Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Macross Timeline [Unification War - The First Interstellar War]|
- March: establishment of OTEC, an alien technology analysis research institute, through joint Japanese, American, Russian [USSR], [West] German, English and French collaboration.
- April: research on Anti-Giant Combat Weaponry Systems (later designated as Battroid and Destroid) begins. [Macross Chronicle notes that this could also be considered as begining in March.]
- June: the existence of aliens is officially announced (except for their size and other details, which are kept top secret). Following this, the framing plan for the Earth Unified Government is officially announced.
- July: outbreak of a dispute in [the People's Republic of Garalia in] the Middle East. The frequent disputes and internal conflicts occurring hereafter in all areas of the world become collectively known as the Unification War.
- October: construction of "Apollo", a large permanent base, begins in the Sea of Tranquility on the Lunar surface.
- December: the idea of the Unified Government is announced by the UN. Hereafter, the UN is considered to be the provisional Unified Government. The No.1 craft of the first Anti-Extraterrestrial Humanoid Weapon Destroid is completed. The HWR-00 series begins being designed.
- January: inauguration of the Earth Unified Government. Harlan J. Niiben is the founding Prime Minister. Establishment of the Earth Unified Forces.
- February: The Earth Unified Government officially begins. Establishment of the Earth Unified Forces Army, as well as the Navy and Air Force.
Project startup on the restorating and reconstructing of the fallen ASS-1 alien spaceship for reuse as a capital ship of the Earth Unified Forces, with OTEC as the heart of project. Hereafter, the ASS-1 spaceship is redesignated the SDF-1 (Super Dimension Fortress-1). Space launch scheduled for May 2006.
Stonewell/Bellcom design team completes initial Battroid design based on [the design later designated as] the Destroid.
- March: successful development of new materials by OTEC.
- May: construction begins on a large-scale space manufacturing station at L5 in Lunar orbit, and on the Earth Unified Forces Headquarters for anti-stellar warfare in Alaska. On the same site, the Grand Cannon System I is constructed.
Disputes intensify in many parts of the world, and eventually the Unification War between the Anti Unification Alliance and the Earth Unified Government officially begins.
- July: construction of a permanent Mars base begins. Civilians begin immigrating to South Ataria Island for the ASS-1's restoration.
- August: the theory of the SDF-1's Thermonuclear Reaction System is developed. The F203 begins being designed. The Destroids are put into their first actual combat during the Unification Wars, and are used against humans.
- October: the development of an Earth-made large-scale reaction engine succeeds.
- November: the theory of the SDF-1's Main Cannon firing system is developed.
- February: a tentative plan introduced for an all-regime Variable Fighter for use against the giants. The VF-0 Project begins.
The mass production of the unmanned QF-2200 Ghost fighter begins. It is subsequently introduced into actual combat.
- March: the Grand Cannon System Theory perfected.
- May: the MBR-04 series begins being designed.
- June: construction of the ARMD system begins.
- July: the First Defensive Battle for South Ataria Island against an Anti Unification Alliance Forces attack.
- November: in OTEC, an Earth-made Thermonuclear Reaction Plant surpasses the criticality point.
- QF-2000D Ghost mass production begins.
- March: the Unified Space Forces is established.
- April: construction of the ARMD series space carriers, as well as the [Oberth] Space destroyers, begins at the L5 manufacturing station.
- July: the MBR-07 series begins being designed.
- November: using feedback from restoration work on ASS-1, construction begins on the SDF-2 -an interstellar space warship entirely of Earth origin- in a factory beneath Apollo Lunar Base. An assignment of Unified Space Forces personnel arrives at Mars Base.
- December: the trial production of the MBR-04 series begins.
- The F203 formally adopted as the main fighter of the Unified Forces.
- Development begins on a competing fighter (later known as VF-X-2) to the fighter (later) known as the VF-1.
- The first flight of the QF-3000E prototype.
