Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|BASTER-L/R Mobile Gun Battery Ship|
The BASTER (Bombardment Attack Stealth Transforming Extension Rig) Mobile Gun-Battery class is part of a multi-purpose space battle carrier that was developed on the concept of "comparatively smaller yet excels in manoeuvrability". It has a high manoeuvrability that far surpasses that of a usual warship and a reaction engine cluster of significant power. The design was carried out by Macross Frontier's Hashuu [Yaesu] Heavy Industries and L.A.I., and it was built in a dock inside the Macross Frontier.
The BASTER-L/-R "Mobile Gun-Battery Ships", even when separated from the Macross Quarter, can cruise in the void of space, fold, and so forth on it's own, as well as such things as cruise in the atmosphere and underwater.
The BASTER was designed as a support ship that, after providing fire support and softening attacks for the Macross Quarter fleet, would land to disgorge it's small detachment of troops to support the main landing craft - the ARMD-R; all the while protected by air support from the ARMD-L.
Extension Rig(ging) for the Macross Quarter class
22 (5 officers, 15 enlisted, 2 pilots with the capability to accommodate another 24 personnel on special assignment).
Manufacturer: Hashuu [Yaesu] Heavy Industries and L.A.I.
Government: New Unified Government (Earth)
Customer: S.M.S., New Unified Forces
MDC BY LOCATION:
(1,2) Central Third/Joint
(3) Rear Third/Main Engines
Rail Gun (2)
(4) Sensor Array (top of Rear Third) (2)
Landing Bay Door
Medium Anti-Ship Missile Launcher (2)
Anti-Aircraft Missile Launcher (2)
Twin Beam CIWS Turrets (4)
Armored outer hull (per 12 m area)
Interior walls (per 6 m area)
(5) Pin Point Barrier
- (1) Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the ship out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The ship itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
- (2) Since the ship's electromagnetic docking system is a mechanism in the hull, it can be damaged or destroyed. Once the hull has lost half of its main body MDC, there is a 50% chance that the system will fail every time the main body of the ship is hit with a critical strike thereafter. Once the system has failed, the ship cannot use the electromagnetic docking mechanism to attach to the rear of the Macross Quarter nor to assist in the launch and recovery of ship-borne craft.
- (3) Depleting the MDC of the main engines will force the ship to rely on its secondary engines. Depleting the MDC of the main engines AND secondary engines will leave the ship adrift in space. If in an atmosphere, the ship will crash (destruction of the main engines will render the anti-gravity system useless due to loss of power).
- (4) Destroying both sensor arrays will deprive the ship of all forms of long range communications, radar and targeting. The range and targeting capabilities of the secondary systems are equal to that of a VF-11 Thunderbolt. The ship can still operate, but is at -3 on initiative, -3 to strike, and number of attacks per melee of the weapon systems are reduced by half.
- (5) The pin-point barrier will regenerate at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
0.27 speed of light (approximately 80,000 kmps)
Speed (Auxiliary Drives):
Mach 7 (Mach 14 in space)
Space Fold Range:
35 light years if there are no fold faults.
Planet bound: Can cruise in atmosphere and underwater.
estimated 30 year life span, which can be extended with regular maintenance and overhauls.
Maximum Underwater Depth:
Maximum rate of ascent:
400 m per minute using the anti-gravity propulsion system.
Maximum instantaneous acceleration during combat:
Length: 129 m
Operational Inertial Mass: 8,855 t
Main Engine: Reaction Engine Cluster
Fold Engine: OTM Macross Fold engine cluster system.
Sublight Drive: OTEC/Sentinel Impulse Drive Cluster
Gravity Control System: OTEC Advanced Gravity Control System
- DAMAGE CAPACITY: 2,500 MDC. Regenerates at a rate of 2,500 MD per melee round.
- NOTE: can only generate 1 disc.
5 ELECTRONIC COUNTERMEASURES
Note: In space, Radio and Radar Waves are range x10.
The ship has acquired a fighting strength that can oppose the Vajra by converting or refitting the missile warheads and guns to MDE warhead and beam specification using Fold Quartz extracted from Vajra corpses.
Note: Stats indicate the Effective Range. Maximum Range is effective range x1.5, but is -3 to strike.
