Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|ARMD-II Combat Space Carrier|
The ARMD (Armaments Rigged-up Moving Deck) is a Space Carrier with an upper surface that has a characteristically flat hull so that it is easy to deploy ship-borne craft. Though Over Technology is used in things as the propulsion engine and power system, the hull has an exceedingly simple structure. There are such things as a bridge for control of the ship, an armoured hull, and a propulsion system for the collection of ship-borne craft that won't be able to return to base; which enables the ARMD-II to cruise independently when not attached to the SDF-1 or SDFN series of Emigrant Ship via an optional docking module at the rear of the ARMD-II.
Even though the ARMD looks small compared with the SDF-1's total length of 1.2 km, it boasts a size and capacity that surpasses the common aircraft carrier.
The ARMD-II class began production on or before 2021. Some ARMD-II class were assigned to the defence of Emigrant Fleets, and others were under the command of the Earth sphere's reserve fleet deployed to the defensive lines within the Solar System. Depending on the situation, those ships were likely to be sent outside the solar system by requests for support from emigrant planets, while being concurrently tasked with training VF pilots for deployment to the defence fleet of emigrant planets that are in the midst of development.
From 2026, the ARMD-II class were built concurrently with the Guantánamo class Stealth Carrier, an ARMD type Stealth Carrier that adopted Zentraadi technology; and whose production began that year. By 2029, some of the ARMD-II class had begun to return from Emigrant Fleets, receiving a number of remodelling updates, as they had become somewhat old fashioned, and were destined to spend their remaining years as training ships.
Author's note: available information at the time of writing implies that the ARMD-II class began production around 2015, and that approximately 50 existed by 2024. 24 of the ARMD-II class have been attached to SDFN class Emigrant ships, and 2 have been attached to the SDF-1.
DYRL Alternate Timeline Version:
One of the primary reasons that the SDF-1 Macross was able to pass through frequent battles with aliens was the launching of effectively operated and hard-fighting carrier borne aircraft. It is the Space Carrier ARMD which sustained that and functioned as both the mothership of, and the center of operation for the SDF-1's carrier borne aircraft. Even though this warship was originally constructed as a rig and floating stand for space fighters deployed at such places as the Lagrange Points and above satellite geosynchronous orbit, as the restoration plan of the ASS-1 progressed, they were diverted and hurriedly constructed to be the carrier-based aircraft operation platform of the SDF-1. The ARMD exist only as a hastily made ship for combining with the SDF-1 Macross.
Various mechanisms were added to the warship when the ARMD was remodelled from a Space-Fighter Rig to an ARMD. The first warship, ARMD-01, connects to the SDF-1's left side, and the second warship, ARMD-02, is on the right side. The deck layout of 01 and 02 are reversed on the left and right (the bridge of 01 is placed starboard, and the bridge of 02 is port), and it can be surmised that the decision for this arrangement was from the conception of the plan to integrate the ships with the SDF-1.
The ARMD were docked with the SDF-1 in December, 2008, and formed one part of the SDF-1's strategic system. They attended the SDF-1's space-launch ceremony in February, 2009. The SDF-1 and its ARMD sustained the attack by the alien "Zentraadi people" during the ceremony and took the drastic step of an emergency fold, together with the Valkyrie squads that had launched from the carrier Prometheus for the protection of the SDF-1. Thereafter, no matter what, the ARMD demonstrated the capabilities of ship-borne aircraft and repelled the attacks of both the Zentraadi and Meltrandi Forces until the SDF-1 Macross returned to the Earth from the outer circumference of the Solar System.
In the "Minmei Attack", the ARMD rushed into the Bodoru Flagship as both flanks of the SDF-1. It contributed to the crushing of the flagship by simultaneously firing its armaments with the SDF-1.
Vehicle Type: Space Combat Carrier
1,050 (75 officers, 775 enlisted, 200 pilots with capability to accommodate another 250 personnel on special assignment).
Manufacturer: Unified Space Forces Space Armory
Government: Unified Government; New Unified Government
Customer: Unified Forces
Design Features: increased armour plating; improved propulsive power and armaments; module for docking with the SDF-1 and SDFN class Emigrant ships.
Ships of Class:
ARMD-204 Kīlauea: one of the first ARMD-II class carriers built; was the first of this class to have been given a second mission after returning from Emigrant Fleet defence in 2029.
