lasers 75 each
Legs & Thrusters (2) 300 each
Rapid-fire laser clusters (2) 50
(2) Main Body 420
Wings (2) 130 each
Reinforced Pilot Compartment/Escape Pod 180
Multipurpose Gun Pod 75
(1) Destroying the head of the Pantserzorene will knock out the Variable Fighter's major sensor systems, including all radar, nightvision, thermal, and Spiritia sensors, and even the main optical systems. This puts the pilot in a VERY bad position, as he will have to rely on backup sensors not designed for combat. The pilot will suffer a -5 to hit and dodge, and have a -5 penalty to initiative until he can retreat and have his sensors fixed. The Spiritia Absorption Beam will also be destroyed if the head is knocked out.
(2) Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha. The pilot may attempt to eject in the cockpit section/escape pod before the craft explodes, but the computer will NOT automatically eject the escape pod like Unified Forces' Variable Fighters are designed to do.
4.5 m high or (6 m long without thrusters.
288 kmph maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely.
FLYING, GERWALK: Mach One (1,072 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely.
FLYING, Fighter: Mach 4.0+ (4,288 kmph) max speed at 10,000 m or less above sea level. Mach 9.0+ (9,648 kmph) max speed at 10,000-30,000 m above sea level. Mach 15.0+ (4.5 kmps) max speed at 30,000+ m above sea level. The Az-130 is fully transatmospheric and can attain orbit above an Earth-type planet without extra booster assistance. Maximum rate of ascent is 37,500 m/minute. G limits are +35.0 to -20.5 standard Earth gravities.
MAX ENGINE THRUST: 55,000 kg x2.
- 17.73 m in Battroid configuration.
- 8.00 m in GERWALK configuration.
- 3.95 m in Fighter configuration.
- 12.95 m at shoulders in Battroid configuration.
- 22.15 m in GERWALK or fighter configuration with wings at maximum extension.
- 5.16 m in Battroid configuration.
- 14.21 m in GERWALK configuration.
- 17.78 m in fighter configuration.
- 15,500 kg
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 95
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
- POWER PLANT:
- Two Shinnakasu/Daimler FF-2770D thermonuclear turbine engines, equipped with three-dimensional convergent/divergent vectored exhaust nozzles for enhanced V/STOL performance and maneuverability, as well as hexagonal underfuselage air intakes for use in an atmosphere. Several additional Pratt & Whitney/Daimler HMM-5C high-maneuverability vernier thrusters for additional mobility are mounted at key positions along the Variable Fighter's fuselage.
- FIXED 35mm AUTOCANNONS:
The main weapons of the Az-130 are two fire-linked 35mm autocannons that are mounted underneath the main fuselage pointed forward in Fighter and GERWALK modes, and on the shoulders of the fighter in Battroid mode. In the latter mode, the cannons can rotate forward over the shoulders to fire in front of the Pantserzorene, or can be aimed up to 30° behind the mecha to shoot at aircraft or targets above it.
- RANGE: 1,220 m
- DAMAGE: Does 4D6 M.D. for a single short burst, 1D4x10 M.D. for a long burst, and 2D4x10 M.D. for a full melee burst with one cannon. When both cannons are fired together, they do 8D6 M.D., 2D4x10 M.D., or 4D4x10 M.D. for short, long, and full melee bursts.
- RATE OF FIRE: Short or medium bursts count as one attack. The pilot can fire as many bursts as his combined hand to hand attacks per melee. Since the cannons are fire-linked, firing both guns together at the same target also counts as one attack. A full melee burst (single or double) takes the place of all other attacks.
- PAYLOAD: Each cannon holds 800 rounds, which is equal to 40 short bursts, 20 medium bursts, or 10 full melee bursts per cannon.
- RAPID-FIRE LASER CLUSTERS:
As a backup weapon for the autocannons, the Pantserzorene is mounted with two three-barrelled beam guns similar to the one on the Elgerzorene. The laser clusters are mounted on the main fuselage of the mecha in Fighter and GERWALK modes, and on the chest in Battroid mode. In all three modes the cannons are restricted to firing in front of the Variable Fighter. The lasers are intended for use in short to medium range combat, either against other mecha or ground forces.
- RANGE: 610 m
- DAMAGE: 1D4 M.D. per laser shot (3D4 M.D. for a triple burst).