In space: Explosions and shock-waves: range x 10, but damage x0.1 in the extended shock-wave; Lasers: range x2; Extended range is range x3, but is -2 to strike and damage x0.5; Other weapons: range x2
1. QUARTER CANNON (1)
The main weapon systems of the Mobile Gun-Battery ship is a Quarter Cannon. The cannon is fixed facing forward and has slightly better performance than the turret version. This cannon is capable of destroying a Vajra Destroyer with a single salvo. It is equipped with a pair (2) of beam cannons that fire in unison.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Heavy Assault
- RANGE: 1,800 km
- DAMAGE: 2D8x1,000 M.D. per cannon per blast.
- RATE OF FIRE: can fire up to 4 times per melee.
- PAYLOAD: Unlimited
2. RAIL CANNONS (2)
The main bombardment cannon of the Mobile Battery ships, located in the center of the ventral and dorsal sides of the BASTER ships, these heavy rail cannons are similar to those on the original Macross and use magnetic accelerator technology to propel shells at incredible velocities torward a target. The shells fired by the cannons are much larger and more accurate than previous rail guns. These immense cannons are used for long range artillery bombardment purposes. The railguns fire a self-guided shell, and are capable of precision fire to a range of more than 500 km.
The shells can be controlled during flight, somewhat similar to how wire-guided missiles are. The shells can be redirected up to 45º off of the initial firing arc, governed by the initial firing angle and muzzle velocity. The shells cannot be redirected to hit targets behind the Mobile Battery Ship. Nor can they be hijacked in midair to hit the ship itself.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Artillery Bombardment
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- RANGE: precise fire to just over 500 km (5,000 km in space).
- DAMAGE: 4D6x1,000 M.D. per cannon per blast.
- RATE OF FIRE: Each rail cannon can fire up to 2 times per melee. The guns can be combined into any volley combination, though they are usually fired in pairs.
- PAYLOAD: 250 per cannon. Additional shells are contained onboard but must be loaded into the guns ammo containers (requires 1D4 hours).
- TIME TO HIT TARGET: Based on a muzzle velocity of approximately Mach 12.0 (12,864 kmph). GMs are advised to either increase the time or decrease the time depending on their opinion of a slower or faster muzzle velocity. (Divide time to target by 10 in space.)
|Time to target
3. MEDIUM SELF-GUIDED ANTI-SHIP MISSILE LAUNCHERS (2)
One anti-ship launcher is on each side of the forward third of the ship.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Defence
- RANGE: 4,000 km
- SPEED: Mach 6+ (7,350 kmph, Mach 12+ in space)
- DAMAGE: 4D10x50 M.D. to 25 m, 4D10x5 M.D. to 50 m, 4D10 M.D. to 75 m.
- BLAST RADIUS: 75 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 to 5 missiles per launcher. Each launcher can fire a maximum of 2 times per melee round. The two launchers can be fired together.
- PAYLOAD: 15 missiles per launcher, 30 missiles total. A few dozen missiles are held in storage, but require 1D4x5+20 minutes to load.
4. ANTI-AIRCRAFT MISSILE LAUNCHERS (2)
Two per side. Each launcher contains 10 missile tubes allowing volleys of up to 10 missiles to be fired at a single target per launcher.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-aircraft
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-Warship
- MISSILES TYPE: Short-range high-maneuverability self-guided missiles
- RANGE: 50 km
- SPEED: Mach 2+ (2,450 kmph, Mach 4+ in space)
- DAMAGE: 3D8x10 M.D.
- BLAST RADIUS: 15 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 to 10 missiles per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: 10 missiles per launcher. Once the missiles are expended, the launcher is reloaded within 1 round via an automated system. The reload system holds 50 missiles per launcher.
- OTHER: Missile Body 10 MDC; Proximity fuse detonation. Defeats target via fragmentation. 1/2 damage vs. armoured targets. 2 attacks, +2 to strike.
5. RAMMINGTON 20 mm TWIN BEAM CIWS (4):
These Close in Weapons Systems (CIWS) can either be computer or manually controlled and do not suffer the negative modifiers to hitting attacking mobile weapons, that larger Starship based weapons do. They are intended primarily for anti-aircraft and anti-missile defense, but can do moderate damage against smaller enemy spacecraft if they get too close. Two BEAM CIWS are located on the port and starboard sides of the BASTER, with 2 near the bow, and 2 near the stern.