ARMD-213 Altamira: newly augmented [reinforced] as of 2021.08.
ARMD-244 Lassen Peak: 2024.
Advanced ARMD Ark Royal: 2017.
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body
(2) Main Engines
(2) Auxilliary Engines (4)
(4) Sensor Array
Guided Focusing Beam Guns (2)
Medium Anti-Ship Missile Launcher (6)
Small Anti-Aircraft Guns (48)
Anti-Aircraft Missile Phalanx (8)
Outer Hull (per 12 m area)
Interior Hangar Walls (per 6 m area)
Interior Walls (per 3 m area)
(5) Pinpoint Barrier System (2)
(6) Docking Module
- (1) Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the ship out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
- (2) Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its secondary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND secondary engines will leave the ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the anti-gravity system useless due to loss of power).
- (3) Destroying the command tower will instantly kill the command staff (main bridge).
- (4) Located on the four corners of the ship. Destroying all four sensor arrays will deprive the ship of all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The range and targeting capabilities of the secondary systems are equal to that of a VF-11 Thunderbolt. The ship can still operate, but is at -3 on initiative, -3 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by half.
- (5) The pin-point barrier will regenerate at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- (6) Destroying the docking module will severe the ARMD-II from the SDFN or SDF-1. The ship cannot reattach to the arm until the docking module has been replaced.
0.1 speed of light (approximately 37,000 kmps)
Speed (Auxiliary Drives):
Mach 6.5 in space.
Space Fold Range:
25 light years if there are no fold faults.
cannot fly in an atmosphere. Will burn up and crash.
estimated 20 year life span, which can be extended with regular maintenance and overhauls.
Maximum Underwater Depth:
Maximum rate of ascent:
400 m per minute using the anti-gravity propulsion system.
Maximum instantaneous acceleration during combat:
Width: 220 m
Length: 450 m
Operational Inertial Mass: 174,000 t
Power System: O-T Development Type Reaction Furnace x2
Jet Propulsion System: O-T Development Type Main Composite Nozzle x2, many Vernier Thrusters
Fold Engine: OTM Macross Fold engine cluster system.
Gravity Control System: O-T Development Type Gravity Control System
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: 2,500 MDC. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
5. ELECTRONIC COUNTERMEASURES
Note: In space, Radio and Radar Waves are range x10.
Note: Stats indicate the Effective Range. Maximum Range is effective range x1.5, but is -3 to strike.
In space: Explosions and shock-waves: range x 10, but damage x0.1 in the extended shock-wave; Lasers: range x2; Extended range is range x3, but is -2 to strike and damage x0.5; Other weapons: range x2
1. O-T GUIDED FOCUSING BEAM GUNS (2)
Located at the front of the ship, on either side of the bridge. The guns cannot be moved without repositioning the entire ship and fire in the forward hemisphere, with the beams able to be angled up to 15° off the centerline of the ship.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defence
- RANGE: 700 km
- DAMAGE: 2D10x100 M.D. per gun. The two guns can be fire linked.
- RATE OF FIRE: each gun can fire three (3) times per melee. The gun turrets can be fired individually or be combined to fire a single volley.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited as long as the main engines are operational.
2. MEDIUM SELF-GUIDED ANTI-SHIP MISSILE LAUNCHERS (6)
Many missile launchers have been placed on the ARMD itself. DYRL version: They were used when the ARMD rushed into the Bodoru flagship.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defence
- RANGE: 3,500 km
- SPEED: Mach 3+ (3,675 kmph, Mach 6+ in space)
- DAMAGE: 4D8x50 M.D. to 25 m, 4D8x5 M.D. to 50 m, 4D8 M.D. to 75 m.
- BLAST RADIUS: 75 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 to 5 missiles per launcher. Each launcher can fire a maximum of 2 times per melee round. The six launchers can be fired together.
- PAYLOAD: 15 missiles per launcher, 90 missiles total. A few dozen missiles are held in storage, but require 1D4x5+20 minutes to load.
3. SMALL ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS (48)
Mounted all over the hull, approximately 8 per side. The guns are essentially a GU-11 gun pod mounted on a turret with a larger magazine. With a rate of fire of 1,200 rounds per minute, the guns can expend their entire magazine within seconds. To prevent this, they have been mechanically preset to be able to fire in burst of either 5, 10, 20 rounds, or multiples of 10 until the magazine is emptied.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: anti-missile
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: anti-aircraft
- RANGE: 1,100 m
- DAMAGE: DAMAGE: 1D12 per round. 1D6X10 MD per 5 round burst. Refer to the Gun Pods and Beam Machine Gun Burst and Spray Rules for alternatives.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks. The AA guns aren't limited to bursts of 5, 10 or 20 rounds.
