Official Setting information is in darkgreen
. Extended Universe information is in steelblue
|Jināru Air-battle Pod [Dogfight Pod, Gnerl] |
The aerospace single-seater fighter aircraft of the Zentrādi Forces. It is a small, aerospace fighter aircraft. Even though the Air-battle Pod isn't small—if an Earthling sees its 20.6 m length—it is small as a Zentrādi Mobile Weapon. Nevertheless, as it is able to battle from atmospheric entry to escape, the Air-battle Pod keeps its considerable potential hidden.
The Zentrādi Forces use armaments developed during the age of the Interstellar Republic (the Galactic Empire), and the Air-battle Pod isn't an exception to that. Although there are individual differences in the performance of the Air-battle Pods—as might be expected from Zentrādi soldiers who don't have the concept of repairing their aircraft. A great number of Air-battle Pods capable of combat were released into battle against the VFs in order to secure air and space superiority in the First Interstellar War.
The Air-battle Pod demonstrated high-manoeuvrability even in combat within the atmosphere with its three main rockets, three auxiliary rockets, three thrust inclination plates in the rear of the aircraft, and the high manoeuvrability nozzles in the sides. Two high-manoeuvrability nozzles are built-into both sides of the aircraft, they assist in lateral movement. In space and so on, the Air-battle Pod demonstrates an inexhaustible, overwhelming manoeuvrability in every direction.
The cockpit is forward, and there is only one pilot. The Air-battle Pod doesn't have a variety of uses—like the Gurāji or the Nūjaderu-Gā—and its defensive capabilities are also low. Due to that, however, its manoeuvrability is high, and it performed life-or-death struggles time and again with the Fighter form of the VF-1 Valkyrie.
During the First Interstellar War, the Air-battle Pod battled the VF-1 on more than equal terms. After the war, it was used as a New Unified Forces aircraft, and was also loaded aboard Buritai's ship in the operation to capture the Factory Satellite. It is painted green. Its cockpit is white.
In the following years, the Air-battle Pod was used by emigrant planets and so on as a low-cost support fighter for VFs, as well as a ground-launched space interceptor. Most Air-battle Pods used by humans or humanized Zentrādi have been modifed to support Unified Forces' munitions. Some have been modified to support My-clone-sized pilots—the modification being little more than the replacement of the giant-sized Zentrādi seat with a My-clone-sized cockpit, and the addition of rungs and a retractable boarding ladder to the fuselage.
While the Air-battle Pod is easy to acquire and has a low maintenance cost, it needs a large hangar facility and giant-sized Zentrādi or Battroids—such as the Destroid Works—to maintain. Due to that, the Air-battle Pod tended to be replaced by surplus VF-4's or newly-built VF-14's after the 2030's.
By the 2060's, the Air-battle Pod is mostly only used in remote or frontier regions in a low-cost support fighter and ground-launched space interceptor roles. However, heavily modified Air-battle Pods are often seen in Vanquish Races, with a category devoted to it.
Vehicle Type: Zentrādi high-manouevrability fighter craft
Class: aerospace Mobile Weapon
Crew: pilot only
Manufacturer: Zentrādi Fully Automated Weaponry Development and Production
Customer: Zentrādi Forces
- Zentrādi Forces specification
- Unified Forces specification
MDC BY LOCATION:
Tri-barrel Laser Pulse Guns (2)
Missile Launchers (4)
(1) Sensor Eye
Engine Thrusters (3)
(2) Main Body
(3) Pilot's Compartment/Escape Pod
- (1) Destroying the Sensor Eye will knock out the major optical sensor systems. Radar and communications will be unaffected. Attackers must make a called shot at -6 to strike due to its small size.
- (2) Depleting the main body will destroy the vehicle. Optional: 50 MDC for the canopy and 100 MDC for the remainder of the vehicle. Requires a called shot to hit the canopy.
- • Zentrādi Forces specification: it will probably kill the pilot as well.
- • Unified Forces specification: the pilot will be automatically ejected from the vehicle before it explodes.
- (3) Unified Forces specification only.
FLYING: Mach 6.3 max speed at 11,000 m.
MAXIMUM RATE OF ASCENT: under investigation
CEILING: fully transatmospheric, and can attain orbital velocity above an Earth-type planet under its own power.
CRUISING RANGE: under investigation
VTOL CAPABILITY: able to hover indefinitely.
G limit: 9 (normal), 11 (giant Zentrādi), 12 (giant Meltrandi).
OPERATIONAL UNDERWATER DEPTH: 100 m
HEIGHT: under investigation
WIDTH: under investigation
LENGTH: 20.6 m
EMPTY MASS: under investigation
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: N/A
CARGO: small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings.
POWER PLANT: 6 high-manoeuvrability rocket engines, and 3 auxiliary rocket engines
1. Active Stealth:
the Air-battle Pod is equipped with the initial active stealth mechanism. Refer to Active Stealth Systems - 1st Generation
2. Energy Conversion Armour:
refer to Energy Conversion Armour
3. Heat and Radiation Shields:
refer to Heat And Radiation Shields
to prevent capture of a vehicle by the enemy, the pilot can activate the self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter to explode and obliterate all internal systems.
• TIME DELAY: up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot)
• DAMAGE: 1D6x10 M.D.
• RANGE: 6 m
Unified Forces specification
Unified Forces specification Air-battle Pods *may* also be equipped with:
5. IDECM (Integrated Defensive Electronic CounterMeasures):
refer to IDECM
• Retractable EC (Electronic Countermeasures) Antenna: refer to AN/ALQ-131(V) for details.
• Countermeasure Dispensers: a combined chaff, flare and smoke discharger useable in all modes. Refer to Chaff/Flare/Smoke Discharger System for details.
