Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
The ARMD (Armaments Rigged-up Moving Deck) Gunship class is part of a multi-purpose space battle carrier that was developed on the concept of "comparatively smaller yet excels in manoeuvrability". With a high manoeuvrability that far surpasses that of a usual warship and with a reaction engine cluster of significant power, it has great firepower due to a buster cannon. The design was carried out by Macross Frontier's Hashuu [Yaesu] Heavy Industries and L.A.I., and it was built in a dock inside the Macross Frontier.
The ARMD-L gunship, even when separated from the Macross Quarter, can cruise in the void of space, fold, and so forth on it's own, as well as such things as cruise in the atmosphere and underwater.
60 to 80 fighters, bombers and so on, Destroids, etc., can be loaded on board the ARMD-L. When normal, the flight deck forms a 0.5 G gravitational field, and ship-launches like a typical carrier can be carried out. In addition, since the flight deck has heavy energy conversion armour, in Storming-Attack form, it becomes a shield. Three standard linear (electromagnetic)-type catapults (includes the angled deck).
The ARMD-L was designed as a support ship that provides air support for the Macross Quarter, the Macross Quarter Fleet and landing operations, as well as air attack operations. The VFs and Destroids stationed aboard the ARMD-L are also used as mechanized infantry.
Extension Rig(ging) for the Macross Quarter class
180 (20 officers, 80 enlisted, 80 pilots with the capability to accommodate another 20 personnel on special assignment).
Manufacturer: Hashuu [Yaesu] Heavy Industries and L.A.I.
Government: New Unified Government (Earth)
Customer: S.M.S., New Unified Forces
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1) Main Body
(2) Main Engines
(3) Sensor Array (sides) (2)
Medium Anti-Ship Missile Launcher (3)
Anti-Aircraft Missile Launcher (4)
Twin Beam CIWS Turrets (8)
Armored outer hull (per 12 m area)
Interior walls (per 6 m area)
(5) Pin Point Barrier (4)
- (1) Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the ship out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
- (2) Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its secondary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND secondary engines will leave the ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the anti-gravity system useless due to loss of power).
- (3) Destroying both sensor arrays will deprive the ship of all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The range and targeting capabilities of the secondary systems are equal to that of a VF-11 Thunderbolt. The ship can still operate, but is at -3 on initiative, -3 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by half.
- (4) The pin-point barrier will regenerate at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
0.25 speed of light (approximately 75,000 kmps)
Speed (Auxiliary Drives):
Mach 4 (Mach 8 in space)
Space Fold Range:
25 light years if there are no fold faults.
Planet bound: Can cruise in atmosphere and underwater.
estimated 30 year life span, which can be extended with regular maintenance and overhauls.
Maximum Underwater Depth:
Maximum rate of ascent:
400 m per minute using the anti-gravity propulsion system.
Maximum instantaneous acceleration during combat:
Length: about 194 m
Operational Inertial Mass: 30,000 t
Main Engine: Reaction Engine Cluster
Fold Engine: OTM Macross Fold engine cluster system.
Sublight Drive: OTEC/Sentinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: OTEC Advanced Gravity Control System
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: 2,500 MDC. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
5 ELECTRONIC COUNTERMEASURES
Note: In space, Radio and Radar Waves are range x10.
The ship has acquired a fighting strength that can oppose the Vajra by converting or refitting the missile warheads and guns to MDE warhead and beam specification using Fold Quartz extracted from Vajra corpses.
Note: Stats indicate the Effective Range. Maximum Range is effective range x1.5, but is -3 to strike.
In space: Explosions and shock-waves: range x 10, but damage x0.1 in the extended shock-wave; Lasers: range x2; Extended range is range x3, but is -2 to strike and damage x0.5; Other weapons: range x2
1. MEDIUM SELF-GUIDED ANTI-SHIP MISSILE LAUNCHERS (3):
Two are recessed in the middle of the sides of the ship and one is in the bulbous bow, facing forward.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defence
- RANGE: 4,000 km
- SPEED: Mach 6+ (7,350 kmph, Mach 12+ in space)
- DAMAGE: 4D8x50 M.D. to 25 m, 4D8x5 M.D. to 50 m, 2D8 M.D. to 75 m.
- BLAST RADIUS: 75 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 to 5 missiles per launcher. Each launcher can fire a maximum of 2 times per melee round. The six launchers can be fired together.
- PAYLOAD: 15 missiles per launcher, 45 missiles total. A few dozen missiles are held in storage, but require 1D4x5+20 minutes to load.
2. ANTI-AIRCRAFT MISSILE LAUNCHERS (4)
Four per side. Each launcher contains 10 missile tubes allowing volleys of up to 10 missiles to be fired at a single target per launcher.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-aircraft
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- MISSILES TYPE: Short-range high-maneuverability self-guided missiles
- RANGE: 50 km
- SPEED: Mach 2+ (2,450 kmph, Mach 4+ in space)
- DAMAGE: 3D8x10 M.D.
