Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
The following material is an adaptation of mecha from MACROSS 7
, a sequel to the original Japanese MACROSS
TV series (which became Robotech here in the U.S.). Please feel free to use, copy, and distribute it as you see fit. All I ask is that you give proper credit to me and do not claim that it is your own work. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Fz-109 ELGERZORENE VARIABLE FIGHTER
(Version 1.4 - Last Updated: 07/25/98 19:39)
RPG Stats by DAVE DEITRICH)
Background info provided by the MACROSS ONLINE COMPENDIUM
The Fz-109 Elgerzorene
is the standard tactical Variable Fighter of the Varohta, a mysterious humanoid race living near the center of the galaxy that were encountered by the Macross 7
Emigrant Mission in 2045. The crew of the Macross 7
were initially shocked by the similarity between Varohta and the Unified Space Forces Variable Fighter technology, and theorized that the Varuta may be descendants of the SDF-2 Megaroad-01
(which disappeared in the same general area that the Varohta inhabit) or even descendants of the protocultures, beings who built the original Macross that crashed on Earth in 1999. However, military intelligence and interrogation of captured Varohta pilots later revealed that the Varohta were in fact descendants of the Megaroad-13
(which also disappeared near the center of the galaxy) and that the the Fz-109 was modeled after the VF-14 Hunter Fighter/Bomber
that was produced by General Galaxy around 2025. The Fz-109 was NOT based on the VF-4 Lightning III Variable Fighters that were stationed on the Megaroad-01
when it disappeared.
The Elgerzorene is an extremely powerful and maneuverable variable fighter, easily superior to the Unified Space Forces's standard VF-11 Thunderbolt and nearly equal to the VF-17 Nightmare. The fighter carries a wide variety of weaponry, consisting of lasers, missiles, and a multipurpose gun pod similar to the GU-11 or GU-15 pods used by the Unified Space Forces. The powerful engines on the craft are based on the Shinnakasu FF-2770 thermonuclear turbine engines that are capable of operation both inside and out of a planetary atmosphere. The canopy is completely enclosed and provides no windows to the outside, affording the pilot with greater protection at the cost of being forced to rely on camera optics. But the most unique system on the Fz-109 is the Spiritia Absorption Beam, a product of Varohta technology designed to absorb Spirita from a humanoid victim and store it for return to base.
The speed and power of the Elgerzorene made it a deadly opponent in the early battles of the Macross 7/Varohta war, but as Unified Space Forces pilots became more experienced with fighting the Fz-109's, they began to develop strategies for beating them. Likewise, the Macross 7 development staff began producing new variable fighter designs and upgrading old ones to make them more than a match for the Elgerzorenes. Eventually the Varohta countered with a more developed version of the fighter (the FBz-99G Zaubergeran and the Az-130A Pantserzorene) but the Fz-109 still remains the primary fighter of the Varohta military.
- Fz-109A (Standard version)
- Fz-109F (Upgraded version assinged to commanding officers)
- Class: Main Tactical Variable Fighter
Manufacturer: Varohta, based on technology from General Galaxy
Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System
MDC BY LOCATION:
Head Lasers (2, Fz-109F only) 50 each
(1) Head 100
Hands (2) 60 each
Arms (2) 120 each
Shoulders/Missile Launchers (2) 120 each
Shoulder Lasers (2, Fz-109F only) 50 each
Legs & Thrusters (2) 250 each
Rapid-fire laser cluster (chest) 40
Large-bore blaster cannon (chest) 40
(2) Main Body 350
Wings (2) 120 each
Reinforced Pilot Compartment/Escape Pod 150
Multipurpose Gun Pod 75
- (1) Destroying the head of the Elgerzorene will knock out the mecha's major sensor systems, including nightvision, thermal, spiritia sensor, and even the main optical system. This puts the pilot in a VERY bad position, as he will have to rely on backup sensors not designed for combat. The pilot will suffer a -5 to hit and dodge, and have a -5 penalty to initiative until he can retreat and have his sensors fixed. The Spiritia Absorption Beam will also be destroyed if the head is knocked out.
- (2) Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha. The pilot may attempt to eject in the cockpit section/escape pod before the craft explodes, but the computer will NOT automatically eject the escape pod like Unified Space Forces mecha are designed to do.