- RATE OF FIRE: Each laser can fire up to 5 times per melee round (15 times per cluster per round). Firing all three lasers on one or both clusters at the same target counts as one attack.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
- FIXED REAR LASER CANNON:
Another defensive measure, the Az-130 has a single laser gun fixed on the rear of the aircraft for firing at missiles or mecha pursuing it. The laser is mounted on the rear fuselage in Fighter/GERWALK modes, and on the back of the Variable FIghter pointed downward in Battroid mode (the laser is seldom used in this mode).
- RANGE: 1,220 m
- DAMAGE: 3D6 per blast.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to pilot's number of attacks.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
- FIXED SHORT-RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS (8):
The other main offensive armaments of the Az-130 are 8 missile launchers. 4 launchers are mounted on the front of each engine nacelle in fighter and GERWALK modes, and on the shoulders of the mecha in Battroid mode.. Each missile launcher contains 6 SRM missiles and can fire 1 missile per melee round (including reload time), so volleys of up to 8 missiles can be fired each round. Armor-piercing SRMs are standard issue for the Az-130, but other types can be mounted if desired.
- MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Short Range Missile can be used. (Varohta missiles are identical in stats to Unified Forces' missiles)
- RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 4 km.
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6x10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1 to 8 missiles. One volley counts as one attack.
- PAYLOAD: 6 missiles per launcher; 48 total.
- LEG-MOUNTED MEDIUM-RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS:
Each leg of the Pantserzorene is equipped with a concealed missile launcher bay that can hold up to 8 medium-range missiles. When armed, the missile launcher assembly lowers out of the leg units, allowing all 8 missiles to be fired at once (if necessary). The missiles can be fired in any mode - Fighter, GERWALK, or Battroid. Any type of Medium Range Missile can be used in the launchers, but high explosive are standard issue.
- MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Medium Range Missile can be used. (Varohta missiles are identical in stats to Unified Forces' missiles)
- RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 64.3 km.
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6x10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1-8 missiles per launcher, per round. One volley counts as one attack. If necessary, all 16 missiles can be fired in a single round by expending two attacks.
- PAYLOAD: 8 missiles per launcher; 16 total.
- MULTIPURPOSE GUN PODS (2):
Like the FZ-109, the primary handheld weapon for the Az-130 is a gun pod similar to the old GU-11 used by the original VF-1 Valkyrie. The Varohta gun pod is shorter, however, and features a targeting sensor on the front and a removable clip on the back for easy reloading. Each Az-130 has TWO gun pods, one mounted in each leg in fighter mode and ejected into the hands in GERWALK and Battroid modes. There is also one spare clip for each gun pod in each leg of the mecha. Pilots of the Pantserzorene usually only use one gun pod at a time to extend their ammo supply. The gun pods can be fired in all three modes; in fighter mode the shots exit out of concealed ports in the engine nacelles.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: Does 4D6 M.D. for a short burst, 1D6x10 M.D. for a long burst, or 2D6x10 M.D. for a full melee burst.
- BONUS: +1 to hit from targeting sensor.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the number of combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 160 rounds per clip equals 16 short bursts, 8 long bursts, or 4 full melee bursts. Additional ammo clips can be inserted, but exchanging clips requires a FULL melee round (player forfeits all his attacks for that round). One spare clip is stored in each leg of the Pantserzorene.
- SPIRITIA ABSORPTION BEAM:
The most unique weapon of Varohta mecha is the Spiritia Absorption Beam. A product of Varauta technology, this energy beam is designed to drain the Spiritia from a humanoid and store it for later use. The Spiritia Absorption Beam projects a pencil-thin beam of energy that can penetrate ANY form of armor (even starship armor) without any deflection. Fortunately, the beam has a fairly short range and must be used in close combat. Furthermore, for the beam to have any effect it must strike the BRAIN of a victim; if it hits any other part of the body all the beam produces is a mild stinging sensation. For this reason the beam is usually only used after a target has been incapacitated or otherwise restrained.
For more information on Spiritia, see the optional Spiritia rules.
- RANGE: 24 m
- DAMAGE: None unless the beam strikes the brain. If successful, the beam drains 1D6 M.E. per round until the target reaches 0 M.E.. At this point, the victim falls into a coma until his spiritia regenerates. See the Spiritia rules for details on recovering spiritia.
- RATE OF FIRE: The beam can be fired once per melee round.