- BLAST RADIUS: 15 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 to 10 missiles per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: 10 missiles per launcher. Once the missiles are expended, the launcher is reloaded within 1 round via an automated system. The reload system holds 50 missiles per launcher.
- OTHER: Missile Body 10 MDC; Proximity fuse detonation. Defeats target via fragmentation. 1/2 damage vs. armoured targets. 2 attacks, +2 to strike.
3. RAMMINGTON 20 mm TWIN BEAM CIWS (8):
These Close in Weapons Systems (CIWS) can either be computer or manually controlled and do not suffer the negative modifiers to hitting attacking mobile weapons, that larger Starship based weapons do. They are intended primarily for anti-aircraft and anti-missile defense, but can do moderate damage against smaller enemy spacecraft if they get too close. Three are spread evenely on both the port and starboard sides of the ARMD-L, and 2 are on the dorsal side, one near the bow and 1 near the stern.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Missile
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Aircraft
- RANGE: 4,000 m
- DAMAGE: 1D6 MD per round. 1D6X10 MD per 10 round burst. Refer to the Gun Pods and Beam Machine Gun Burst and Spray Rules for alternatives.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the controller's number of hand-to-hand attacks. If set on automatic each laser turret can fire up to 4 shots per round.
- PAYLOAD: 40 rounds per melee. The CIWS are limited to bursts of 10 or 20 rounds per attack.
- NOTE: The Beam CIWS can be set on automatic during combat, during which time they have a +3 to strike due to their advanced tracking systems. The Beam CIWS tracking systems will target incoming missiles first and attacking mobile weapons second.
4. SHIP-BORNE CRAFT (STANDARD):
The ARMD-L serves as the main carrier in the Macross Quarter fleet, with a large hangar in the middle of the hull. The armoury usually has enough stores (Super Parts, missiles, etc.) for 5 to 10 combat sorties.] A maximum 80 units carried aboard the ARMD-L.
The hangar is divided into two sections: a larger front section, where aircraft storage and maintenance is carried out, and a smaller rear section, where Battroid and Queadlunn-Rhea storage and maintenance is performed. Between the two sections are an airlock and the two central elevators to the flight deck. If a VB-6 is included in the ship, it is usually stored in shuttle mode with its wings folded up in the rear secton. There are three elevators providing access from the hanger to the flight deck, and doors in the Battroid section of the hangar that provide direct access to space.
The hangar ceiling is 15 m high. Only the hangars, gun barrel and cargo bays are macron (battroid) scale. The rest of the ship is micron scale.
Macross Quarter No. 25 ARMD-L:
3 QF-4000 (AIF-7S) Ghost
8 Cheyenne II: for defence
3 Shuttles/Liason Craft
NUNS type ARMD-L:
40 VF (usually VF-171)
6 Queadluun-Rhea (or 3 and 1 VB-6)
60 QF-4000 (AIF-7S) Ghost
5 Cheyenne II: for defence
3 Shuttles/Liason Craft
5. HAND TO HAND COMBAT
If necessary, the pilot of the ARMD-L can use the ship itself as a weapon. The attack isn't recommended as, even though the PPB may prevent the ship itself from being damaged, the sudden stop will send everything that isn't strapped down flying, and may cause considerable damage or even death among the crew.
- Ram: 1D4x1,000 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Ship Sensor Systems
Note: In space, Radio and Radar Waves are range x10.
- CONTROL SYSTEM
- ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVE SENSOR: range 375 km.
- FOLD COMMUNICATIONS: range approximately 10 light years (95 trillion km) when deployed in outer space.
- FOLD WAVE SENSOR: can identify up to 3,096 targets simultaneously, and can guide long to medium-range missiles at 186 targets at the same time.
- OPTICS - ATFLiR Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared
- OPTICS: HYBRID SENSOR/TV CAMERA SYSTEM
- RADAR - INTEGEATED MULTI-PURPOSE SENSOR SET: range: over 3,200 km. Can detect and track up to 3,096 targets simultaneously and can record position, speed, and direction of motion for all targets tracked. Can target 186 targets at the same time.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION
OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Ship Other Systems
- AIRLOCKS: 20 are scattered over the hull.
- CARGO HATCHES: 6 are scattered over the hull.
- DOCKING - HARD & SOFT
- GRAVITY CONTROL
- IFF ANTENNA
- IFF/UHF DATALINK ANTENNA AND TACAN/UHF ANTENNA
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM
- UHF & VHF ANTENNA
COMBAT BONUSES FOR SPACECRAFT TRAINING
The following is in ship-to-ship combat with enemy starships or Protodeviln. They do not apply in ship to mobile weapon combat.
- +3 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot). +1 attack at levels 3, 6, 11 and 15.
- +0 initiative
- +2 to strike
- +2 to dodge
- +3 to roll with impact, reducing damage by half.
- Tilt Dodge Modifier: -5.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
© Aaron Sketchley