- PRIMARY PURPOSE: anti-missile
- SECONDARY PURPOSE: anti-aircraft
- RANGE: 4,000 m
- DAMAGE: 1D6 MD per round. 1D6X10 MD per 10 round burst. Refer to the Gun Pods and Beam Machine Gun Burst and Spray Rules for alternatives.
- RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the controller's number of hand-to-hand attacks. If set on automatic each laser turret can fire up to 4 shots per round.
- PAYLOAD: 40 rounds per melee. The CIWS are limited to bursts of 10 or 20 rounds per attack.
- NOTE: The Beam CIWS can be set on automatic during combat, during which time they have a +3 to strike due to their advanced tracking systems. The Beam CIWS tracking systems will target incoming missiles first and attacking mobile weapons second.
6. SHIP-BORNE CRAFT (STANDARD):
The BASTER serves as a mini-landing ship with a relatively "large" hangar located in the central section of the hull. The armoury usually has enough stores (Super Parts, missiles, etc.) for 5 to 10 combat sorties. The electromagnetic docking mechanism in the central hull is also used to assist in fighter launch and retreval operations.
The hangar ceiling is 15 m high. Only the hangars and cargo bays are macron (battroid) scale. The rest of the ship is micron scale.
2 Beatrice 8x8 Armoured Fighting Vehicle
1 Shuttle/Liason Craft
Room for 2 of any of the following...
Cheyenne II or VF in GERWALK form (max 2)
2 Beatrice or trucks (max 4+2)
3 QF-4000 (AIF-7S) Ghost (max 6)
7. HAND TO HAND COMBAT
If necessary, the pilot of the BASTER can use the ship itself as a weapon. The attack isn't recommended as, even though the PPB may prevent the ship itself from being damaged, the sudden stop will send everything that isn't strapped down flying, and may cause considerable damage or even death among the crew.
- Ram: 1D4x1,000 M.D. (counts as two attacks)
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Ship Sensor Systems
Note: In space, Radio and Radar Waves are range x10.
- CONTROL SYSTEM
- ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVE SENSOR: range 250 km. (Later models are 350 km.)
- FOLD COMMUNICATIONS: range approximately 10 light years (95 trillion km) when deployed in outer space.
- FOLD WAVE SENSOR: can identify up to 3,096 targets simultaneously, and can guide long to medium-range missiles at 186 targets at the same time.
- OPTICS - ATFLiR Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared
- OPTICS: HYBRID SENSOR/TV CAMERA SYSTEM
- RADAR - INTEGEATED MULTI-PURPOSE SENSOR SET: range: over 3,200 km. Can detect and track up to 3,096 targets simultaneously and can record position, speed, and direction of motion for all targets tracked. Can target 186 targets at the same time.
- RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION
OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Ship Other Systems
- AIRLOCKS: 8 are scattered over the hull.
- DOCKING - HARD & SOFT
- GRAVITY CONTROL
- IFF ANTENNA
- IFF/UHF DATALINK ANTENNA AND TACAN/UHF ANTENNA
- LANDING BAY: 1 in the underside of the central hull connecting the hangar to the outside. Destroying the door will depressurize the hangar only. It has two interior airlocks to access the rest of the ship. It requires 2D6 minutes to cycle. The door is operated by radio signal or a control panel with a display, keypad and devices for media input (card swipers, USB ports, etc.). External control panels are protected from space debris by a sliding cover. Some control panels are encrypted or electronically locked.
- LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
- SUBLIGHT ENGINES
- SPACE FOLD SYSTEM
- STEALTHY COMPOSITION
- TRANSFORMATION MECHANISM: allows the the middle third of the BASTER-L/-R to fold over on itself to be able to attach to the rear of the Macross Quarter in Fortress mode. The transformation block also doubles as the ship's hangar and landing struts (used when landing on a surface).
- UHF & VHF ANTENNA
COMBAT BONUSES FOR SPACECRAFT TRAINING
The following is in ship-to-ship combat with enemy starships or Protodeviln. They do not apply in ship to mobile weapon combat.
- +3 attack per melee (plus those of the pilot). +1 attack at levels 3, 6, 11 and 15.
- +1 initiative
- +2 to strike.
- +4 to dodge
- +3 to roll with impact, reducing damage by half.
- Tilt Dodge Modifier: -5.
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand.
© Aaron Sketchley