- PAYLOAD: 1,200 rounds (200 along the barrel, and 1,000 in the replaceable magazine). Magazine requires 1D6 melee actions if spare magazine and appropriate equipment is standing by. Requires 1D6 melees if only a spare magazine is ready.
- NOTE: The AA guns can be set on automatic during combat, during which time they have a +1 to strike due to their tracking systems. The AA Guns' tracking system will target incoming missiles first and attacking mobile weapons second.
4. ANTI-AIRCRAFT MISSILE PHALANXES (12)
Two per side. They are similar to the SDR-04 Mk XII Phalanx's missile launchers, complete with targeting radar and searchlight.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-aircraft
- MISSILES TYPE: Short-range high-maneuverability self-guided missiles
- RANGE: 10 km
- SPEED: under investigation
- DAMAGE: 2D6x10 M.D.
- BLAST RADIUS: 3 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 to 22 missiles per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: 44 missiles per launcher, 352 missiles total. The missile launchers can be replaced with a new one full of missiles. Requires 1D6+2 melee actions if spare magazine and appropriate equipment is standing by. Requires 1D6 melees if only a spare magazine is ready. Replacment occurs inside the ships hull.
5. SHIP-BORNE CRAFT
Variable Fighters and Ghost Fighter Craft are also loaded on the ARMD. The ARMD functions as their carrier and headquarters. The ARMD-II
is equipped with hook arm launch systems, allowing VFs to be carried out suspended in the hook arm and launching from the ship according to instruction from the guidance sign. The hangar ceilings are 15 m high. The armoury usually has enough stores (Super Parts, missiles, etc.) for 5 to 10 combat sorties.
Initial Period Type:
262 Variable Fighters: 120 VF-4, 108 VF-1, 34 VE-1/VT-1
66 QF-3000E Ghost
numerous other small craft (Shuttle/Liason Craft, Spider Bug, etc.)
Later Period Type (2030~):
168 VF-11 or VF-14
66 QF-3000E Ghost
numerous Shuttle/Liason Craft, Spider Bug, etc.
6. HAND TO HAND COMBAT
If necessary, the pilot of the ARMD-II class Space Carrier can use the ship itself as a weapon. The attack isn't recommended as, even though the PPB may prevent the ship itself from being damaged, the sudden stop will send everything that isn't strapped down flying, and may cause considerable damage or even death among the crew.
- Ram: 1D6x1,000 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Ship Sensor Systems
Note: In space, Radio and Radar Waves are range x10.
- CONTROL SYSTEM
- FOLD COMMUNICATIONS: range approximately 2.5 light years (47.5 trillion km) when deployed in outer space.
- FOLD WAVE SENSOR
- OPTICS - ATFLiR Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared
- OPTICS: HYBRID SENSOR/TV CAMERA SYSTEM
- RADAR - INTEGEATED MULTI-PURPOSE SENSOR SET: range: over 3,200 km. Can detect and track up to 1,500 targets simultaneously and can record position, speed, and direction of motion for all targets tracked. Can target 125 targets at the same time. (Later models can track 3,000 targets, and can guide missiles at 175 targets.)
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION
OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Ship Other Systems
- AIRLOCKS 40 are scattered over the hull.
- CARGO HATCHES: 6 are scattered over the hull.
- DOCKING - HARD & SOFT
- DOCKING MODULE: installed on the back of the ship, and is constructed to connect with the SDF-1 and SDFN side gunwale docking arm. The docking arm can slide left and right along the joining part of the module.
- GRAVITY CONTROL
- IFF ANTENNA
- IFF/UHF DATALINK ANTENNA AND TACAN/UHF ANTENNA
- LARGE DOCKS: the warship's bow and the lower side of the main nozzle in the warship's stern are large docks.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM
- UHF & VHF ANTENNA
COMBAT BONUSES FOR SPACECRAFT TRAINING
The following is in ship-to-ship combat with enemy starships or Protodeviln. They do not apply in ship to mobile weapon combat.
- +3 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot). +1 attack at levels 3, 6, 11 and 15.
© Aaron Sketchley