RUNNING, BATTROID CONFIGURATION:
LEAPING, BATTROID CONFIGURATION:
6 m high or 9 m long without thrusters.
FLYING, BATTROID CONFIGURATION:
320 kmph maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely.
FLYING, GERWALK CONFIGURATION: Mach One (1,072 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely.
FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION: Mach 4.5+ (4,824 kmph) max speed at 10,000 meters or less above sea level. Mach 10.5+ (11,256 kmph) max speed at 10,000-30,000 m above sea level. Mach 21+ (6.25 kmps) max speed at 30,000+ m above sea level. The Fz-109 is fully transatmospheric and can attain orbit above an Earth-type planet without extra booster assistance. Maximum rate of ascent is 42,000 m/min. G limits are +34.1 to -20.1 standard Earth gravities.
MAX ENGINE THRUST: 52,500 kg x2 for Fz-109A, 55,000 kg x2 for Fz-109F.
- 54.75 ft (17.11 m) in Battroid configuration.
- 24.63 ft (7.70 m) in GERWALK configuration.
- 12.16 ft (3.80 m) in Fighter configuration.
- 38.33 ft (11.98 m) at shoulders in Battroid configuration.
- 63.90 ft (19.97 m) in GERWALK or Fighter configuration with wings at maximum extension.
- 13.95 ft (4.36 m) in Battroid configuration.
- 51.40 ft (16.06 m) in GERWALK configuration.
- 64.26 ft (20.08 m) in fighter configuration.
- 12,500 kg (Fz-109A)
- 13,200 kg (Fz-109F)
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH:
- Equal to a P.S. of 75
- Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
- POWER PLANT:
- Two Shinnakasu/Daimler FF-2770D thermonuclear turbine engines, equipped with three-dimensional convergent/divergent vectored exhaust nozzles for enhanced V/STOL performance and maneuverability, as well as hexagonal underfuselage air intakes for use in an atmosphere. Several additional Pratt & Whitney/Daimler HMM-5C high-maneuverability vernier thrusters for additional mobility are mounted at key positions along the mecha's hull.
- FIXED SHORT-RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS (8):
The main armament for the Fz-109 consists of 8 missile launchers, 4 mounted on each engine nacelle/shoulder of the mecha. Each missile launcher contains 5 SRM missiles and can fire 1 missile per melee round (including reload time), so volleys of up to 8 missiles can be fired each round. Armor-piercing SRMs are standard issue for the Fz-109, but other types can be mounted if desired.
- MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Short Range Missile can be used. (Varuta missiles are identical in stats to Unified Space Forces missiles)
- RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 8 km.
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6x10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1 to 8 missiles. One volley counts as one attack.
- PAYLOAD: 5 missiles per launcher; 40 total.
- LEG-MOUNTED MEDIUM-RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS:
Each leg of the Elgerzorene is equipped with a concealed missile launcher bay that can hold up to 8 medium-range missiles. When armed, the missile launcher assembly rises out of the leg units, allowing all 8 missiles to be fired at once (if necessary). The missiles can be fired in any mode - Fighter, GERWALK, or Battroid. Any type of Medium Range Missile can be used in the launchers, but high explosive are standard issue.
- MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Medium Range Missile can be used. (Varuta missiles are identical in stats to Unified Space Forces missiles)
- RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 64.3 km.
- DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6x10 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1-8 missiles per launcher, per round. One volley counts as one attack. If necessary, all 16 missiles can be fired in a single round by expending two attacks.
- PAYLOAD: 8 missiles per launcher; 16 total.
- ANTI-AIRCRAFT PULSE LASERS (Fz-109F ONLY):
The command version of the Elgerzorene mounts four heavy-duty pulse lasers in addition to the standard armament found on the Fz-109A version. A pair of these lasers are mounted on the head in Battroid mode, and on the nose of the craft in Fighter and GERWALK modes. The other two lasers are mounted on the shoulders/engine nacelles of the Fighter in front of the missile launchers. These lasers are similiar to the standard lasers mounted on the heads of Unified Space Forces Variable Fighters, and are intended primarily for use in air combat skirmishes and defensive purposes. The lasers can only fire forward in Fighter or GERWALK modes, but can be adjusted to fire front or back in Battroid mode.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: 2D4 M.D. per laser
- RATE OF FIRE: The laser can be fired in rapid pulses up to 4 blasts per round. A rapid fire blast counts as a burst of up to 4 shots. All four lasers can be fired at once if necessary, and at the same target.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
- LARGE-BORE BLASTER CANNON:
The Fz-109 is equipped with a heavy blaster cannon for use in close-range combat. The blaster cannon is mounted on the lower chest of the mecha in BATTROID mode, and on the rear fuselage of the craft in fighter and GERWALK modes. In the latter two modes, the cannon can only fire behind the mecha; it can only fire forward in Battroid mode. This reason, combined with the short range of the cannon, makes it mostly useless except in close-range hand-to-hand combat.