- January: OTEC develops the Thermonuclear Reaction Bomb. The Thermonuclear Reaction Bomb is perfected by OTEC.
- February: a Thermonuclear Reaction Bomb explosion test on the Lunar surface succeeds.
- February: construction on Grand Cannon II begins in the Australian Autonomous Region.
- September: the super-small-scale Thermonuclear Reaction Plant perfected by OTEC.
- October: construction on the Grand Cannon III begins in Africa in the Victorian Autonomous Region.
- November: deterioration in the world economy due to extensive delays on, and defense expense increases for, the SDF-1 Restoration Project.
- December: the first VF-0 Variable Fighter is completed. The use of Reaction Explosions begins during the Grand Cannon construction work.
- The mass production of the the QF-3000E begins.
founding Earth Unification Government [representative] Prime Minister Harlan J. Niven [Niiben (sic)] is assassinated. Robert A. Rhysnink [Rhysling] is installed as his successor.
June: the Goddard, the second Oberth class Space Destroyer, is commissioned.
July: outbreak of guerilla warfare all over America.
August: withdrawal from Mars Base, led by Harry Miler.
September: The third Oberth class Space Destroyer, Tsiolkovsky, is hijacked by the Anti Unification Alliance Forces.
- January: outbreak of rioting [in Russia] in the Kirghiz, and Kazakh Autonomous Regions. The Second Defensive Battle for South Ataria Island.
- February: the trial production of the MBR-07-Mk I begins.
the first Oberth class Space Destroyer is commissioned.
October: the trial production of the HWR-00 series begins.
November: the under-construction Grand Cannon II is destroyed in Australia in an Anti Unification Alliance Forces' retaliatory attack on the Unification Forces. Through the use of OTM, the Super-Large Semi-Submersible Aircraft Carrier CVS-101 Prometheus is commissioned.
- 8 at 18:00: the Mars return fleet is destroyed, with 3,055 Unification Forces personnel onboard, by Tsiolkovsky's attack.
- 10: the Unification Forces Headquarters officially announces the destruction Mars return fleet.
The Unification Forces destroy the Anti Unification Alliance Forces' captured Tsiolkovsky Space Destroyer via an attack with Reaction Weapons by Captain Bruno J. Global's Space Destroyer, Goddard. It's the first use of Reaction Weapons in actual combat.
- The basic design of the Variable Fighter System is completed.
- Development begins on the fighters [later known as] VF-X-3 and VF-X-4.
October: the Anti-Unification Alliance Forces use strategic nuclear weapons in the Central Russian Administrative Region. St. Petersburg's destruction demonstrates that the Anti-Unification Forces also have the capability for retaliatory strikes using Thermonuclear Reaction Weapons on the Earth's surface.
December: the Third Defensive Battle for South Ataria Island ends.
- Early in the Year: trial prototype production of the VF-X Variable Fighter System begins.
- March: construction on Grand Cannon IV begins in the Lunar North Polar Region.
- April: SLV-111 [CLV-111] Daedalus is commissioned as a Super-large Assault Landing Vessel.
- May: outbreak of the Third Defensive Battle for South Ataria.
- June: decision made to formally adopt the MBR-04 series of Destroids. Mass production begins.
Misa Hayase lives in the Unified Forces Officers' Academy housing as the Unification War nears its conclusion.
- As one new weapon after another is introduced by both opposing forces, more conflicts erupt in all areas of the world.
- Roll-out of the first Octos Destroid.
- January: training center for the SDF-1 crew established on South Ataria Island.
- 20: the official conclusion of Unification War because the Russian components withdraw from the Anti-Unification Alliance. In fact, the war continues.
- January: rollout of the MBR-07-Mk I Spartan.
- February: the VF-X nontransformable flight test vehicle, as well as the VF-X1 prototype Variable Fighter, begin first flight tests. Rollout of the MBR-04-Mk I. Rollout of the single HWR-00-Mk IP.