- PENALTIES:The beam has a -10 penalty to hit the brain of a MOVING target, such as a flying mecha or a running human. There is no penalty to hit a non-moving target, however, which is why the Az-130 will try to immobilize a target before using the Spiritia Absorption Beam.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT:
If necessary, the pilot of the Pantserzorene can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. Because of its increased strength the Az-130's punches are far more devestating than those of the FZ-109, though it is not as agile as the Elgerzorene.
- Restrained Punch: 2D6 M.D.
- Full Strength Punch: 4D6 M.D.
- "Booster" Punch: 6D6 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
- Tear or Pry with Hands: 2D6 M.D.
- Kick: 2D6 M.D.
- Leap Kick: 4D6 M.D.
- Body Flip/Throw: 2D6 M.D.
- Body Block/Tackle: 4D6 M.D.
- Stomp: 2D6 M.D. (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE Az-130:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Az-130 is equipped with a simple computerized auto- pilot. Not as complex as the one used on Unified Forces Variable Fighters, this system is basically intended for getting the craft from point A to point B without relying on the (often brainwashed) pilot. The auto-pilot can be engaged remotely and programmed to return the mecha to base if the pilot is incapacitated or killed.
- CAPTURE SPHERE: The Pantserzorene can generate an energy sphere from its wrists that can be used to capture humanoids and store them safely for transport back to base. The semi-transparent sphere is self-contained and lasts for up to 4 hours after being generated. The sphere is airtight, radiation-shielded, contains its own oxygen supply, and can even be used to transport captives through space. The sphere can absorb up to 100 SDC points (1 MDC point) of damage before dissipating.
- COMBAT COMPUTER W/HUD DISPLAYS: The Az-130 is equipped with a combat computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. Every monitor in the mecha's cockpit is capable of displaying data on screen, thus allowing the computer to display large amounts of information in HUD (heads-up display) graphics. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 800 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 50 targets simultaneously.
- ESCAPE POD: The entire reinforced cockpit of the Az-130 is a detachable escape pod that can be jettisoned when the mecha is destroyed. The pod is NOT equipped with thrusters, but is equipped with a parachute to provide a soft landing in case of ejection in an atmosphere. The pilot of the Az-130 must manually trigger the cockpit ejection sequence when his craft is destroyed. The computer will NOT automatically eject the cockpit when the main body MDC reaches zero.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 91.5 m. A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the Az-130 is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range of the signal is 640 km. All Varohta starships can locate and track the signals generated by this escape beacon.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 160 km. Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus. This system is especially important when targeting the Spiritia Absorption Beam.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 610 m. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: SPIRITIA IMAGER: Range: 1,220 m. Another product of Varauta technology, this scanner allows the Az-130 to detect lifeforms and measure the spiritia levels of those lifeforms. This sensor allows the pilot of the Az-130 to locate the pilots with the strongest spiritia levels so that he can concentrate on those targets. The spiritia imager can penetrate up to 3.2 m of metal or armor.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 610 m. A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 321 km range. The radar is located in the nose/head of the mecha and will be destroyed if the head is destroyed.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 960 km or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- SPIRITIA DEFENSE SYSTEM: Commonly called a "Sound Protector" or "Sound Wave Dampner", the Az-130 is equipped with a special system designed to help the pilot resist spiritia attacks. The system produces a counter-sound wave that cancels out music and other external sounds before they reach the pilot's ears, thus preventing effects of "culture shock". The system can also deflect most spiritia energy directed at the pilot, thus preventing most spiritia attacks from having any effect. For more details on the Spiritia Defense System, see the Spiritia RPG Rules.
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Az-130's cockpit is pressurized, and also provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized breathing. The Varohta flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of pilot's blacking out in combat.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR PANTSERZORENE FIGHTER TRAINING:
Az-130s are often piloted by brainwashed humanoids from the Macross 5
colony mission. Brainwashed pilots tend to be sluggish, and suffer a -2 to initiative and -1 to hit and dodge rolls during combat.
Az-130 PANTSERZORENE COMBAT TRAINING
- Advanced training for pilots specializing in the Az-130A Pantserzorene.
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels four, eight, and twelve.
- +2 to strike
- +4 to parry
- +1 to dodge in Battroid mode, +3 in GERWALK, +5 in Fighter mode.
- +4 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- +2 to leap dodge. A leap dodge is an automatic dodge which causes no loss of attacks per melee. The new generation Variable Fighters are so maneuverable that the pilot can dodge an attack while moving to counterattack an enemy.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Body block/tackle/ram - 2D6 M.D. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round.
© Aaron Sketchley