- RANGE: 240 m
- DAMAGE: 6D6 M.D.
- RATE OF FIRE: The blaster cannon has a built-in cooling cycle that limits the rate of fire to once per melee round. This prevents the cannon from overheating and damaging the mecha.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
- RAPID-FIRE LASER CLUSTER:
Each Elgerzorene is equipped with a cluster of small laser cannons intended for use in short to medium range combat, either against other mecha or ground forces. These lasers are mounted on the lower chest of the mecha in Battroid mode, and on the rear fuselage of the craft in Fighter and GERWALK modes, opposide the large-bore blaster cannon. The cannon is restricted to firing behind the mecha in fighter and GERWALK modes, and can only fire forward in Battroid mode. The Fz-109A is mounted with two individual lasers in the cluster, while the Fz-109F has three.
- RANGE: 600 m
- DAMAGE: 1D4 M.D. per laser shot.
- RATE OF FIRE: Each laser can fire up to 5 times per melee round, which means the Fz-109A can fire a burst of 10 shots in a single round, or 15 shots per round for the Fz-109F.
- PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
- MULTIPURPOSE GUN PODS (2):
The primary handheld weapon for the Fz-109 is a gun pod similar to the old GU-11 used by the original VF-1 Valkyrie. The Elgerzorene's gun pod is shorter, however, and features a targeting sensor on the front and a removable clip on the back for easy reloading. Each Fz-109 has TWO gun pods, one mounted in each leg in fighter mode and ejected into the hands in GERWALK and Battroid modes. There is also one spare clip for each gun pod in each leg of the mecha. Pilots of the Elgerzorene usually only use one gun pod at a time to extend their ammo supply. The gun pods can be fired in all three modes; in Fighter mode the shots exit out of concealed ports in the engine nacelles.
- RANGE: 1,200 m
- DAMAGE: Does 4D6 M.D. for a short burst, 1D6x10 M.D. for a long burst, or 2D6x10 M.D. for a full melee burst.
- BONUS: +1 to hit from targeting sensor.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the number of combined attacks of the pilot.
- PAYLOAD: 160 rounds per clip equals 16 short bursts, 8 long bursts, or 4 full melee bursts. Additional ammo clips can be inserted, but exchanging clips requires a FULL melee round (player forfeits all his attacks for that round). One spare clip is stored in each leg of the Elgerzorene.
- SPIRITIA ABSORPTION BEAM:
The most unique weapon of the Elgerzorene is the Spiritia Absorption Beam. A product of Varohta technology, this energy beam is designed to drain the Spiritia from a humanoid and store it for later use. This is the main purpose of the Fz-109, to serve as a combat ready vehicle for retrieving spiritia from the Varohta's enemies.
The Spiritia Absorption Beam projects a pencil-thin beam of energy that can penetrate ANY form of armor (even starship armor) without any deflection. Fortunately, the beam has a fairly short range and must be used in close combat. Furthermore, for the beam to have any effect it must strike the BRAIN of a victim; if it hits any other part of the body all the beam produces is a mild stinging sensation. For this reason the beam is usually only used after a target has been incapacitated or otherwise restrained. (In the TV series it is very common for Fz-109s to go after Unified Space Forces pilots who have ejected in order to drain their spiritia).
For more information on Spiritia, refer to the optional Spiritia rules.
- RANGE: 24 m
- DAMAGE: None unless the beam strikes the brain. If successful, the beam drains 1D6 M.E. per round until the target reaches 0 M.E. At this point, the victim falls into a coma until his spiritia regenerates. See the Spiritia rules for details on recovering spiritia.