- March: the stationing of Destroids aboard the SLV-111 Daedalus begins.
- May: construction on the Grand Cannon V begins in the Brazilian Autonomous Region in South America.
- June: space tests of the VF-X1 begin.
- November: rollout of the MBR-04-Mk VI Tomahawk.
- January: rollout of MBR-07-Mk I Spartan.
- February: an alien relic is discovered and recovered from the bottom of the ocean near the island of Mayan.
- June: the MBR-07-Mk I Spartan is upgraded to the Mk II with an improved Video Search System and additional anti-air weaponry.
- July: the Mayan Conflict breaks out between the Unified Forces Asuka aircraft carrier and the Anti-Unification Alliance Forces. The Unification Government and the Anti-Unification Alliance Forces respectively secretly deploy the VF-0 and SV-51 while disputing over a recently discovered phenomenon on Mayan Island in the South Pacific Ocean. (The events are kept secret for at least five decades.)
The Bird Man, which was the alien relic, awakens and goes out of control.
- September: after the Bird Man Incident, the nations who joined the Anti-Unification Alliance announce their withdraw from it. Rollout of the HWR-00 Mk.II series model.
- November: mass production of the All-Regime Variable Fighter VF-1 series begins.
- 23: rollout of the first trial production VF-1A Variable Fighter.
- 29: maiden flight of the first trial production VF-1A Variable Fighter.
- December: the real end of the Unification War. The Earth Unification Government is strengthened. Space Carriers ARMD I and ARMD II are commissioned.
|The First Interstellar War [Space War 1 (SWI)]|
- January: SDF-1 is christened Macross.
- 6: the Unified Forces hold a meeting about the Earth's defence. It is decided that in the event of contact with extraterrestrials, humans should not be aggressors.
- 7: Macross's Space Launch Ceremony. The Zentraadi Forces' Buritai Fleet arrives within the Solar System. During its enemy search operation for Supervision Army survivors, the fleet happened to detect traces of a Supervision Army Gun Destroyer's (the ASS-1/ SDF-1 Macross) Defold reaction from 10 light years away, and came in pursuit. The Macross's main cannon automatically fires [at the fleet].
Outbreak of the First Interstellar War between the Earth and the Zentraedi.
The Macross misnavigates during a Fold, and Folds Out outside of [the major planets' orbits in] the Solar System. It begins the return voyage to Earth via conventional space travel.
- Project Christie
- March: ARMD III commissioned. Rollout of the MBR-04-Mk X Defender.
City area completed aboard the Macross. The Macross's first transformation.
- 23: Launch of the Long Voyage mission from the L5 Lab Station.
- May: ARMD IV and ARMD V commissioned.
- July: development of the MBR-04-Mk XII Phalanx begins.
- August: ARMD VI commissioned.
- 5: the Macross's Battle of Mars Base.
ARMD VII commissioned.
The Unified Space Force's SVMAT-102 squadron of VT-1 Valkyrie trainers assigned to ARMD-04 for three months.
- 10 the Unified Space Forces awards Hikaru Ichijyo with the Titanium Medal, promotes him from Staff Sergeant to 2nd Lt., and assigns him to lead the Vermillion Team [Platoon].
- 17: the Macross's onboard TV station begins broadcasting.
Operation Bull's Eye
- 8: the Skull Squadron's Vermillion Team escorts an ES-11D Cat's Eye -with Misa Hayase onboard- on a reconnaissance mission, while the same squadron's Purple Team escorts a second ES-11D Cat's Eye -with Emma Granger onboard. Misa Hayase, Hikaru Ichijyo, Maximilian Jenius, and Hayao Kakizaki, become prisoners of the Zentraadi. The first contact between Earth Humans and the Zentraadi occurs.
- Unspecified: the Macross returns home to Earth. Debut of singer Lynn Minmei.
- 24: Kamujin's ship attacks the Earth.
- 30: Roy Fokker's death.