6. Ejector Seat with Anti-G Mechanism and Homing Signal:
refer to Ejector Seat, Transponder and Survival Kit
The Air-battle Pod *may* also have 1 of the following:
• Seat Angle and Vital Point Stimulation: G-limit: 11 [My-clones]. Refer to Anti-G Mechanism: Seat Angle and Vital Point Stimulation for details.
• Mobile G-reducing Seat: G-limit: 15 [My-clones]. Refer to Anti-G Mechanism: Mobile G-reducing Seat for details.
1. Three-Barrel Beam Gun (1):
The primary guns of the Air-battle Pod.
- RANGE: 2,500 m
- DAMAGE: 1D4x10 MD per barrel. The cannons are generally fired simultaneously, for 3D4x10 MD.
- RATE OF FIRE: equal to the pilot's combined number of attacks. The guns may be fired separately or together (both blasts count as one attack.)
- PAYLOAD: effectively unlimited.
2. Twin-tubed Missile Launchers (3):
Missile launchers that are built into the fuselage. The maximum number of missiles that can be loaded is unknown.
- Zentrādi Forces specification
- RANGE: 80 km
- SPEED: 2,250 kmph
- DAMAGE: 3D6x10 M.D. to 12 m
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 or 2 missile per launcher. All launchers can be firelinked for a maximum of 6 missiles in a volley. One volley counts as one attack.
- PAYLOAD: 4 missile per launcher for a total of 12.
- SENSOR TYPE: heat seeking.
- COMBAT: 2 until the missile is out of fuel (in most cases, the missile will use one attack to get to the target. The missile usually only has two attacks when fired from the chasing plane in a dog fight).
- +4 strike Air-to-Air. +2 strike Air-to-Ground. 9 times out of 10, proximity fuse detonates. Defeats target via fragmentation. 1/2 damage vs. armoured targets.
- Unified Forces specification
- The missile launchers have been adapted to use Unified Forces' munitions. The Air-battle Pod can mount a combination of missiles, or missiles and missile-launchers. Refer to the Missiles Resource for further details, and use the FCS applicable to your game setting (specifically, what FCS the Air-battle Pod has been set to in your game). While the Air-battle Pod excels in air combat, it can also be used for bombing. If bombs are carried, they are normally only stowed in the bottom Twin-tube Missile Launchers.
- In general, at least two missile launcher tubes carry micro-missiles.
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 or 2 missiles per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: 10 per missile launcher tube.
- • Micro-missiles: usually Bifors HMM-01, but any type is possible.
Missiles & Bombs:
- RATE OF FIRE: 1 missile per launcher.
- PAYLOAD: depends on the munition. Only 1 type of munition per launch tube.
- • Medium Range Missiles: 2 per missile launcher tube.
- • Mk 82 Snakeye-sized Bombs: 5 missile launcher tube.
- • GBU-10C Paveway II-sized Bomb: 2 per missile launcher tube.
3. Hand to Hand Combat:
Ramming attack only. Ram attacks ALWAYS
destroy the Air-battle Pod.
- Similar or smaller sized craft: destroyed
- Larger craft: moderate to heavily damaged
- Spaceships: usually causes only a hole with minor internal damage (GM's discretion).
Some of the following systems are *only* on Unified Forces specification Air-battle Pods. Unless otherwise noted, refer to Avionics
FCS (Fire Control System): the Air-battle Pod's FCS is an air-to-air type weapon control system. It has only limited air-to-ground capabilities. Refer to FCS (Fire Control System) and Era for details.
Inertial Navigation System (Autopilot)
Optics—Hybrid Sensor/TV Camera System
Radar: equivalent to the VF-1. See AWG-20 for details.
• Range: 300 km search range, 225 km lock-on fighter sized vehicles.
• Height: 25,000 m to small moving targets near or on the ground not obscured by foliage.
• TWS: 24 targets, engage up to 6 at the same time; ACM: 18 targets.
Radio/Video Communication: range: 1,000 km.
• IFF/UHF Datalink Antenna
• Retractable EC (Electronic Countermeasures) Antenna
• TACAN (Tactical Air Navigation Antenna)/UHF Antenna
• VHF Antenna
External Audio Pickup
Laser Marker and Laser Spot Tracker
Laser Targeting System: range: 12,000 m (vertical).
Optics—Fixed Infrard Sensor and Multi-band Optical Sensor
Optics—Hybrid Sensor/TV Camera System
Optics—TACS (Tactical Airborne Camera System)
Unless otherwise noted, refer to Other Systems
- Aerial Refueling: refer to Aerial Refueling for details.
- Battlenet: refer to Battlenet [Zentrādi] for details.
- Landing Skids: in the lower part of the fuselage. When flying, they are stowed inside the airframe.
- Tactical Life Support System
COMBAT BONUSES FOR Air-battle Pod TRAINING
BASIC COMBAT TRAINING for personnel trained in other Mobile Weapons:
+0 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot). +1 attack at levels 3, 9, and 15.
+1 to strike
+4 to dodge (optional: +3 at low, +4 at medium, and +6 at high speed differentials)
+0 to roll with punch, fall, or impact
ADVANCED COMBAT TRAINING for personnel trained in the Air-battle Pod:
+2 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot). +1 attack at levels 3, 6, 11, and 15.
+1 on initiative
+1 to strike
+5 to dodge (optional: +4 at low, +5 at medium, and +7 at high speed differentials)
+2 to roll with punch, fall, or impact
Both BASIC and ADVANCED Combat Training:
- -5 Tilt Dodge Modifier (applied to the regular dodge bonus)
- Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand
Palladium Books Game Engine and MDC Rules
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (TV Series)
Macross Perfect Memory
Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works
Based off of the UNSDB's Gnerl Fighter Pod stats by Daniel Henwood.
© Aaron Sketchley