- RATE OF FIRE: The beam can be fired once per melee round.
- PENALTIES:The beam has a -10 penalty to hit the brain of a MOVING target, such as a flying VF or a running human. There is no penalty to hit a non-moving target, however, which is why the Fz-109 will try to immobilize a target before using he Spiritia Absorption Beam.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited.
- HAND TO HAND COMBAT:
If necessary, the pilot of the Fz-109 can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. The Variable Fighter is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc.
- Restrained Punch: 1D6 M.D.
- Full Strength Punch: 3D6 M.D.
- "Booster" Punch: 4D6 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
- Tear or Pry with Hands: 2D4 M.D.
- Kick: 2D4 M.D.
- Leap Kick: 3D6 M.D.
- Body Flip/Throw: 1D6 M.D.
- Body Block/Tackle: 2D6 M.D.
- Stomp: 2D4 M.D. (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE Fz-109:
- AUTO-PILOT: The Fz-109 is equipped with a simple computerized auto- pilot. Not as complex as the one used on Unified Space Forces mecha, this system is basically intended for getting the craft from point A to point B without relying on the (often brainwashed) pilot. The auto-pilot can be engaged remotely and programmed to return the mecha to base if the pilot is incapacitated or killed.
- CAPTURE SPHERE: The Elgerzorene can generate an energy sphere from its wrists that can be used to capture humanoids and store them safely for transport back to base. The semi-transparent sphere is self-contained and lasts for up to 4 hours after being generated. The sphere is airtight, radiation-shielded, contains its own oxygen supply, and can even be used to transport captives through space. The sphere can absorb up to 100 SDC points (1 MDC point) of damage before dissipating.
- COMBAT COMPUTER W/HUD DISPLAYS: The Fz-109 is equipped with a combat computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. Every monitor in the mecha's cockpit is capable of displaying data on screen, thus allowing the computer to display large amounts of information in HUD (heads-up display) graphics. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 800 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 50 targets simultaneously.
- ESCAPE POD: The entire reinforced cockpit of the Fz-109 is a detachable escape pod that can be jettisoned when the mecha is destroyed. The pod is NOT equipped with thrusters, but is equipped with a parachute to provide a soft landing in case of ejection in an atmosphere. The pilot of the Fz-109 must manually trigger the cockpit ejection sequence when his craft is destroyed. The computer will NOT automatically eject the cockpit when the main body MDC reaches zero.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 91.5 m. A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away.
- HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life threatening heat and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels of radiation are.
- HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the Fz-109 is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range of the signal is 640 km). All Varuta starships can locate and track the signals generated by this escape beacon.
- LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 160 km. Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus. This system is especially important when targeting the Spiritia Absorption Beam.
- LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels.
- OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 610 m. A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture.
- OPTICS: SPIRITIA IMAGER: Range: 1,220 m. Another product of Varohta technology, this scanner allows the Fz-109 to detect lifeforms and measure the spiritia levels of those lifeforms. This sensor allows the pilot of the Fz-109 to locate the pilots with the strongest spiritia levels so that he can concentrate on those targets. The spiritia imager can penetrate up to 3.2 m) of metal or armor.
- OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 610 m. A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill.
- RADAR: 321 km range.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 960 km or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay.
- TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The Fz-109's cockpit is pressurized, and also provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized breathing. The Varuta flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of pilot's blacking out in combat.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR ELGERZORENE FIGHTER TRAINING:
Fz-109s are often piloted by brainwashed humanoids who have had their spiritia drained. Brainwashed pilots tend to be sluggish, and suffer a -2 to initiative and -1 to hit and dodge rolls during combat.
Fz-109 ELGERZORENE COMBAT TRAINING
- Advanced training for pilots specializing in the Fz-109.
- 3 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot).
- Add one additional action/attack at levels four, eight, and twelve.
- +2 to strike
- +3 to parry
- +2 to dodge in Battroid mode, +4 in GERWALK, +6 in Fighter mode.
- +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half.
- +2 to leap dodge. A leap dodge is an automatic dodge which causes no loss of attacks per melee. The new generation Variable Fighters are so maneuverable that the pilot can dodge an attack while moving to counterattack an enemy.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
- Body block/tackle/ram - 1D6 M.D. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round.
© Aaron Sketchley