- 6 to 7: destruction of North America's Ontario Autonomous Region by the bursting of the Macross's Omnidirectional Barrier.
The Macross, under orders to sortie away from Earth, leaves the Earth's atmosphere again.
Rollout of the MBR-04-Mk XII Phalanx.
- Development begins on a space fighter [later known as the VF-5].
- January: the film Shao Pai Long [Little White Dragon] is screened aboard Macross.
ARMD VIII commissioned.
- 10: Zentraadi begin seeking refuge aboard the Macross.
Alaska's Grand Cannon I completed.
- February: the first instellar marriage -between the Earth Human Maximilian Jiinasu and the Zentraadi Miria Farina- is broadcast.
- 11: a Peace treaty agreement is concluded between the Macross and the Buritai Adocurasu Fleet.
The Bodoru Main Fleet arrives within the Solar System. The Battle with the Bodoru Zer Main Fleet.
- 11:00 - 11:27 Macross Standard Time: due to the "Lynn Minmei" Operation, the Unified Forces and the Buritai Fleet annihilate the Bododoru Fleet and triumph.
Land battles begins on the Earth.
- March: conclusion of the First Interstellar War. A total of several hundred thousand [up to approximately one million] survivors are confirmed in Grand Cannons I, III, and V; the Lunar surface's Apollo Base; and the Space Colony Clusters [Bunches].
Earth atmospheric purification operation begins.
- April: establishment of the New Unified Government.
Education programs for the Zentraadi begin.
My-clone processing of Zentraadi applicants begins.
- May: Macross City reconstruction begins.
the mass cloning of people -as well as animals and plants- through the use of Protoculture technology begins.
The nature reclaimation project and Earth ecosystem rehabilitation begins.
- June: the half-constructed SDF-2 in the Lunar surface's Apollo Base is renamed Megaroad-01, and construction resumes as an Emigrant Ship.
At the same time, patrols of the Solar System begin, using Super Valkyries based at Apollo Base.
- August: surviving parts plants [factories] scattered around the Space Colonies and in the Lunar surface's Apollo Base begin producing the VF-1 Valkyrie again.
- November: new Variable Fighters designed from converted Valkyries begin their first developmental test flights.
- December: repairs to Buritai Kuridaniku's flagship are completed, and it is recommissioned as the first battleship of the New Unified Forces space fleet. My-crone processing rate of the Zentradi exceeds 50%.
- Start of the Sleipnir Plan - a VF-1 upgrade programme. The project is cancelled soon after.
- March: Maximilian and Miria Farina Jiinasu conceive the first interstellar interracial child. She is named Komiria Maria Farina Jiinasu.
- August: giant [not My-clone] Zentraadi riots begin breaking out in all parts of Earth. Patrols begin to maintain public law and order.
- September: the drafting of the Mankind Emigration Project begins. Both Super Long Range Emigration -by means of specially designed large Emigration Ships (for the chief purpose of preserving the species)-, and Close Range Emigration implemented by converting old-style transport ships -to counteract Earth's population explosion and shortage of resources-, are undertaken in parallel.
Rollout of the YVF-3000 at the L5 station.
- October: outbreak of armed resistance by Zentradi.
Operation to capture a Factory Satellite begins under the direction of Buritai's flagship. This operation is the first of three major campaigns to capture Factories Satellites.
- November: the [captured] Factory Satellite arrives at Earth.
Kamjin Kravshera's forces begin maneuvers.
The Lynn Minmei Hostage Operation.
Kamjin Kravshera launches a strike on Onogi City to capture a Reaction Engine power condenser.
- Shinnakasu and Stonewell Bellcom begin a joint project for developing a Variable Fighter [later known as the VF-5000] with high maneuverability in atmosphere.
The Macross Compendium
Dan Henwood, Alan Lisle, Jet Jockey
Various members of the cast and crew of the MRC and MRG.
© Aaron Sketchley